Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Access Video library with Firestick 4K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a home network including a PC on which I store all my recorded TV and Movies. I share the folders on this PC with the other PCs in the house that are used to view the videos. I also have a library database using MySQL set up on this PC to coordinate the other PCs used to watch TV. All this has been working for several years without a hitch.

Along comes a Firestick TV 4K on which I installed Kodi following the instructions on Troypoint.com. Kodi starts up and all the normal settings work but I can't access the media files on my PC.

I connected the Firestick to my home network.
The folders on the PC containing the videos are shared with advanced sharing and full access is granted to everyone.
I tried to add the files using Windows SMB. The folders that are accessible to my other PCs are //srv/RecordedTV, //srv/Movies, etc.
I try adding these folders along with the account info for the PC including the password
I am told that there is an error and the folders cannot be reached.

I must be missing a setting. The only thing I can think of is that each of the PCs has a user account that matches the one on the central PC while the firestick does not.

Any help would be appreciated.

The next question will be about using the library database. I access this library from the other PCs by editing the advanced setting.xml file and entering the Host IP address for the library. How does the firestick access this database?
Instead of
//srv/RecordedTV
try:
smb://srv/RecordedTV