Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspberry Pi Zero W and Kodi.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First of all, I hope this is the correct forum for this type of question. If not, I apologize, and will delete this question.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W, retrofitted into a SEGA VMU. I installed Kodi through the RetroPie setup screen, and it installed as it should. However, when I try to launch it from the "Ports" menu, it quickly exits.
I was thinking that it may have something to do with the "Memory Split" option in Raspi-Config. I currently have it set to nothing, as I am afraid that I will brick the unit by mistake. Anyone have any idea what I should set this option ("Memory Split") to? Thanks in advance. Your input is appreciated.
The default, which is 256MB.
(2019-06-16, 23:42)rascas Wrote: [ -> ]The default, which is 256MB.

Hmm. I tried that, now my RPi doesn't boot. It's stuck at the "KITERETRO" screen....
Don't now what "KITERETRO" screen, never saw anything like it on RetroPie. Are you sure you are running original RetroPie ? If not, you should ask for support where you downloaded that.
As rascas says, best ask where you got the image. It sounds like something outside of kodi needs more arm memory to actually run (but we don't know about that here).

gpu_mem=128 may be worth trying. That should be okay for simple kodi usage, but you may have issues with heavier kodi skins, or when playing videos while browsing gui.

You could also try something in between like gpu_mem=160 or 192.
(2019-06-17, 13:12)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]As rascas says, best ask where you got the image. It sounds like something outside of kodi needs more arm memory to actually run (but we don't know about that here).

gpu_mem=128 may be worth trying. That should be okay for simple kodi usage, but you may have issues with heavier kodi skins, or when playing videos while browsing gui.

You could also try something in between like gpu_mem=160 or 192.
Ok. And what exactly are those? Command line options or.. ?
It goes in config.txt.

On raspbian that is in /boot (but could be different on your distribution).
config.txt is also visible when sdcard viewed on windows/linux PC on FAT partition.

(raspi-config will be editing this file for you).
(2019-06-17, 19:21)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]It goes in config.txt.

On raspbian that is in /boot (but could be different on your distribution).
config.txt is also visible when sdcard viewed on windows/linux PC on FAT partition.

(raspi-config will be editing this file for you).

Hmm. I just noticed something strange, not sure if it is relevant or not, though. Apparently on my RPi, the /boot directory is on a seperate partition. The first partition, actually. Is this normal?
(2019-06-17, 19:48)ignatius333 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. I just noticed something strange, not sure if it is relevant or not, though. Apparently on my RPi, the /boot directory is on a seperate partition. The first partition, actually. Is this normal? 

Yes.
(2019-06-17, 19:56)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-17, 19:48)ignatius333 Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm. I just noticed something strange, not sure if it is relevant or not, though. Apparently on my RPi, the /boot directory is on a seperate partition. The first partition, actually. Is this normal? 

Yes.
Ok. I tried all of those gpu_mem settings in config.txt, and none of them appear to have any affect on the system's functionality.
(2019-06-18, 00:14)ignatius333 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-17, 19:56)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes.
Ok. I tried all of those gpu_mem settings in config.txt, and none of them appear to have any affect on the system's functionality.
And yes, I did comment out the other gpu_mem* settings.
Ok. Let's try this again. I did some research. And, apparently, RETROKITE is a project started by some guy named KITE, who builds these units, like I have. Its name is Circuit-Gem.
So, what is the issue? I believe it has something to do with the boot directory being on a seperate partition (/dev/mmcblk0p1), rather than being on the main partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2), so that is why my efforts in changing /boot/config.txt have failed. It's just not "seeing" the /boot directory.  And I have tried copying the files from the /boot directory on /dev/mmcblk0p1 to that directory on /dev/mmcblk0p2 (/boot), no luck. Something else that is strange, is that, I wrote a shell script to launch kodi-standalone, and when I execute it from the PORTS menu, it appears to try to execute, but ends up failing. Here is kodi.log: https://pastebin.com/PxpVc8kQ I'm really pulling my hair out over this. I've scoured google and have found nothing.

Thanks for your time. Any and all help is appreciated.
The boot directory is always on the first partition (/dev/mmcblk0p1), and is a FAT32 one. At system start it is mounted at /boot. So it is fine in your case.

In your Kodi log, I don't see any problem, only that it stops when the graphic interface is initializing. By the way, your Kodi log says that the gpu_mem is 256mb, so also fine in that part.
What I am not sure is if such a small (240x216) and unusual resolution is supported by Kodi.

Since you are running a custom OS, and it is not a very used one, you should ask in their project page/forum and ask for help there. Or use one that works like RetroPie.
That's the problem. No forum. Only techincal information is available on the web site/forum (https://sudomod.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=60).
Regarding the resolution, it seems to work for every emulator I have on my Pi, except for PPSSPP, which is another problem i'm having.
I'm wondering, just out of curiousity, what is the lowest resolution Kodi (and/or PPSSPP) will accept? And, also, one more thing, some emulators,
as in the configuration file /opt/retropie/configs/all/videomodes.cfg (https://pastebin.com/aiTVb32x) seem to accept numerical resolutions (320x224, for example), and others
will only accept settings, like DMT-87. What is the logic regarding this? Again, i'm very much a newbie to RetroPie and all of that, still. So, please forgive me.
I wouldn't buy or use something that has 0 support.
Check RetroPie documentation and/or ask in RetroPie forum. Although I doubt that they will give support to something else than stock RetroPie.
Pages: 1 2