Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Do not translate manually entered genre
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, i've got a big problem with genre: instead of translating only the genre right at scraping from the providers, it's also translated when manually entered. In my case it's all about the english genre "Animation". In german i'd like to differentiate between computer animated "Animation" and hand made drawings "Zeichentrick", but Animation is always translated to Zeichentrick.
inside tmm we have a bunch of pre-set genres (along with their german translations) and you have the ability to add custom ones..

to make this work, we need to "find" the right genre (enum) for every entered string - and because there is already an animated genre (which contains per definition whole animated space: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation) our internal lookup will find that first before it creates new ones. There is no way around except to destroy this feature...

my suggestion would be to use another string (Computeranimiert z.B.)
(2019-08-20, 07:21)mlaggner Wrote: [ -> ]inside tmm we have a bunch of pre-set genres (along with their german translations) and you have the ability to add custom ones..

to make this work, we need to "find" the right genre (enum) for every entered string - and because there is already an animated genre (which contains per definition whole animated space: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation) our internal lookup will find that first before it creates new ones. There is no way around except to destroy this feature...

my suggestion would be to use another string (Computeranimiert z.B.)
Okay, if you don't want to change the concept of when something is translated, then you should kick "Zeichentrick". Because the german translation of the english word "animation" is just "Animation".
"Zeichentrick" is a special form of animation: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeichentrickfilm
The same goes for "Comedy". While for movies in nearly all cases it's okay to translate comedy to "Komödie", it's wrong for tv shows! Although comedy is the english word for "Komödie", the two words are used independently for different kind of stuff here in Germany.
For example the tv show "Seinfeld", nobody here in germany would say it's a "Komödie". It's either also "Comedy" or better "Sitcom".
So if it's not clear, it's better to not translate something then to translate it wrong.
a) It's a pity, that there are some subgenres combined in the English name whereas it is something different in German; but since almost all meta data provider are set up in English we have to live with that
b) We do not do any translations (because we cannot speak all languages) - this is up to the community. Feel free to change anything you want in the German translation, but be aware to do not break something else!
c) If you are not satisfied with the results from tmm, fee free to change everything you want! Because we support custom genres, you can simply add something like "Sitcom" or "Computeranimation".. I do not think it is the right way to change the translations