Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why doesn't my Onkyo TX-NR696 always display the audio type on the front panel?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.

I'm not experiencing any issues. It's just more of a question.

When I rip my blu-rays I usually go for the highest audio quality. Even though I have a 5.1 surround system, I'll still only rip my movies with 7.1 audio track (ignoring the other audio channels) and let my system downmix it for me. That way I'm future proofing my rips for when I get a 7.1 system.

My Onkyo TX-NR696 usually displays the type of audio on the front panel. Dolby Surround, DTS X Neutral, Etc, when I play a 5.1 movie. 

But with TrueHD 7.1 titles, like Blade Runner 2049 and John Wick, absolutely nothing is displayed in the front panel. Just a red X. Now, the movie still plays fine, and the surround sound works the way it should. I'm just curious as to why my receiver isn't displaying anything and if Kodi is somehow confusing the AVR.

I checked in the windows audio properties, and the AV receiver can support up to 8 channels, and TrueHD is listed as a supported format. So Windows itself should be able to properly see it.

Side note, when I play John Wick in VLC it displays as PCM Dolby Surround on the front the AVR. 

I'm running Kodi 17.6 on my Surface Pro 2, running Windows 8.1, attached to an Onkyo TX-NR696.

Again, everything seems to be working the way it should. I just want to better understand how this works.

Thank you for any insight into this.
I am not familiar with your AVR, but first place to check is your Windows audio settings to see if that audio format is listed in the properties window...

Hello.

I took a look at the supported formats and Dolby TrueHD is supported. Among with DTS, Dolby Digital Plu, DTS-HD, and Dolby Digital.

I went into the advanced tab and upped the default format from DVD to 24 bit 48000 Hz. I also went into the speaker configuration and changed my 5.1 to 7.1, just to see if maybe that would make a difference. But it all cases the audio receiver isn't displaying the audio format.

When I click O and look at the data while it's playing Kodi recognizes it as TrueHD.
(2019-09-14, 18:04)Doctor Buddy Pants Wrote: [ -> ]When I click O and look at the data while it's playing Kodi recognizes it as TrueHD.
Do you have Audio Passthrough enabled for that format... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio#GUI_Sounds
(2019-09-14, 21:15)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-14, 18:04)Doctor Buddy Pants Wrote: [ -> ]When I click O and look at the data while it's playing Kodi recognizes it as TrueHD.
Do you have Audio Passthrough enabled for that format... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio#GUI_Sounds 
Yes I do. I discovered last night that the audio was very low until I enabled Passthrough, which helped bring the volume up to what I was expecting.

I also set my output device to WASAPI, and checked all possible audio receivers as well.