Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: "Scan for new Content" Crashing to desktop on Kodi v18.3 "Leia"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Every time I try to scan existing or new folders content Kodi will instantly crash to desktop, Has been reported by a bunch of people, with 0 solutions, anyone else have this issue? Any known fixes I may have missed?

Thanks all in advance Smile
If this is about TV episodes being scraped via TheTVDB scraper, then you are correct.
There is a new API implemented at TVDB, and our scraper is not (yet) compatible.

With all the recent hiccup and changes, changing to the now default TMDB scaper is recommended.
(2019-08-02, 15:48)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]If this is about TV episodes being scraped via TheTVDB scraper, then you are correct.
There is a new API implemented at TVDB, and our scraper is not (yet) compatible.

With all the recent hiccup and changes, changing to the now default TMDB scaper is recommended.

Thanks for this. I was practically tearing my hair out due to this!
(2019-08-02, 15:48)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]If this is about TV episodes being scraped via TheTVDB scraper, then you are correct.

You are a absolute champion Exactly the problem...Is TMDB scraper still ok for TV Shows? I'll make the change Smile
(2019-08-03, 07:45)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]Is TMDB scraper still ok for TV Shows? I'll make the change

Yes, the TMDB is unaffected. TMDB is default as per Kodi Leia, but TMDB does not hold all TV shows so you may miss out on some of them.
Be aware of your watched statuses / resume points when fully changing scrapers.
(2019-08-03, 09:09)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-08-03, 07:45)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]Is TMDB scraper still ok for TV Shows? I'll make the change

Yes, the TMDB is unaffected. TMDB is default as per Kodi Leia, but TMDB does not hold all TV shows so you may miss out on some of them.
Be aware of your watched statuses / resume points when fully changing scrapers. 
Awesome, again thanks for the reply....Is the TVDB scraper going to be fixed in the future? Or is this the end of it? I literally have over 800 TV shows with like 26,000 episodes in total, Is there a known work around or anything that can help in re-scraping my data base as I'm starting fresh with some new 10TB nas drives and really don't want to loose anything.
They have rolled back the API changes they made (which is what broke things). So once that filters through all the caches and mirrors and what not things should work again.

There is also a tweak you can make in the scraper file itself which will fix the crashing, although there is still some issue with artwork that the API rollback is needed for.

See the first post in the thread below for details. Option 3 is the tweak mentioned above.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345935
(2019-08-03, 13:32)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]and really don't want to lose anything.
Doing the occasional full Video Library Export would be one thing, as a metadata backup. That may take some time, considering your media collection.
Otherwise a direct backup of your database (assuming you use MySQL) is a must.
(2019-08-03, 13:36)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]They have rolled back the API changes they made (which is what broke things). So once that filters through all the caches and mirrors and what not things should work again.

There is also a tweak you can make in the scraper file itself which will fix the crashing, although there is still some issue with artwork that the API rollback is needed for.

See the first post in the thread below for details. Option 3 is the tweak mentioned above.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345935
Awesome news, indeed....I'll be patient and wait for the rollback as I really need to start from scratch, Is location data also stored in the textures.db or does it cache it differently? My database is so large there are 10 separate myvideos(*).db files, As long as it's working "tvdb" scraper I'm fine with restarting scraping for every, Movie, TV Show and Music file, may take some time, but there is no True Competitor to Kodi, IMO!  Thanks a bunch for the ultra fast replies Smile
(2019-08-03, 13:52)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-08-03, 13:32)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]and really don't want to lose anything.
Doing the occasional full Video Library Export would be one thing, as a metadata backup. That may take some time, considering your media collection.
Otherwise a direct backup of your database (assuming you use MySQL) is a must. 
Also replied to D.H

Awesome news, indeed....I'll be patient and wait for the rollback as I really need to start from scratch, Is location data also stored in the textures.db or does it cache it differently? My database is so large there are 10 separate myvideos(*).db files, As long as it's working "tvdb" scraper I'm fine with restarting scraping for every, Movie, TV Show and Music file, may take some time, but there is no True Competitor to Kodi, IMO!  Thanks a bunch for the ultra fast replies Smile
@Buzniak the different numbered myvideos(*).db aren't size, it's age. Every time Kodi is versioned up, the database gets a bump as well.

See database (wiki) for more details and which number corresponds to which Kodi version. If you wish you can remove the older ones, they're only kept for backward compatibility in case you still have an older version of Kodi also using them (for instances of shared databases like using MySQL (wiki)), or in case you need to roll back.
(2019-08-03, 15:18)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]My database is so large there are 10 separate myvideos(*).db files,

Having 10 separate databases is not an indication of your database size, but merely the number of times you have upgraded to a newer Kodi version.

MyVideos116 is the current version, any lower numbered files are previous versions, and basically deprecated.
If you are not using MySQL, then at least make a copy of that video database file for safekeeping.

(2019-08-03, 15:18)Buzniak Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks a bunch for the ultra fast replies
We're on a slightly higher alert perhaps because of the TVDB issues, or my timing is simply awesome.
(2019-08-03, 15:31)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]We're on a slightly higher alert perhaps because of the TVDB issues, or my timing is simply awesome.

But still not as fast as mine Wink
Tongue
Thanks guy's, haha, yeah the database number makes more sense now, again i can't thank you guys enough, it's bought a huge relief to my noggin Smile