Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Windows to Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for some advice, I have 2 PC's that I use to run Kodi, both are based on windows 10.
Both systems are -> LG 4K TV, AMD 7860K, 8GB RAM, 240GB SSD, GT1030.

The win 10 was a must when I was ripping all my music and dvd's/bluray's as I used MyMovies back end but this is very rare now and I would like to move one system over to Linux.

I am hoping to get a quicker boot up time from cold and to tell the truth less waiting on windows updates, I also believe that update system in Linux will update Kodi as they are released, what is currently a manual process on windows 10, this also go's for drivers too.

I use TV Headend on a Synology for live TV, with a HDHomeRun. As for add-on's I use YouTube and BBC iPlayer. I would like ITV Player and All4 but I've not be able to find them.

Anyone opinion on this would be great as I'm not sure if I should go for LibreELEC , OpenELEC, Debian or something else.
Thanks
OpenELEC has been dead for over 2.5 years, and LibreELEC may soon ditch Nvidia driver support. So as far as Linux goes, Nvidia is not your best partner for the near future.

Up to now with using vdpau, Nvidia wasn't even bothered to support 10-bit video in Linux. They now have a new driver system, but Kodi is not (officially) supporting it. The community is working on some generic solution: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566

Debian builds its own packages and usually is behind a version or two.
Should I use the onboard AMD graphics, its a R7, it dose not support h.265 decoding so this will be pushed to the processor, but Kodi can do that right? 

Or is the best option to hold off the switch over ? If not what Linux flavour would you recommend ?

Thanks
(2019-09-01, 19:11)richyboypalm Wrote: [ -> ]The win 10 was a must when I was ripping all my music and dvd's/bluray's

Years ago, where I started to move from Windows to Linux in general (not only for Kodi) I spend a lot of time to find Linux-alternatives for what I was used to do on Windows. And I found a replacement for everything. I found that ripping AudioCDs with Kodi itself isn't as bad as I first thought (there are better alternatives, tbh...but one can work with that). I also found that ripping DVDs and BRs also can easily be done with MakeMKV (it's free while you are using the Beta version). So Win10 is not a must. You just have to put a little more effort in searching for replacements and if you found them and getting used to other software, you will see that Linux isn't that complicated at all. But it takes some time Wink

As a recommendation for Kodi on Linux, I would always recommend to use Ubuntu (in case you need a full blown OS). Reasons for that is simply that Kodi has it's own PPA (personal package archive) providing different versions of kodi (depending on which ppa you installed). For further information read this, please:

https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Ko...tributions

If you need to decide for the Ubuntu version, I would rtecommend to stick to LTS versions which currently is 18.04. There are also different Ubuntu flavours (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, XUbuntu and such). In general it's all the same. The normal "Ubuntu" provides GNome as its dekstop environment, Kubuntu provides KDE and XUbuntu provides XFCE. I'm using XUbuntu, but you can use any of them. Take a look at YouTube and see which desktop environment you will like best

If you don't need a full blown OS and only want to use Kodi on that machine, then I would recommend to use LibreELEC in its current stable version 9.0.2. LibreELEC is a read-only OS which doesn't provide anything else than Kodi. Means, you can't install any kind of additional software beside Kodi add-ons. One has to mention that LibreELEC is able to use "Docker" but that would be a different story which requires some learning process. But if Kodi is the only use for that machine and you don't need any other software beside Kodi on it, then LibreELEC would be the way to go.

The Update process:

Full blown Ubuntu OSs are upgrading every package you have installed via some PPA or from the Ubuntu repositories by using sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y (the first command updates the PPAs and repositories and checks for new versions, the 2nd command does the update, the "-y" will answer an upcoming question with "yes" the "&&" means that the first command has to be finished without errors and if that is done, run the other command). So it's a single line and then you have to wait until everything is done.

That's different for LibreELEC. Please read that how to update your LibreELEC machine:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how_to/update_libreelec

In general you always have to wait for a new LibreELEC version if you want to use an actual Kodi version. LibreELEC has some delay to test stuff before releasing. That means, if Kodi is released in a newer version (let's say 18.4) and as LibreELEC 9.0.2 currently provides Kodi 18.3, you can't update Kodi without updating the complete OS. So you have to wait for LibreELEC until they release a version where Kodi 18.4 is included (which will be LibreELEC 9.0.3). That sounds more complicated as it is Wink. It's just for mentioning that you can't update the Kodi package which is pre-installed solely.

(2019-09-01, 20:08)richyboypalm Wrote: [ -> ]Should I use the onboard AMD graphics, its a R7, it dose not support h.265 decoding so this will be pushed to the processor, but Kodi can do that right? 

I had an Intel Haswell machine over some years which couldn't hardware-decode h.265 as well. So it was done via CPU. Never got any issues with it. But I don't have any experience with AMD GPUs, tbh.
If you are already running a NAS it might be worth considering ditching the PC entirely. You could pick up a raspberry pi, vero, or some other SBC and just leave it on all the time.
(2019-09-03, 02:20)darwindesign Wrote: [ -> ]If you are already running a NAS it might be worth considering ditching the PC entirely. You could pick up a raspberry pi, vero, or some other SBC and just leave it on all the time.

Now that is what I would love to do, with the NAS holding the database so all 3 Kodi systems I have marry up with the watched list and with the NAS updating the database, Only way I can see of doing this is to run a VM on the NAS with Kodi. Then replacing the PC's with a low powered SBC like I have in another room. I find the playback smoother on the SBC but updating the library is painful, so moving this to the NAS would be great!
What do you think ?
Why would you need a VM on the NAS? Your Synology should be able to run MySQL and you can run a shared database that is updated by any of the clients. Your Library update speed is probably going to be slower (depending on your NAS) but what difference does that really make (you can hide the display)? I'm running my shares and MySQL off an old Win10 PC with four different Raspberry Pi's running OSMC as the players. My library scans are actually faster run on the Pi's than when I run them in Windows. You can install a plugin to update the library on a schedule but my own preference is when i'm on a computer dumping new content I just open the web interface for one of the Pi's and hit the button to update the library (no need to turn on a TV or touch a remote control).