Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AC3 etc passthrough
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought a Sony (I know, I know. But as a TV it's great Smile) Af9 Android TV and audio passthrough isn't working properly with Kodi.

Setup:

AF9 connected to a Denon X2200 receiver via a fast HDMI cable between the ARC connections on both.

- TV sound comes out via the surround set up as expected
- YouTube, Google Play etc will output full surround sound
- Kodi, however, does not passthrough the surround stream and only plays on the front stereo channel

Kodi is set to passthrough all soundstream types (the receiver can handle them all).

I've read a few posts on here and elsewhere, old ones (18mths or so) that suggest Sony's implementation of Android is flawed. BUT...Google Play and YouTube work fine. And you'd think the former at least would be very tight on using standards.

Are there any other settings that can be tweaked?
(2019-07-04, 08:50)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]Just bought a Sony (I know, I know. But as a TV it's great Smile) Af9 Android TV and audio passthrough isn't working properly with Kodi.

Setup:

AF9 connected to a Denon X2200 receiver via a fast HDMI cable between the ARC connections on both.

- TV sound comes out via the surround set up as expected
- YouTube, Google Play etc will output full surround sound
- Kodi, however, does not passthrough the surround stream and only plays on the front stereo channel

Kodi is set to passthrough all soundstream types (the receiver can handle them all).

I've read a few posts on here and elsewhere, old ones (18mths or so) that suggest Sony's implementation of Android is flawed. BUT...Google Play and YouTube work fine. And you'd think the former at least would be very tight on using standards.

Are there any other settings that can be tweaked?
Definitely a Sony passthrough issue over ARC.

YouTube/Google Play weren't actually working.  They did in a different ARC "mode" but then non-multi-channel audio stopped working.

Binned the ARC connection, connected up with an optical digital cable and it's all working on the audio front (now have compromise on some messages popping up on startup and OSD volume info not showing.  Arrrgh Smile).
(2019-07-05, 02:27)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely a Sony passthrough issue over ARC.

YouTube/Google Play weren't actually working.  They did in a different ARC "mode" but then non-multi-channel audio stopped working.

Binned the ARC connection, connected up with an optical digital cable and it's all working on the audio front (now have compromise on some messages popping up on startup and OSD volume info not showing.  Arrrgh Smile).
Hello,

I have an AF9 and i use the ARC too. It works but the AF9 manages only Dolby Digital AC3 via ARC (no DTS or DTS-HD/Dolby-HD)

First, for ARC, use the HDMI 3 which manages the eARC.
Then, in KODI Audio Settings :
- Set Number of Channel : 2.0
- Audio Passthrough select only  Dolby Digital AC3 Audio + enable Dolby Digital transcoding

You wil receive Dobly Digital for all audio format.
(2019-07-05, 06:27)supertoto1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-05, 02:27)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely a Sony passthrough issue over ARC.

Hello,

I have an AF9 and i use the ARC too. It works but the AF9 manages only Dolby Digital AC3 via ARC (no DTS or DTS-HD/Dolby-HD)

- Audio Passthrough select only  Dolby Digital AC3 Audio + enable Dolby Digital transcoding

Hmmm, thought I'd tried that but will try again.

What eARC settings do you have? Are you using "Auto 1" or "Auto 2".

Also,what brand receiver do you have?
(2019-07-05, 09:53)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-05, 06:27)supertoto1977 Wrote: [ -> ]

Hello,

One more "also" Smile

Doesn't explain why Google Play Movies also wasn't working I think...
(2019-07-05, 10:36)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-05, 09:53)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-07-05, 06:27)supertoto1977 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

One more "also" Smile

Doesn't explain why Google Play Movies also wasn't working I think...  
I use a SONY MDR-HW700DS which is a headphone for home-cinema and not a true A/V receiver. The base shows that it receives multi-channel input (and i can hear the multi-channel).

I don't know where to find the settings "Auto1" or "Auto2" on the TV.
On my side, In the action menu for HDMI3 -> Sound -> Common -> Output Digital Plus, i have option dolby digital plus selected.
In the TV parameters:
the Bravia Sync is on.
The eARC mode is off.
Thanks.

Didn't get chance to change anything at all last night...and this morning it's all working as expected - volume OSD showing, surround working.

Dontcha just love modern tech Big Grin

Anyway, my job now is not to touch it!  Smile
(2019-07-06, 12:52)murph7355 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks.

Didn't get chance to change anything at all last night...and this morning it's all working as expected - volume OSD showing, surround working.

Dontcha just love modern tech Big Grin

Anyway, my job now is not to touch it!  Smile
Glad to read this.... You will see this TV is fantastic for movies.