Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom genres: "Science" bug(?); Need for customization per extra input file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Several users in this forum have addressed the issue of using custom genres, either new genres added by the user or modifications of genres built-in into tinyMM. I am an ardent fan of making the best possible use of genres (ant tags) to make your library visually manageable, and in the course of my using tinyMM I have made the following findings:

1. Adding/modifying genres is easy using tinyMM's dropdown list function.

2. All throughout v2 this was unprobematic.

3. At some point through v3 --I don't recall when but it was after the introduction of the new horrible eye-straining theme-- something got broken. Not too much, but still it got broken. Namely, one built-in genre --"Science Fiction"-- would persist over any addition/modification you wanted to introduce if this modification included the string "Science". I came across this problem because I wanted to mark all my science documentaries with the additional genre "Science". Not possible -- tinyMM would accept and does to this day accept only "Science Fiction" and would override "Science". However, it accepts "Science$", "Science_", and presumably everything which does not include an empty space.

I know the file and database access problems associated with the empty space, but then I tested if the same happens when I try to add "Film Critique" and "Film Analytique", two fictitious new genres which, if the bug was an empty space bug, would have been overriden by the built-in genre "Film Noir". But they get accepted! Go figure...

4. Irrespective of whether tinyMM is or is not faulty in this respect, I strongly petition for the ability to add/modify genres (and tags) per an external file. The current list includes many I never use and does not include even more I need very much. Especially sub-genres in the format Romance.Comedy, Romance.Drama, Romance. Dramedy etc -- to make the administration of your library visually easier.