Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Show episode air date in guide details
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I recently switched from Media Portal TV service to NextPVR and with media portal I used to be able see the episode air date in the show details when it is selected in the Guide but I'm not seeing that with NextPVR. I like to use that to know if an episode is new or not. I am using Schedules Direct as the data provider in NextPVR. Is there a way to see the air date or to flag an episode as new in the EPG?
Can you give me a screen shot of what it looks like in MP? I believe the main issue is the DVB OTA and XMLTV guides aren't as rich as the SD data so some of these nice options aren't considered in the base.  There is a firstAired field but I am not sure if skins even use it

I did make a post requesting feedback and got no responses https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=342897 

Martin
(2019-08-01, 23:53)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]Can you give me a screen shot of what it looks like in MP? I believe the main issue is the DVB OTA and XMLTV guides aren't as rich as the SD data so some of these nice options aren't considered in the base.  There is a firstAired field but I am not sure if skins even use it

I did make a post requesting feedback and got no responses https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=342897 

Martin

Sorry Martin but no I can't. I uninstalled MP and switched to NextPVR because MP had stopped working for me. It simply showed a line in the show description details something like "Air Date: 08-01-2019".  I was using Schedules Direct for MP as well.
Appending things to fields is the kind of hack I want to get away from. firstAired is a field https://codedocs.xyz/xbmc/xbmc/struct_e_...2540fb0e7a and I'd like to see how it is used by the skin designers rather than forcing it into a design.  Showing the New, SP etc flags directly in the guide like Emby and NextPVR do makes even more sense for at a glance viewing.

Martin
(2019-08-02, 00:23)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]Appending things to fields is the kind of hack I want to get away from. firstAired is a field https://codedocs.xyz/xbmc/xbmc/struct_e_...2540fb0e7a and I'd like to see how it is used by the skin designers rather than forcing it into a design.  Showing the New, SP etc flags directly in the guide like Emby and NextPVR do makes even more sense for at a glance viewing.

Martin

If you could show a "new" indicator in the guide that would be awesome!
(2019-08-03, 13:58)gWatkins Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-08-02, 00:23)emveepee Wrote: [ -> ]Appending things to fields is the kind of hack I want to get away from. firstAired is a field https://codedocs.xyz/xbmc/xbmc/struct_e_...2540fb0e7a and I'd like to see how it is used by the skin designers rather than forcing it into a design.  Showing the New, SP etc flags directly in the guide like Emby and NextPVR do makes even more sense for at a glance viewing.

Martin

I dont understand how kodi skins dont show this stuff. Especially times like now when all the new shows start it's very conveniant to see a premier or a new series and or when it first aired. Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated to show this data so it would be nice if npvr appended even just the air date to the description so there was some way to tell if a show is new.
(2019-09-18, 16:33)nogoer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-08-03, 13:58)gWatkins Wrote: [ -> ]

Martin

I dont understand how kodi skins dont show this stuff. Especially times like now when all the new shows start it's very conveniant to see a premier or a new series and or when it first aired. Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated to show this data so it would be nice if npvr appended even just the air date to the description so there was some way to tell if a show is new. 
> I dont understand how kodi skins dont show this stuff.

Because nobody implemented it so far.

> Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated

Are you a fortune teller?

> would be nice if npvr appended even just the air date to the description so there was some way

Please, no. This is a bloody hack.

> to tell if a show is new

So, a show is "new" if first aired date is in the future, looking from 'now'? That's not correct, I'd say. This algorithm would make the "new" indicator disappear the moment the new show is aired. Is this what we want?
I guess a valid implementation for "new show" is: ispremiere = epgtag.firstAired == epgtag.startTime.
> Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated

The unbelievable just happened: I added support for "first aired" and "rating" to Estuary's PVR info dialog (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16640). This change will be available with next Matrix nightly build.
(2019-09-19, 10:38)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]> Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated

The unbelievable just happened: I added support for "first aired" and "rating" to Estuary's PVR info dialog (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/16640). This change will be available with next Matrix nightly build.
@ksooo
I may be wrong here, but are you sure 'First Aired' is what this user wanted to see? When I saw this thread yesterday, my take was the user wanted to know if a programme on their guide screen was actually a new episode, ie never been broadcast previously (Maybe the 1st episode of a new season for instance). First aired seems to show when a TV programme was first broadcast. I personally wouldn't find this info particularly useful, ie showing that a long running TV programme or repeats of it, first broadcast 10 years ago for instance. 

