Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Show shelf - next episode auto play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

I've had the Amber skin installed now for a few weeks and have been customizing away.  So far feeling very slick and almost have everything setup the way I want it.  One thing I can't figure out how to do is to have a Shelf under TV Shows that will list all the shows I have been watching recently and by clicking on one - plays the next episode.   

Things I have tried
  • I have tried using "Next Episode" (from Skin Helper Service Widgets) - sorted by "lastplayed - decending" but after watching an episode (say episode 1 of 10 in that season) that show disappears from the shelf (when I would expect it to now be first on that shelf).
  • The other thing I have tried is using "In Progress TV Shows" (from Skin Helper Service Widgets) - sorted by "lastplayed - decending".  This seems to display the shows exactly as I want them - i.e. after watching episode 1 of 10, that show appears at the front of the list on that shelf.  However clicking on this takes me to the list of seasons and episodes - I want it to automatically play the next episode.

This is my final hurdle..... any help would be much appreciated.

thankyou
(2019-08-29, 15:55)kevine123 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

I've had the Amber skin installed now for a few weeks and have been customizing away.  So far feeling very slick and almost have everything setup the way I want it.  One thing I can't figure out how to do is to have a Shelf under TV Shows that will list all the shows I have been watching recently and by clicking on one - plays the next episode.   

Things I have tried
  • I have tried using "Next Episode" (from Skin Helper Service Widgets) - sorted by "lastplayed - decending" but after watching an episode (say episode 1 of 10 in that season) that show disappears from the shelf (when I would expect it to now be first on that shelf).
  • The other thing I have tried is using "In Progress TV Shows" (from Skin Helper Service Widgets) - sorted by "lastplayed - decending".  This seems to display the shows exactly as I want them - i.e. after watching episode 1 of 10, that show appears at the front of the list on that shelf.  However clicking on this takes me to the list of seasons and episodes - I want it to automatically play the next episode.

thankyou  
@kevine123, the skin does not offer exactly what you are looking for (in fact, have you tried any skin that does? I would love to have that as a reference). I think that can only be achieved with an addon, that someone would have to write.

However, I think you can use the "Recommended Episodes" shelf from the Default Shelves, or the "Next Up Episodes" from the Embuary Helper Shelves.  Both of these show the next unwatched episode for all your in-progress tv shows.  Please try and let me know if this comes close to what you want.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-08-29, 18:29)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]

Things I have tried

thankyou   
@kevine123, the skin does not offer exactly what you are looking for (in fact, have you tried any skin that does? I would love to have that as a reference). I think that can only be achieved with an addon, that someone would have to write.

However, I think you can use the "Recommended Episodes" shelf from the Default Shelves, or the "Next Up Episodes" from the Embuary Helper Shelves.  Both of these show the next unwatched episode for all your in-progress tv shows.  Please try and let me know if this comes close to what you want.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart 

thanks Bart.   I will give that a try tonight.   I was previously using the Ace skin on an old version of KODI (can't remember which version) but I don't think Ace works with the later versions of KODI?  Ace did have this functionality which I had gotten used to so was trying to reproduce it in Amber.

I really thought sorting by "lastplayed" in "next episode" would have achieved this but I can't figure out what this sort option does??
(2019-08-30, 01:20)kevine123 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-08-29, 18:29)bsoriano Wrote: [ -> ]

Things I have tried

thankyou    

Regards,

Bart  

thanks Bart.   I will give that a try tonight.   I was previously using the Ace skin on an old version of KODI (can't remember which version) but I don't think Ace works with the later versions of KODI?  Ace did have this functionality which I had gotten used to so was trying to reproduce it in Amber.

I really thought sorting by "lastplayed" in "next episode" would have achieved this but I can't figure out what this sort option does?? 
@kevine123, lastplayed sorts on the date a channel or a tv show or movie or musicvideo or episode was played the last time (or only time if it has only been played once).  Next Episodes shows you the next unplayed episode of your in-progress tv shows, so sorting by lastplayed descending would show you first the next episode of the in-progress tv show you were watching most recently.

Regards,

Bart