Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which Kodi should I be using ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just picked up a Mi Box S, my first Android unit. Still in the box as I write. I see there are at least two Kodis, one on Google Play and one on Kodi.tv. Which is best suited for the Mi Box, or are they both basically the same ?

Also will I be able to watch .iso files from a usb connect hd ?  I prefer iso as I'd like to retain the menus. I'm not clear on whether it is the software or the hardware that makes this happen. Though in any event will this work with Mi Box/Kodi ?

Lastly is there a list/web site where I can obtain legal streaming sites (News/Movies/TV Series) for use with my Mi Box. I see quite a few youtube videos on this, however most seem sketchy at best. I understand there are 'apps' that work within Kodi, and apps that work independently like Pluto TV for example. Admittedly I don't know the difference yet, though either would be appreciated.

Thank you...
First one - they should be basically the same, at least if you're looking at the main releases branch rather than nightlies or similar (or indeed older versions). Our mirror download is for devices that don't have Play Store, or for people who may want/need older versions or access to nightly builds.

Second one - no idea, can't help there

Last one - no, we don't maintain any such list, nor ever will we. We don't supply media, nor do we endorse any sources. All we do is share a list of sources if which used will invalidate any support for your device. And you'd be wise to ignore anything on YouTube that isn't on one of our official channels there, especially if VPNs or anything "free" are mentioned.

Last one (second bit) - on Android Kodi can act as an app launcher. So it can see other apps that are installed on your device, and you can start them from within Kodi. They aren't directly connected to Kodi as in communicating or passing over metadata or source URLs, it's just for a common front-end convenience. These aren't Kodi add-ons, although you may find that both separate apps and addons exist for certain sources (e.g. BBC iPlayer).
(2019-09-25, 15:51)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]First one - they should be basically the same, at least if you're looking at the main releases branch rather than nightlies or similar (or indeed older versions). Our mirror download is for devices that don't have Play Store, or for people who may want/need older versions or access to nightly builds.

Second one - no idea, can't help there

Last one - no, we don't maintain any such list, nor ever will we. We don't supply media, nor do we endorse any sources. All we do is share a list of sources if which used will invalidate any support for your device. And you'd be wise to ignore anything on YouTube that isn't on one of our official channels there, especially if VPNs or anything "free" are mentioned.

Last one (second bit) - on Android Kodi can act as an app launcher. So it can see other apps that are installed on your device, and you can start them from within Kodi. They aren't directly connected to Kodi as in communicating or passing over metadata or source URLs, it's just for a common front-end convenience. These aren't Kodi add-ons, although you may find that both separate apps and addons exist for certain sources (e.g. BBC iPlayer).

Thank you Darren.