Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to save files via SSH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 on which I have installed the latest version of LibreELEC and Leia. I can connect to the Pi using WinSCP over SSH, using root (whoami = root). I can open logs and xml files etc.

However, I am not able to either update files nor create new. All I get is an error code 4 (General failure).

Please advice or is there any more info I need to provide?

Thank you in advance!

/MGO-DK
Firstly, sshing as root is a bad idea in general.  Connect as a regular user then `su - root` to do what you need.  I do not believe "error code 4" is a linux error.  What specific command did you type and what specific error did you experience?  Post the output of your ssh session using code tags.
(2019-06-16, 11:37)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, sshing as root is a bad idea in general.  Connect as a regular user then `su - root` to do what you need. 

LibreELEC only has one user: root.
(2019-06-16, 11:37)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, sshing as root is a bad idea in general.  Connect as a regular user then `su - root` to do what you need.  I do not believe "error code 4" is a linux error.  What specific command did you type and what specific error did you experience?  Post the output of your ssh session using code tags.
I did not type any commands. I am using the GUI of WinSCP.
@Klojum - I did say in general... running a LE is a special use-case and I was unaware how it as structured.
@MGO-DK - It sounds like you're asking for support for winscp not Kodi or LE.  When you said you are unable to update files, I assume you mean via a text editor on LE?  Try putty rather than winscp.
Which files are you trying to edit/create, and where in the LibreElec filing system are you trying to do it?

Some parts of the LE set-up are read-only, which may be the problem if you're trying to do stuff in those areas.
@DarrenHill
I am trying to setup path substitution using HOW-TO:Reduce_disk_space_usage (wiki)

Which is creating/editing advancedsettings.xml in /usr/share/kodi/system/

@graysky 
Maybe Putty is an option. I have no experience with this. I upgrade my Pi from Krypton on which I believe that successfully both added files (new versions and addons) and altered files. All using WinSCP.
That's the wrong place (it's part of the read-only file system area, as I mentioned before).

In LE, the advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file should be in the userdata (wiki) folder ( /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml ).
(2019-06-16, 14:08)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]That's the wrong place (it's part of the read-only file system area, as I mentioned before).

In LE, the advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file should be in the userdata (wiki) folder ( /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml ).

Sigh... My bad, did not spot that in the how-to

Thank you!
No probs - you're welcome.

Thread marked solved.