Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B - which model best?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is new 
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 4 in 3 ram configurations models
-1 GB
-2 GB
-4 GB

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ras...4-model-b/

Now which model ram is best to get for kodi to work best?

Would more ram ie 4 GB give better video and general kodi performance

I don't want to spend more money than necessary..

Also I would like to know if it can play 
10bit HEVC/h265
-1080p
-720p
I don't think 4G will make any difference to kodi (unless you are running stuff other than kodi, like docker containers).

2G may be advisable if you are wanting to play 4K media on a 4K display with a heavy skin.
1G is fine for 1080p use.

The current kodi image is quite early. There are changes planned that will remove the ARM/GPU memory split which
should allow more efficient usage of RAM. That may make 4K on a 1G Pi4 more feasible but it's too early to be sure.

It can play 10it 4k hevc files. Other formats at 1080p.
CEC is supported now.

HDR video output is supported in hardware but needs more software work.
HBR audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD/Atmos) is supported in hardware but needs more software work.
(2019-06-24, 12:56)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think 4G will make any difference to kodi (unless you are running stuff other than kodi, like docker containers).

2G may be advisable if you are wanting to play 4K media on a 4K display with a heavy skin.
1G is fine for 1080p use.

The current kodi image is quite early. There are changes planned that will remove the ARM/GPU memory split which
should allow more efficient usage of RAM. That may make 4K on a 1G Pi4 more feasible but it's too early to be sure.

It can play 10it 4k hevc files. Other formats at 1080p.
CEC is supported now.

HDR video output is supported in hardware but needs more software work.
HBR audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD/Atmos) is supported in hardware but needs more software work.

So the 2GB or even 1GB would be good enough to play smoothly 10 bit 4k/1080p hevc and even HDR
once kodi gets more updates?

2GB is definitely the sweet spot for pricing out of the 3 models.

I am just using the default skin on kodi leia.

My main interest is getting smooth playback of 10 bit 4k/1080/720 hevc
since even the rpi3b cannot playback 720 10 bit h265 properly (has graphics distortion).

So according to you, 4GB is overkill and won't offer any more kodi performance improvements from 2GB?

What is docker container?

BTW does the openelec playback videos more smoothly and give better performance than osmc?
2G should be more than enough for 4K (with HDR when ready).
4G is not required for Kodi.

docker is a virtualisation technology. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_(software)

You can use that for running torrents, or web servers, or home automation on the same device but separated from kodi's file system.
It's pretty niche, but might be a use case where 4G becomes useful.
@popcornmix is there any hardware decode support for VP9 as from Youtube?
(2019-06-24, 16:01)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]@popcornmix is there any hardware decode support for VP9 as from Youtube?

No. We may be able to play 1080p VP9 in software, but based on a quick search I couldn't find a 1080p VP9 file to download.
Outside of youtube vp9 is barely used. (and youtube provides all its videos in H.264 format too).

Find me a sample I can download and I'll test it.
I really don't like those flimsy micro-HDMI ports. I'd rather have a single proper HDMI port.
Is it possible to start the Raspberry Pi 4 via HDMI-CEC looks like Odroid C2/N2
(2019-06-24, 19:09)Mister XY Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to start the Raspberry Pi 4 via HDMI-CEC looks like Odroid C2/N2
No. Like previous models the Pi4 is designed to be always on.
(2019-06-24, 19:26)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-24, 19:09)Mister XY Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to start the Raspberry Pi 4 via HDMI-CEC looks like Odroid C2/N2
No. Like previous models the Pi4 is designed to be always on.

Is it possible to play netflix 1080p with inputstream on the pi4?
(2019-06-24, 20:15)Pienoet Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to play netflix 1080p with inputstream on the pi4?
It depends on the bitrate of the stream (which may vary largely during a stream). Disenchantment played smooth but eg Black Mirror S01E02 has several scenes with high bitrate where playback stuttered a bit - other scenes were fine.

With a bit of overclocking it might work smooth, I only did a very limited amount of testing though. I'm pretty sure some folks will jump on the overclocking train soon and see what's possible with this nice little beast :-)

so long,

Hias
(2019-06-24, 21:23)HiassofT Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-06-24, 20:15)Pienoet Wrote: [ -> ]Is it possible to play netflix 1080p with inputstream on the pi4?
It depends on the bitrate of the stream (which may vary largely during a stream). Disenchantment played smooth but eg Black Mirror S01E02 has several scenes with high bitrate where playback stuttered a bit - other scenes were fine.

With a bit of overclocking it might work smooth, I only did a very limited amount of testing though. I'm pretty sure some folks will jump on the overclocking train soon and see what's possible with this nice little beast :-)

so long,

Hias 
Thank you
Is there a chance of hardware-decoding for Netflix and Amazon Video or are we stuck with software-decoding forever? Is the RPi 4B capable of 1080p software decoding?
I am considering buying a 2GB one for my Lounge and a 4GB one to replace my media server.  I will let all the hype die down first.
And yesterday I formulated the wrong question on the other thread Smile
What I meant was: i ordered the Pi 4 with 4G.
Can i use the sd card that i have today in the pi 3b? It has the latest milhouse build and my idea was to put the sd card in the new
Pi 4 and install the pi 4 build on it once available. The intention is not to loose any data and config that I have today
Thanks
Pages: 1 2