I presumed they wanted to see something like this:-

Looks like Netxpvr seems to pick this information up, but I'm guessing there is no associated DB field in Kodi to send it to (Or none that I've ever seen).
My own guide data actually picks up on 'New' episodes in text format and displays them as:- 'New: Title of Show', so quite easy for me to identify new episodes on both the guide screen entry and programme description.
This was my own interpretation of what the user was looking for, but as I said, perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking.....
(2019-09-19, 16:37)Dumyat Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-19, 10:38)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]> Unfortunately i dont think the default nodi skin will ever be updated

@ksooo
I may be wrong here, but are you sure 'First Aired' is what this user wanted to see? When I saw this thread yesterday, my take was the user wanted to know if a programme on their guide screen was actually a new episode, ie never been broadcast previously (Maybe the 1st episode of a new season for instance). First aired seems to show when a TV programme was first broadcast. I personally wouldn't find this info particularly useful, ie showing that a long running TV programme or repeats of it, first broadcast 10 years ago for instance. 

Looks like Netxpvr seems to pick this information up, but I'm guessing there is no associated DB field in Kodi to send it to (Or none that I've ever seen).
My own guide data actually picks up on 'New' episodes in text format and displays them as:- 'New: Title of Show', so quite easy for me to identify new episodes on both the guide screen entry and programme description.
This was my own interpretation of what the user was looking for, but as I said, perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking.....

I interpret it as the user wants both "first aired" and "new".

Thread subject indicates a request for the former. I implemented exactly this, because it was just a few lines of change.

The later (new flag) is more work and maybe I will implemented it later. Time will tell. [emoji6]
Well this wasnt my thread, but what i was ultimately looking for myself was the "new" banner just like you see in nextpvr in the screenshot. The firstaired date can be helpful in determining that by knowing the show is either airing "today" or is airing in the future as ksooo referenced.

I spent most of yesterday digging around between kodi forums and npvr forums and through code trying to figure out what the actual deal with this was. It appears at one time an npvr dev made an update to v3 to start passing the firstaired, episode, and series data into kodi via thier npvr plugin. Then at some point after the kodi devs realized the kodi epg db had the data now but the skin guimanager was not passing the data into the listitem and made a change somewhere around v17 to populate the listitem.Premiered value with the firstaired date. When i went to make use of it in my skin changes i ended up finding my epg db did not have a value for firstaired like i expected. So then i went down another rabbit hole trying to figure out why and eventually realized i think its npvr not passing that value in anymore.

So long story short it looks like this was fixed for kodi 17 and npvr v3 but then either npvr or kodi changed and blew it out when moving to the next version. I confirmed npvr has the data in its db and actually built an exe to copy the data from npvr to my kodi epg data and confirmed it will display if populated. Why the kodi epg data isnt getting the firstaired date from npvr is the big question right now.

I think having stuff like this in the EPG is a big deal these days with so many people cutting the cable cord. Schedules direct service is pretty cheap and has a large amount of reliable data that npvr pulls in but kodi in general doesnt really make use of it. NPvr while a wicked awsome program is not as gui freindly as kodi is and cant combine libraries like kodi does so the marriage of these two things is fantastic and ive found it to be extremely stable and reliable as a replacement to cable and as a dvr. The live tv stuff in kodi just needs a little tlc advice from npvr is all.
(2019-09-19, 16:37)Dumyat Wrote: [ -> ]

@ksooo

[removed for readability]

First aired is actually very useful and there is a field in the kodi db for it. Yes most of the time is irrelevant because the show is old or is a news type program where its always "today". However this date can tell you if an episode is new or not just off the fact of the date being >= todays date and can drive the new banner you see in npvr. In a way it could also drive the "premier" banner as long as theres episode data showing its the first episode of the first season and the air date is not a past date. Npvr data actually has a new flag, but kodi does not seem to have a field to populate for that and may not have it passed in.
First aired or premiere will be a good info but for local user Country will be better.
(2019-09-20, 16:19)tehax Wrote: [ -> ]First aired or premiere will be a good info but for local user Country will be better.
"Country"? Please stop mixing in completely unrelated stuff into this thread. This thread is not about a general wish list for Kodi EPG GUI.
Pages: 1 2