Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need help getting HD audio to work with my android box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I've got an android box ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Amlogic...B07JGZ5P6H ) with the AMlogic chipset. ANd ive dirrectly connected that to my Yamaha HTR 3071/RX-V 383. Im very impressed with both devices. But i cant seem to get the Dolby True HD and the DTS HD to work. Every other codec that was under passtrough i enabled, so Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital + ect but only Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD are missing.

That despite the fact that my Yamaha receiver fully supports both HD audio formats, does anyone have the magic solution?

With kind regards
If it is anything like the Oreo 8.1 AMLogic Firmware on the 2018 Mi Box S, IEC61937 audio support has been dropped with that version of Firmware.

Kodi Krypton onwards needs IEC61937 support for HD Audio Passthrough.

Otherwise you may need to enable "Expert" settings, bottom left of Kodi Audio settings window for the HD Audio options to appear.
(2019-05-30, 19:51)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]If it is anything like the Oreo 8.1 AMLogic Firmware on the 2018 Mi Box S, IEC61937 audio support has been dropped with that version of Firmware.

Kodi Krypton onwards needs IEC61937 support for HD Audio Passthrough.

Otherwise you may need to enable "Expert" settings, bottom left of Kodi Audio settings window for the HD Audio options to appear.
any idea should that be the case if its ever coming back? Also i already have it on expert.
You would have to hassle your device seller who would then have to try and hassle AMLogic for IEC61937 support.
Xiaomi know about the issue as well, and I've not seen an update from them adding back such HD audio passthrough support to the "S" model.

Stupid thing is the 2016 Mi Box running Oreo 8.0 still has IEC61937 audio support in Firmware.

You could try Sideloading with the XPlore App, @Fritsch's forceraw Kodi audio build:

https://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/android/arm/
(2019-05-31, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]You would have to hassle your device seller who would then have to try and hassle AMLogic for IEC61937 support.
Xiaomi know about the issue as well, and I've not seen an update from them adding back such HD audio passthrough support to the "S" model.

Stupid thing is the 2016 Mi Box running Oreo 8.0 still has IEC61937 audio support in Firmware.

You could try Sideloading with the XPlore App, @Fritsch's forceraw Kodi audio build:

how does that work exactly(not the install process but the apk itself). Do i need to update it every time kodi updates? or is it a one time thing?
(2019-06-01, 16:04)MarcelDG88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-05-31, 03:08)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]You would have to hassle your device seller who would then have to try and hassle AMLogic for IEC61937 support.

how does that work exactly(not the install process but the apk itself). Do i need to update it every time kodi updates? or is it a one time thing? 
(the forceraw  audio apk)
Everytime as your box has broken firmware. The work your seller did not do is now put on you. And: it's not guaranteed at all that it works, especially the combination forceraw + amlogic is nothing that would even make sense. Just try ... I for my part would return the box.
Just for those reading - I believe anything new from the Android AMLogic vendors that is running the Oreo 8.1 or greater will not have the required IEC61937 support needed for Kodi HD audio passthrough in device Firmware.
The device discussed in this thread is number three with Oreo 8.1 that I have read that is missing such support

Also be aware new AMLogic chipsets like the S905X2/Y2 or the S922X in new Android Boxes cannot dual boot CoreELEC Kodi either to give you HD audio passthrough.

As @fritsch said, it may be a case of return the device if Android HD audio is important.
A Debug Log would help. If we see that they implemented DTS-HD RAW, we could easily use RAW instead of IEC.

E.g. if there are "more" capabilities with RAW than IEC - just use RAW.

Back at the time when we made IEC default most boxes including old FireTVs just sucked doing RAW with heavy out of sync and broken implementations.
(2019-06-02, 09:19)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Just for those reading - I believe anything new from the Android AMLogic vendors that is running the Oreo 8.1 or greater will not have the required IEC61937 support needed for Kodi HD audio passthrough in device Firmware.
The device discussed in this thread is number three with Oreo 8.1 that I have read that is missing such support

Also be aware new AMLogic chipsets like the S905X2/Y2 or the S922X in new Android Boxes cannot dual boot CoreELEC Kodi either to give you HD audio passthrough.

As @fritsch said, it may be a case of return the device if Android HD audio is important.
No its not important persé, i just dont want a HD track to be played in stereo. But in the meantime i found out that DTS Master track or DTS HD are the best options at the moment, since they are backwards compatible (i.e. they contain a 1500kbps core dts track inside the master track), if i use dolby true HD i just get stereo with passtrough since its not backwards compatible.

Maybe controversial but what codec is considered superior in terms of audio quality? Dolby (for instance a DD track at 640kbps) or a DTS track (at for instance 780/1500kbps).

Also is there any way to output in LPCM with Kodi? So if i convert the truehd track to LPCM it will be recognized as LPCM by my av receiver(yea it supports LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 fyi Smile )
Usually the DTS soundtracks should have superior quality audio.

Install XPlore App from Playstore, then install the forceRAW.apk previously mentioned and see what audio you get.

I doubt > 2.0 LPCM would work with the AMLogic Firmware in that device, but you can try setting audio channels to 5.1 or 7.1 and see what happens.
(2019-06-03, 03:13)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Usually the DTS soundtracks should have superior quality audio.

Install XPlore App from Playstore, then install the forceRAW.apk previously mentioned and see what audio you get.

I doubt > 2.0 LPCM would work with the AMLogic Firmware in that device, but you can try setting audio channels to 5.1 or 7.1 and see what happens.

Sadly the forceraw apk didnt work, oh well not really bothered by it.

Quick question ive got a movie that i want to watch in the near future. It has an DTS Master Audio track with a DTS core in it that has a 768kb bitrate. Is it maybe an idea to convert the master track to a normal DTS track with 1500kb (or 1.5mb normal dts track) or is the difference between the 2(so 768 vs 1500kb) neglectable?