Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia shield + amp + arc + tv often silence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all. 

I'm hoping someone might be able to help here, I've contacted Nvidia but they either don't reply, or send me to generic help/FAQs or most recently they blame my amplifier. 
I have a Pioneer VSX-1131 amplifier with the latest firmware and an Nvidia Shield 2017 again up to date. I have the shield hooked up like this 

Shield -> amp -> TV (ARC port) 

Very often now (it didn't used to happen AS much) I'll start watching something in kodi but there's no sound at all. 
Changing inputs does nothing. Changing the sound output mode does nothing. The only thing that makes it work is to reboot the shield. 

I tried wiring it like this 

Shield -> TV -> Amplifier (TV ARC port connected to HDMI one port on amp) but it makes no difference, still no sound. 

I have told Kodi that my amp is dolby / DTS etc capable. 

It does work, sometimes, but very often now there's no sound at all. 
It *sometimes* does this in youtube as well so I think maybe it's not a kodi problem but I'm hoping someone on these forums knows the answer, I certainly can't be the only one experiencing this issue. Yes I know ARC sucks, but for me it used to work ok but has the frequency of times this problem occurs is increasing to the point where i'm restarting the shield more than twice a day, when before I might have to restart it maybe once a week. 

I'm at my wits end here and ready to throw the shield in the bin if this continues, please anyone ? can you help ?
Just wanted to add that i've tried it not in the TV ARC port too, and i'm also using HDMI 2.0 HDCP2.2 cables that are brand new bought them to rule out the problem after I found a similar post on reddit.