Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Experiencing library problems new version of Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just upgraded from a fairly old (think it was around v15) version to what I think must be v18. I do find the new interface very complicated and difficult to use, but luckily there was the option to get back a more familiar skin with Confluence, which has helped to some extent.
The problems I am having are adding my content. 
Music videos went in ok - no problem
Movies went in ok, no problem.
Tv Shows, I found that it wont scan recursively now - I have TV Shows/Genre/Show title. I realise you are not supposed to have the files grouped into genre folders but it is easier for me to organise this way, and it always used to work no problem - I just went to each genre folder (example: Crime) and scanned that genre folder in. Only twenty or so folders to do so not too much of a problem. However this doesn't seem to work now - I just get Kodi looking up "Crime...something or other" (in this particular example) and have to go to the show folder below - it took a long time to do it this way  but I finally got there. Now I have trouble again, somehow I deleted the tvShows library and now I cannot get to rescan anything.
But the biggest problem is with Music. Having just spent an age putting my music into the correct fashion (I used to just view in file mode which was pretty good as I have folder artworks and each album was on its own). Now I have the albums as Artist/Album title but that was all just screwed up by the scraper thinking my "various artist" was all separate albums - the whole thing went into a mess and I tried to delete it - which I did once by removing the source. But I added some albums in one at a time that I now cannot get rid of no matter how I try. I'm trying to rescan in all the albums (I removed the offending compilation album and want to see what's what now) but I can't get it to do anything. I spent nearly a week trying to get this to work, it was all fine before - I guess if it aint broke don't try to fix it. I'm hating this new Kodi so much - can anyone advise if I can get back to the old vesrion that just worked? Or any way to delete the music and rescan? It's making me ill!
thanks
@JohnyLondon

You have two different and complicated questions, so it would help if you split into two separate posts- one for tv shows, one for music. I'll keep this one as TV Shows so edit out the Music question, and crate a new thread in the Music forum.

I'll start off with your tv shows question. Read this... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=336969
Thanks for the reply. I had already set the scraper for tv shows to tvdb rather tham imdb - why did it change at some point? I previously used tvdb and thought it better not to change. The other thing I realised was that "folder contains only one tv show" was enabled, so disabling that I'm now able to get things to scan from one of my genre folders. Happy days.
As all my tv shows (and movies for that matter) were properly recognised previously (and all have the nfo and other files saved into the respective tv show folders) I was surprised at having any problem. I switched between skins a couple times trying to figure stuff out, I don't think that helped.
So that just leaves the music now. As I said, I used to just view it in file mode which was quick and easy (when you don't have anything at all in the library) but decided this time around I would like to go to the next step and get everything properly scanned.  I see in the how to it says it should be artist/album title/trackno - artist - song title but I used the convention that piccard gave me as default - so I have artist/album/track title. It looked a lot tidier. Actually that was for mp3 files which I put in my phone and works perfectly, the files in Kodi are nearly all WAV but I painstakingly changed everything to mirror what piccard had done with the mp3's - hence it took so long to do. I suppose what I need to know now is whether the way I have the wavs named can ever work and if there is a way to clear the music library to start again - I have a few albums that wont budge - I introduced them by somehow scanning them individually. I think a fresh start now that I took out a troublesome various artist folder would help to see what is or isn't going on.
It's years since I came on the forum 'cos everything has just worked since I abandoned trying to use tv/pvr in Kodi! Only a bodged update and subsequent new sd card has caused all this trouble - that and my foolish desire to sort the music library! BTW a few titles in music did seem to scan ok so I get a glimpse at what it could be like!
I am a bit confused. Have you solved your TV Show problem? It sounded like you had but then you finished the paragraph with...
(2019-06-11, 12:10)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think that helped.

