Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HDMI Audio issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having a very strange issue with my media pc at the moment. A while back, I noticed the receiver (Pioneer VSX-324) was no longer showing any formats whenever anything was played in Kodi (17.6). Everything was setup as it always was, no changes at all. Today I finally got a chance to really look at it and I decided to uninstall the AMD drivers (for the Radeon HD 7850) and install the latest 19.2.2 driver. I booted into safe mode and used Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure everything was correctly uninstalled. Upon installing the new driver and running Kodi, no sound at all played if I selected WASAPI and HDMI Passthrough. If I disabled passthrough, I got sound, recognised as PCM by the receiver. If I enabled passthrough, no sound at all.

Really not sure what's going on here. I think I did have this "only showing as PCM" issue before but it was years ago and I can't for the life of me remember what fixed it. The pc is a Windows 10 install about two years old with the barest of anything extra installed with it - Kodi, Firefox, VLC, MP-HC and not much else. The correct audio formats show up in the Sound settings in the Control Panel. It's a very annoying problem with no obvious way of fixing it, so any advice would be great.
Interesting, playing around with the receiver and going from HDMI passthrough to HDMI AMP, it did show one video as playing Dolby Digital+, but trying a TrueHD source got me nothing again, no sound and nothing but PCM/Stereo options on the receiver through the "Standard" button on the remote (as opposed to Auto/Direct, Stereo/A.L.C. and ADV Surround).

Really not sure what that means.
As you installed new drivers, you may not have correctly set them up in Windows again. Check the following on your system...

(2019-09-15, 13:15)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]As you installed new drivers, you may not have correctly set them up in Windows again. Check the following on your system...

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said, "The correct audio formats show up in the Sound settings in the Control Panel". I went into it to set it up after installing the drivers and it was all set up exactly as I previously had it anyway.
Waspi passthrough mode selected, Kodi just pushes the audio signal untouched across to the AVR/reciever.  In the audio section of Kodi ensure you have 2.0 channels selected, two choices for waspi, default and your device; try them both, enable all the audio capability in passthrough  (your AVR/reciever should be operational for the handshake to work, otherwise the sig will default to directsound).

And then there is this: The September KB4515384 update is already a menace. Introduced to fix CPU spiking, reports state it has broken Windows 10 search, the Start Menu, Action Centre, USB connections and caused audio problems.