Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi keeps sound alive - no sound in external retroarch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I hope, I'm in the correct forum :-)
I'm using Kodi v18.2 (MVC) on my Intel i3 NUC (with Windows 10), which almost works pretty good, but I've one little problem.
For retrogaming I'm starting RetroArch as an external program from AEL-plugin, but I'm not getting sound with retroarch.
I think Kodi keeps the device the whole time alive.

In Kodi I've configured the device as WASAPI for 1:1 passthrough (with DirectSound sometimes the movies are stuttering) -> works perfect.
If I start RetroArch directly from Kodi/AEL I got no sound, doesn't matter what drive is configured in retroarch.
But.. If I start RetroArch manually from my explorer, I got sound?!

Next step I tried - I'm starting retroarch from Kodi/AEL with a batch file, which puts a 10sec delay to start retroarch, but same behaviour.

Maybe someone has an idea, how to get a solution on this?! :-)

Thanks and best regards,
Shadow128
If you're keeping Kodi open while using Retroarch then the only solution is to use the Directsound option, as WASAPI requires exclusive use of the audio device. The only other option would be to create scripts to close and open Kodi while you use Retroarch.
By the way, why do you not use Retroplayer Games functionality within Kodi for retro gaming?
(2019-07-14, 14:33)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]If you're keeping Kodi open while using Retroarch then the only solution is to use the Directsound option, as WASAPI requires exclusive use of the audio device. The only other option would be to create scripts to close and open Kodi while you use Retroarch.

Hm.... OK, that explains it, if WASAPI use exclusive.
But I think there is no option/script to restore Kodi at the last state?

Regarding RetroPlayer.
Maybe this is at first an option, I'm using also for example PS2 Emulator, and I don't know if its supported via RetroPlayer.
And I like the shader option in RetroArch ;-)
I use the Big Box plugin which you can configure to automatically close Kodi upon launch. It will restart Kodi when closing.

Best gaming front end available imo. It scrapes all of your games (including modern AAA titles) and lets you play with the click of a button, be that Retroarch, PCSX2, Dolphin, Steam, Origin, etc. All integrated nicely into Kodi. When clicking on the Games tab it will automatically redirect to Big Box.