Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: kodi 18.3 windows store not updating to 18.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, windows store version of kodi was updating fine from .0 to .1 .2 .3 but for some reason dont do it to .4

i googled 18.4 on windows store and seems to be released...

What can i do to update it?

thank you.
Thread moved to Windows UWP section.
Just to confirm this is the Store on desktop windows? so not Xbox? If so probably means no one has built the bridge version for the Store..
(2019-10-01, 18:01)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Just to confirm this is the Store on desktop windows? so not Xbox? If so probably means no one has built the bridge version for the Store..

Correct, this problem is on the Windows Desktop Store.

Had just assumed there was a known issue and waited before seeing this thread.
ok, so there is no 18.4 windows store version of kodi?

understood, thank you.
There are two streams in the Windows Store, the full UWP version (for the XBOX) and the desktop bridge version (for PC's).

It looks like updating the bridge version may have been omitted, and is being looked into now.

To repeat @jjd-uk 's question above - are you on an XBOX or a Win10 PC?
(2019-10-02, 14:48)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]There are two streams in the Windows Store, the full UWP version (for the XBOX) and the desktop bridge version (for PC's).

It looks like updating the bridge version may have been omitted, and is being looked into now.

Hi DarrenHill, I've been puzzled about the lack of Kodi 18.4 version on the Microsoft Store on my Win10 PCs for some time, and I just registered to reply to this question - am not the original poster but I confirm I have the same problem described by original poster, on my multiple Windows 10 PCs - can't update to 18.4 due to 18.4 not being proposed on the Store.
(2019-10-02, 13:22)cucol Wrote: [ -> ]ok, so there is no 18.4 windows store version of kodi?

understood, thank you.

Yes, is windows store (windows 10 x64) version.

Thank you for the great work guys, keep it up!
(2019-10-04, 15:31)cucol Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-02, 13:22)cucol Wrote: [ -> ]ok, so there is no 18.4 windows store version of kodi?

understood, thank you.

Although a little annoying for updates, generally its best to install the standard version of Kodi for Windows, rather than the store packaged version unless you have a specific reason to use the store version.
There is a Windows Updater addon in the official repo (Kodi Windows Installer in the programs section) which makes the non-store one simple to keep updated.
(2019-10-05, 11:42)jools5000 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-04, 15:31)cucol Wrote: [ -> ]

understood, thank you.

Although a little annoying for updates, generally its best to install the standard version of Kodi for Windows, rather than the store packaged version unless you have a specific reason to use the store version. 
Why? Thanks for posting somethin, but you don't provide explanation why?
(2019-10-05, 13:08)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]There is a Windows Updater addon in the official repo (Kodi Windows Installer in the programs section) which makes the non-store one simple to keep updated.
I am always concerned about updater "addons", even integrated updaters unless they come from a vendor with strong security background. It's so often we get updaters using http instead of https, or even https but without checking the certificate is legit... allowing for such an easy spoofing of the update server. And then, the updater often doesn't verify the update binary is signed... or it takes unauthenticated data (even metadata) from the update server without checking it, which could contain buffer overflows, stack overflows or similar issues, then it asks for administrative rights to install the update binary...

So for me, no way I'm going to use an updater as an "addon". Even if the addon is legit (it probably is if it is in the official repo), so not malicious in itself, I definitely have no reason to think it is _robust_ against spoofing and other attacks.

Microsoft Store on the other hand, only accepts binaries from the actual Kodi team and pushes them through a security-validated and security-maintained mechanism. And does that automatically, transparently for me.

-> I really love that Kodi is available on Microsoft Store and I only want to use that version! It surely doesn't solve any bug / security issue there might be in actual Kodi product, but at least gets the update situation mostly sorted out.
(2019-10-07, 12:01)cyclistefou Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-05, 13:08)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]There is a Windows Updater addon in the official repo (Kodi Windows Installer in the programs section) which makes the non-store one simple to keep updated.
I am always concerned about updater "addons", even integrated updaters unless they come from a vendor with strong security background. It's so often we get updaters using http instead of https, or even https but without checking the certificate is legit... allowing for such an easy spoofing of the update server. And then, the updater often doesn't verify the update binary is signed... or it takes unauthenticated data (even metadata) from the update server without checking it, which could contain buffer overflows, stack overflows or similar issues, then it asks for administrative rights to install the update binary...

So for me, no way I'm going to use an updater as an "addon". Even if the addon is legit (it probably is if it is in the official repo), so not malicious in itself, I definitely have no reason to think it is _robust_ against spoofing and other attacks.

Microsoft Store on the other hand, only accepts binaries from the actual Kodi team and pushes them through a security-validated and security-maintained mechanism. And does that automatically, transparently for me.

-> I really love that Kodi is available on Microsoft Store and I only want to use that version! It surely doesn't solve any bug / security issue there might be in actual Kodi product, but at least gets the update situation mostly sorted out. 
When I say "I have no reason to think it is robust", I don't intend to be mean against addon developer, and I don't claim it is not robust.

Rather, I express the fact that I have no coherent set of clues, indicators, showing me that it has been developped with security in mind. It's the absence of those clues, and the fact that it is an add-on (so kind of an afterthought, developped separately and not receiving same scrutiny as the core product) that has me dubious - security doesn't come by accident, in years of security research I have almost never seen products secure "by chance".
(2019-10-02, 14:48)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]There are two streams in the Windows Store, the full UWP version (for the XBOX) and the desktop bridge version (for PC's).

Not OP, but I'm on Xbox, and have not had an 18.4 update offered.

Also, I was under the impression that the Windows Store bridge version on desktop became (and updated to) the UWP version with the release of v18.
(2019-10-07, 12:01)cyclistefou Wrote: [ -> ]

That's a fair point, although I should highlight that all it does is give a file/folder view access to our mirror server at the appropriate place and lets you select what you want to install. It doesn't do anything automatically. Basically it's just the same as you manually going to the mirror, going to the appropriate directory, downloading the updated install file and then installing it yourself.

In the end you use what you trust, so in your case doing the same route but manually would be the way to go.
Pages: 1 2 3