Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Setting up Profiles for the Kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I decided to setup two separate profiles... one for the kids, and one me and my wife. I have the profiles setup and operating, but the transition between the profiles doesn't function as I would like.  Ultimately, I would like the kids profile to automatically login (this I was able to achieve by choosing it to auto-login via the Profiles menu).  Then I would like to choose to switch profiles (or log off of the kids profile) so my wife and I could switch to ours.  Unfortunately, the Log Off command is removed from the Power menu because I chose to auto-login to the kids profile.  Also, if the parents profile is left logged in but idle, I would like for the computer to either log out of the parent's profile or switch back to the kids profile automatically.  I did find this add-on (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=197888) that appears to do what I am looking to do, but it hasn't been updated for a while and isn't compatible with the latest version of Kodi.  I also found this add-on (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Logoff) but we use our screen saver to show pictures (which the family really enjoys).  As such, a screen saver add-on isn't an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?  If it's helpful, I'm running LibreELEC 9.0.2.  Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Regards,
Kurt
(2019-09-26, 16:19)realdiehl724 Wrote: [ -> ] Unfortunately, the Log Off command is removed from the Power menu because I chose to auto-login to the kids profile.

I can't reproduce that. Even if I have another profile rather than the master profile as a "start-up-profile", I'm still able to log off from that and then log in to the other profile. So I'm very curious what the issue on your side might be. Are you using the standard Estuary skin?

For the rest (log off when idle), that might require a specific service add-on which you already found. If that's not compatible anymore, then your best chance is to reach out to the add-on dev and ask him if he's willing to update to a working solution.
There's also: https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Sleepy_Watchdog

This doesn't switch profiles currently but I guess it might not be that hard to achieve that.
(2019-09-27, 13:45)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-09-26, 16:19)realdiehl724 Wrote: [ -> ] Unfortunately, the Log Off command is removed from the Power menu because I chose to auto-login to the kids profile.

I can't reproduce that. Even if I have another profile rather than the master profile as a "start-up-profile", I'm still able to log off from that and then log in to the other profile. So I'm very curious what the issue on your side might be. Are you using the standard Estuary skin?

For the rest (log off when idle), that might require a specific service add-on which you already found. If that's not compatible anymore, then your best chance is to reach out to the add-on dev and ask him if he's willing to update to a working solution.

Great point! I am using the Eminence skin... and when I switched back to the standard Estuary skin, the Log Off option reappeared! So at least we nailed down one issue. Thank you for that thought!!
And we also nailed down the other issue Wink

I did some modifications to the SleepyWatchdog Add-on and you are now able to specify a profile to switch to after a specific time:

Download:
https://github.com/DaVukovic/service.sle...switch.zip

I'll also PR that upstream to the add-on dev and maybe he will accept it. But if not, you are totally fine to use the zip you will get from that link above and install it via the "Install via zip" method.
Hope it will work for you and if yes, then have fun with it Wink
(2019-09-27, 16:49)DaVu Wrote: [ -> ]And we also nailed down the other issue Wink

I did some modifications to the SleepyWatchdog Add-on and you are now able to specify a profile to switch to after a specific time:

Download:
https://github.com/DaVukovic/service.sle...ile_switch

I'll also PR that upstream to the add-on dev and maybe he will accept it. But if not, you are totally fine to hit the "Download" button on that github page, download this add-on as a zip file and install that via the "install via zip" option.

Hope it will work for you and if yes, then have fun with it Wink

Oh wow! Thank you so much for tackling that issue!!! I am going to try it shortly!! I will report back my findings.

I don't want to push my luck, but would you be willing to help me with the skin issue too? This morning I installed every single skin that is part of the default Kodi installation. My goal was to find another skin that I like that has the same customization options that I had with Eminence. I'm struggling to find something that meets those two criteria. With that said, I did notice something interesting. I realized that Eminence must use a similar dependency as the Unity and Aeon Nox: SiLVO skins. My reasoning for stating this is that my customized items from Eminence appeared instantly when I installed those two skins. When attempting to customize those skins, I noticed they also all use the same configuration screens. Interestingly enough, Unity and Aeon Nox: SiLVO don't have the same issue with the Log Off option disappearing when Auto-Login is selected. Upon further digging, I noticed a few things....

First, Eminence allows users to customize power menu... the other two do not. With that said, it looks like the other two have their coding for the Power Menu in the DialogButtonMenu.xml file vs Eminence has it's coding in the powermenu.DATA.xml file. I tried to steal the <onclick> information from Unity/Aeon to replace in the <action> section of Eminence... but I fear my lack of coding knowledge is hurting me here.

Second, Eminence uses a <visible> tag to determine, I think, whether or not that feature should show. I'm guessing that may be causing an issue as well.

I feel like I am on to something here but I'm struggling a bit. Would you be willing to assist with this last issue?

Thank you so much for all the work you have done so far. I GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Regards,
Kurt
Well... let me update my progress. I simply removed the <visible> tags from the Log Off command in Eminence and it worked! I'm sure there is a situation where my changes will cause the command to be displayed when it shouldn't, but I can deal with that!!! Thank you, VERY MUCH DaVu for ALL of your help!!!!
Just to let you know. My PR has been merged: https://github.com/b-jesch/service.sleep...d7d1f45142

I also asked him to update the add-on in the Kodi repo. Let's see if he is willing to send it to us.