Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: MySQL database create error caching sha2 password could not be loaded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I built a new Kodi setup and installed MySQl 8.0.  I set the authentication mode to Legacy when configuring MySQL.   I get the following error in the kodi.log file using Leia 18.3.

2019-08-16 01:16:06.036 T:9888   ERROR: Unable to open database: MusicLeia72 [2059](Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found. Library path is 'lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.dll')

My old Kodi setup which i upgraded to Leia 18.3 is working fine with MySQL 5.7.

What am I missing?  Does Kodi support MySQL 8.0 ?
(2019-08-16, 08:39)dougski Wrote: [ -> ]I built a new Kodi setup and installed MySQl 8.0.  I set the authentication mode to Legacy when configuring MySQL.   I get the following error in the kodi.log file using Leia 18.3.

2019-08-16 01:16:06.036 T:9888   ERROR: Unable to open database: MusicLeia72 [2059](Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found. Library path is 'lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.dll')

I had the same error message. Could solve it by changing the identification method to "mysql_native_password" like below:

CREATE USER 'nativeuser'@localhost IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'password';
(2019-08-16, 08:39)dougski Wrote: [ -> ]I built a new Kodi setup and installed MySQl 8.0.  I set the authentication mode to Legacy when configuring MySQL.   I get the following error in the kodi.log file using Leia 18.3.

I went through the configuration for MySQL 8.0 a few times and rebooted the machine and it fixed the problem.  I think somehow the configuration option to use the legacy password option in My SQL 8.0 was not taking effect before which caused the error.
i was able to fix it by dropping the user i used for kodi and remade it with the following:

CREATE USER 'username'@'localhost'IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'userpassword';