Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: back screen on avi videos
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello there long time xbmc member 7 years...ive been come upon this problem twice on version 18..the first time i went back to v17 and fixed my problem but now i really want to go at the bottom of this and learn why!

my setup is amd ryzen 5 with win 10 and kodi leia..suddenly all videos that are .avi are playing audio but not video (black screen) these videos require ff-mpeg-SW as kodi saying on the info...other videos that require HW (mkv) are playing good!!

i upgraded to leia 18.4 but it didnt solve my problem...im thinking it has to do something with ff-mpeg codecs?

im posting the debug log...can you please help me with this??

https://paste.kodi.tv/ihoyeriwon.kodi
(2019-09-14, 14:03)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]member 7 years...
First post, very stealthy. It's called Kodi now.
(2019-09-14, 14:03)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]something with ff-mpeg codecs?
Not too many users are reporting this issue. The encodes are quite old, usually black screen indicates gfx driver issues. "render method 1: Pixel Shaders" change the rendering method. I note "CreateRenderBuffer: unable to create video buffer" Points at some issue with the driver.
thank you for you response and help.. i think its the ryzen apu and lately made a driver update :-( AMD all the time problems...
(2019-09-14, 17:06)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]First post, very stealthy. It's called Kodi now.

along with my first post you forgot to mention my donation.

thanks again
Maybe if they're really old formats/codecs, you may be easier to transcode to x264 or something more modern?
(2019-09-14, 19:20)jools5000 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if they're really old formats/codecs, you may be easier to transcode to x264 or something more modern?

yes but its a ton of movies! and old series with a lot of episodes!

1. i have an update on the issue...i tried to roll back to my previous vga driver and its the same...

2. i have installed kodi leia in portable mode and the same...

3. i have installed kodi krypton in portable and avi files are playing excellent!!! can someone explain this to me why is this happening?? whats my solution? to go back to intel cpus or go back to krypton? :-(
(2019-09-15, 14:30)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]2. i have installed kodi leia in portable mode and the same...
This one got my attention. As a side note: I have an old collection of .avi cartoons that play out well to-day.

Give software rendering a shot (expert mode) settings>player>video>software failing that disable the Hardware Acceleration - DXVA2  and lastly - DXVA and see if there's any joy. You can go the converter route depending on how many .avi containers. Work-round is to see if any of the .avi play with an external player, then set-up a playcorefactory.xml with an exclusive rule for .avi files.
(2019-09-15, 17:07)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-15, 14:30)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]2. i have installed kodi leia in portable mode and the same...
This one got my attention. As a side note: I have an old collection of .avi cartoons that play out well to-day.

Give software rendering a shot (expert mode) settings>player>video>software failing that disable the Hardware Acceleration - DXVA2  and lastly - DXVA and see if there's any joy. You can go the converter route depending on how many .avi containers. Work-round is to see if any of the .avi play with an external player, then set-up a playcorefactory.xml with an exclusive rule for .avi files. 

thanks for your help, ive already tried software, dxva, pixel shaders, no acceleration! every combination, but no light! i have a lot of avi containers unfortunately...when i try win10 media player they play well no problem! can you please tell me why this is problem only on leia and not krypton? my portable krypton on the same pc plays excellent! also give me a hint on how to set up playcorefactory.xml i havent heard it before...
This is the External players (wiki) wiki that should give you an overview to easily change to rules to reflect .avi containers. This issue may be fixed in coming iterations of your driver or Kodi.  This is a link to my script, modify the players and path to your set-up, it's offers four players in the context menu, changing one of the rules for a specific filetype should have that player launched.
(2019-09-15, 21:10)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]why this is problem only on leia and not krypton?
I don't have your equipment, It's not clear atm to me what and where the software is letting you down. it's likely an oversight that might have a fix, patience. Putting something in the bug-tracker might facilitate notice.
(2019-09-15, 22:04)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]This is the External players (wiki) wiki that should give you an overview to easily change to rules to reflect .avi containers. This issue may be fixed in coming iterations of your driver or Kodi.  This is a link to my script, modify the players and path to your set-up, it's offers four players in the context menu, changing one of the rules for a specific filetype should have that player launched.
(2019-09-15, 21:10)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]why this is problem only on leia and not krypton?
I don't have your equipment, It's not clear atm to me what and where the software is letting you down. it's likely an oversight that might have a fix, patience. Putting something in the bug-tracker might facilitate notice.

thanks for your help! i will modify the players and hopefully i will fix this! also i will mess around with radeon settings because they have a profile for kodi....and if i find something i will post it for future members with ryzen problems!
(2019-09-15, 14:30)tgiannak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-14, 19:20)jools5000 Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe if they're really old formats/codecs, you may be easier to transcode to x264 or something more modern?

yes but its a ton of movies! and old series with a lot of episodes!

1. i have an update on the issue...i tried to roll back to my previous vga driver and its the same...

2. i have installed kodi leia in portable mode and the same...

3. i have installed kodi krypton in portable and avi files are playing excellent!!! can someone explain this to me why is this happening?? whats my solution? to go back to intel cpus or go back to krypton? :-( 

Try https://handbrake.fr/
update on the problem... i tried latest kodi nightly on my system and all avi containers are working perfectly im posting debug log

https://paste.kodi.tv/pixixegeju.kodi

any insight on this?
(2019-09-15, 22:04)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]it's likely an oversight that might have a fix, patience.
I guess that update had the fix for you, great to hear.

I'll mark this thread solved.
Thread marked solved.