I did ask you to create a new thread in Music, but you have ignored that and continued on asking for assistance with music library. Why?
I'm still scanning in the tv shows - will finish tonite, but it's looking promising.
Ok - I didn't get what was meant, I'll post over in music about that issue. thanks.
(2019-06-11, 12:42)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still scanning in the tv shows - will finish tonite, but it's looking promising.
Great!! Where did the NFO Files come from- Kodi Export or a media manager?
I've always tried to keep my library carefully, and all arts/nfo's etc are exported from kodi into the relative show/film folders regularly, so I was well prepared for this new install, and it took me rather by surprise what with being a very different look/feel and also I guess I missed a couple things like setting the default to more than one show per folder. I have had quite a lot of experience with Kodi before but since everything ran ok for several years I have avoided messing it around.
I set to scrape from tvdb but my understanding is that it will still prefer the locally stored information - though there is a local only option but I haven't had much luck with it in the past and in any case when I add new stuff it needs to get scraped.
The new Kodi really threw me.
Disaster - I've just been checking my tv shows and everything is all over the place. I had been scanning in my genre folders and according to the little scan bar top right the correct titles seem to be picked up, but looking now everything is without rhyme nor reason.
Examples: Catweazle has loads of Great British train Journeys mixed in with it, Borat has got Blakes 7 in it, Cunk on.. has got star trek specials in it,  The tomorrow people episodes crop up in various folders including Curry & Chips. Utter madness. The list goes on.
Remember - all these shows are correctly labelled and have all the necessary nfo files in them - and worked perfectly in older version of Kodi!
Is it not possible just to down grade to the older version wherr everything just worked?
Sad
@JohnyLondon

While I am happy to help, I find it a bit annoying that you don't provide the required information. I gave you a link in my first post that lists required information. Where is it? In addition, post the tvshow.nfo file for a couple of these messed up titles and a couple of episode nfo files for the episodes in the wrong place.

Stop jumping to conclusions that v18 is your problem. v17 won't fix corrupted nfo files. All I can do is guess at this stage, but I think your problem is your original scrape of the library. Where did that come from? Did you use a Media Manager or did you use the Kodi Scrapers? Remember... ORIGINAL scrape from which you then exported the Kodi library to NFO Files, not what you are doing now.
Hi,
I'm still trying to figure out how to do the log thing - I got it working but on trying to upload it failed because it said the file was greater than 1mb?.  
All I have is a hard drive with all the media on it and it has all the nfo's etc included in the relevant folders. I used to export library to it from time to time as I added content. But Everything had just come from Kodi scrapers, so the original scrape is what I am using now. I have it set to scrape rather than local info only as in the past I've found it doesn't work with local only (plus I'll be wanting to add shows from time to time which will obviously need new scrapes). All I have done is put a new sd card in the pi, with the latest o/s on. I can't use the old sd card o/s because I messed it up on a failed update. 
I'm wondering if there is another default setting that has changed, that I missed?
(2019-06-15, 17:18)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]it failed because it said the file was greater than 1mb?.  
Try https://paste.ubuntu.com , it allows for larger files/pastes.

(2019-06-15, 17:18)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]All I have done is put a new sd card in the pi, with the latest o/s on.
And which OS is that?
(2019-06-15, 19:50)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-15, 17:18)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]it failed because it said the file was greater than 1mb?.  
Try https://paste.ubuntu.com , it allows for larger files/pastes.
(2019-06-15, 17:18)JohnyLondon Wrote: [ -> ]All I have done is put a new sd card in the pi, with the latest o/s on.
And which OS is that? 
Just to let you know, all this mucking around with log files and what have you was just too much of a faff. I managed to get the older kodi (16) loaded onto an sd card and I'm up and running again. Though the whole process from breaking my original build, going through v18 etc has taken weeks. 
I think the underlying problem I had was the default setting "folder contains a single tv show." If on any occasion I missed unchecking that, (when adding one of my genre folders) then all the files were getting mis read. To add to the confusion, I think there were a couple of different routes to arriving at that screen (sorry I can't be more specific) and that was another reason that that might have got left ticked.
Just one last thing - a suggestion - would it be possible to include a "scan recursively" for tv shows? My movies are all grouped into genre folders and I just scan the top folder (movies) and it works, so presumable it could work on my tv shows (which have genre folders inside the tv shows folder) that way I'd get them all in one hit.
thanks, I'll stick with v16 now I have it all running again.
I have too much stuff to just have it all in one folder, that is the reason I use genre folders. It would make it hard for me to see what I have when viewing off the pc etc.
thanks
Thread marked solved.