Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Atmos Skipping (High bitrate audio files)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Any chance that this will be resolved as part of Kodi v. 19?
Nearly zero. No one found the time and those in need also did not step up ... v20 another chance ...
(2021-01-14, 22:23)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Nearly zero. No one found the time and those in need also did not step up ... v20 another chance ...
That is unfortunate - though as a non-coder I'm not sure how I could help.

I had thought someone came up with some code but it had to be integrated - I guess that step just won't happen.  I also assume there aren't enough of us with Atmos setups that this has risen in terms of priority (vs those with HDR tvs) - as this would seem to be a "core" issue (i.e. sound/video playback) that would require a little focus vs. a lot of the other items that have been the focus for v19. HDR had some rather novel and interesting fixes before it got merged.
As the issue is now open for nearly one year. We had hoped that non-coders would have become coders by now. But yeah ... next christmas.
I can confirm the same "skipping" problem with INXS Kick in Atmos on my 2017 Shield when set to Atmos (doesn't do it with the Core 5.1 track or 2.0 stereo track, just Atmos).  Can someone that uses PLEX tell me if I need a server setup or just the NVidia Shield player?  Do you need paid version or account?  I've never really used Plex.

I can just play the INXS album on my LG UHD BD player for the few tracks that skip (Kick, Need You Tonight are the only two music videos that skip; there might be a few more audio only tracks that skip; I didn't write them down).  Frankly, the album doesn't use the overheads to much extent and the Core 5.1 track doesn't skip (i.e. you can have Handbrake extract the core track as a separate track to use).  Fortunately, the best Atmos music albums (Yello's Point and the two Booka Shade albums, Dear Future Self and Galvany Street and Steven Wilson's new "The Future Bites" all work fine other than the occasional "stop" on them (see below) as they're still MKV video files even if there's no picture, just a black screen.  If I store a video locally, it doesn't have the stop issue so it is definitely network related (I've confirmed it does it on both SMB and NFS, though).

I've had odd problems with movies seemingly randomly stopping on the Shield (with a WiFi connection; apparently according to another thread a Gigabit Ethernet connection would fix that) and so I'm thinking perhaps I should consider trying out a different player anyway or failing that, another router brand/model.  Having movies suddenly stop for no apparent reason isn't any fun. I played with my router settings until I was blue in the face and couldn't fix the issue.  It would play a few movies OK and then stop 5 times on the next one, etc.  No other streaming app on the Shield has a problem like that.  My WiFi connection is like 360Mbps to the router and nearly maxed out for maximum possible Internet speed here (currently 125Mbps), which you would think would be enough to buffer far far ahead, but it doesn't buffer much at all and the advanced cache settings cause some movies to not play right that play fine without caching so I got sick of playing with them.  My ancient 2006 AppleTV Gen-1 would pre-buffer a movie all the way to the end (so do all of them including the new ones) so they never skip unless the cache gets overflowed very early on of the network drops entirely. Maybe a new router would solve the problem, maybe not.  

Audio only files sometimes skip on the network too and I assume it's probably related as well, but they typically don't stop entirely).  Music stored locally on the Shield's hard drive don't have skipping issues, just network songs and that's been an issue across three routers over the years, not just my current one (AppleTV plays iTunes library songs fine over the same network since 2007 so I'm not sure what the exact cause is, but it's not a new problem by a long shot).  Given the Shield says "Excellent" for the signal level and a net test maxes out at 125Mbps, it's hard to believe the router's signal is that bad.  I lowered the RTS threshold setting from 1000 to 50 even and it still stops sometimes.  5GHz has a worse signal ("good" rating), but seems to do better than 2.4GHz even so.
Has there been any progress on this issue?

(2021-01-21, 21:57)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]As the issue is now open for nearly one year. We had hoped that non-coders would have become coders by now. But yeah ... next christmas.

I am willing to look into the code. I am just totally unfamiliar with the Kodi source. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look? (files, classes, ...) Maybe the problem has already been pinpointed or some other analysis has been done. I don't want to repeat that if possible.
(2021-05-12, 12:38)karbre Wrote: [ -> ]Has there been any progress on this issue?
(2021-01-21, 21:57)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]As the issue is now open for nearly one year. We had hoped that non-coders would have become coders by now. But yeah ... next christmas.

I am willing to look into the code. I am just totally unfamiliar with the Kodi source. Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to look? (files, classes, ...) Maybe the problem has already been pinpointed or some other analysis has been done. I don't want to repeat that if possible.

Some WIP code can be found here, which apparently did not resolve the issue but gives you the right place to look as to which files to start looking at.

The basic idea is to deal with TrueHD frames that are larger than 1/24 of a MAT frame using a buffer.
The above code was an attempt to port a fix applied to FFMPEG here.
Another possible source of information is LAVFilters, which fixed this issue independently using a similar method.
Thanks! I will have a look at all this in the coming days.
(2021-05-12, 14:04)karbre Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks! I will have a look at all this in the coming days.

I am in a similar position to you, which is that I have programming experience (not so much C++ though) and a desire to fix this issue, but no understanding whatsoever of the Kodi source code/compilation and not much free time to work on it either. I'd be happy to try and help you work on this if you end up needing support.

My first question would be about the (seemingly) duplicated code fixes in VideoPlayer/DVDCodecs/Audio/DVDAudioCodecPassthrough.cpp vs. AudioEngine/Utils/AEBitstreamPacker.cpp... is AudioEngine used as well for audio passthrough during video file playback, or is the fix to AudioEngine only to deal with problematic .truehd audio files?
TrueHD is found in both video and audio only files played by Kodi. Both need the same fix.
(2021-05-12, 14:04)karbre Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks! I will have a look at all this in the coming days.

I am sorry but I need to take that back. I did not find the time as expected and additionally, I am now using a hardware player that is not affected by this issue, so it isn't a priority for me personally anymore. I hope that someone fixes this in the near future (I know of some people that are stopping using the Kodi player because of this).
(2021-05-28, 15:06)karbre Wrote: [ -> ]

I am sorry but I need to take that back. I did not find the time as expected and additionally, I am now using a hardware player that is not affected by this issue, so it isn't a priority for me personally anymore. I hope that someone fixes this in the near future (I know of some people that are stopping using the Kodi player because of this).
Which player did you migrate to?
(2021-07-26, 16:33)Deam Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-05-28, 15:06)karbre Wrote: [ -> ]

Which player did you migrate to?

Zidoo Z9X
I  take it this is still unresolved? I can play Abbey Road in m4a on Windows but not on Kodi on shield due to massive file size and high bitrate. There's no other way around it - any way to encode with smaller bit rate?
I had this issue on the Shield/Kodi with Freeman 4k HDR Blu-Ray with DolbyT-HD. Changed to audio to DTS-HDMA and it was fine after that. See if their is an alternate audio stream. 

This issue could be a deal breaker soon as this kind of content increases in frequencey. Once I get Atmos ceiling speakers, that will be the final straw for Kodi unfortuenlty....... but I'll be greatful for the good times we had!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7