Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fanart images with wildcards?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone.
I am relatively new Kodi user, I've installed Kodi 18.4 x64, trying to customize it according to my needs. Smile
I've already searched for options for fanart for music files as I have a lot of flac/ape/vw files (some of them single files with cue) with front cover images.
First, I've noticed that Kodi doesn't use folder.jpg for ape and wv but that works for flac files. Huh

So my question is if it is possible to configure Kodi to use any jpg file as fanart that is in same folder as music?
I found that this can be customized in advancedsettings.xml, for example:
<fanart>
   <remove>fanart.jpg</remove>
   <add>backdrop.jpg</add>
</fanart>

But, can we set something like *.jpg , if there's just one jpg file in folder?
In a word, no.
However as you have seen to can configue it to pick up whatever names you choose as fanart, but you do have to specify.

Most user have album cover art (usually in folder.jpg but again configureable) in with the music files, or a choice of art for differnt puprses e.g discart (round CD image) backcover, spine etc. so having all art taken as any one type would be limiting
Thanks for explanation.
I just figured out that cover.jpg works for all music file types (ape,vw etc.), without adding it in advancedsettings.xml .
folder.jpg worked but not for everything.
By default Kodi music thumbs can be called any one of these
php:
"folder.jpg|Folder.jpg|folder.JPG|Folder.JPG|cover.jpg|Cover.jpg|cover.jpeg|thumb.jpg|Thumb.jpg|thumb.JPG|Thumb.JPG"
That list can be adjusted via settings in advancedsettings.xml see https://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml#musicthumbs

But the music file type does not make any difference to the way local image files are pcked up, so I don't understand your comment that "folder.jpg did not work for everything".

As a new user I must emphasize that the music library depends on you music files being fully (and consistently) tagged, and I anticipate that any odd experiences you may have will come down to tagging because they so often do. Hope that you enjoy the music library.
Thanks again for these details.
As for music file types, I am confused as well. For example, I have .ape album (single file), correctly tagged, and I can see that in Kodi (Artist, Album etc.) but folder.jpg is not picked up by Kodi for some reason. When I rename it to cover.jpg it is picked up correctly. Huh
Not a big deal, is it folder.jpg or cover.jpg. Smile
That is a topic I also had in my backlog of mild annoyances... cover.* takes precedence over folder.*... could this be made to work the other way round? I assume this is purely for alphabetical reasons.