Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video freezes for a few seconds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

The last 2-3 weeks when playing video files, sometimes the video freezes for a few seconds and then goes on playing.
When the problem started I had version 18.3 and tried to update to 18.4, but that didn't fix anything.
It's random when it happens and it does it on different video files (movies and tv-series).
Don't know if it's my NAS that's does something, but I hope that someone can spot the problem in the log file.
Something happened at timestamp 2019-10-13 21:38:28.282 as it's visible in the log, but I don't know what to look after.

Thanks in advance

https://paste.kodi.tv/yekamegemi.kodi
(2019-10-13, 22:31)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]The last 2-3 weeks when playing video files, sometimes the video freezes for a few seconds and then goes on playing.

Were your video drivers updated?
Do you have AMD's own proprietary drivers installed?
If things happen only every now and then, I'd say something in the background is being a problem. Perhaps an overactive antivirus scanner?
(2019-10-13, 22:41)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-13, 22:31)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]The last 2-3 weeks when playing video files, sometimes the video freezes for a few seconds and then goes on playing.

Were your video drivers updated?
Do you have AMD's own proprietary drivers installed?
If things happen only every now and then, I'd say something in the background is being a problem. Perhaps an overactive antivirus scanner? 

Hello,
No, video drivers still the same as before the problem started. Yes, on the AMD drivers.
Nothing is changed before and after it started. Running with Windows 10 Pro stock security and MBAM, nothing else.
With the error "hardware accelerator failed to decode picture" you might set for software rendering, syc to playback off, diss-allow hardware acceleration.  Use some of the Keyboard controls (wiki) built in tools to see if there is a fetch bottleneck in your delivery set-up.
(2019-10-13, 22:50)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]With the error "hardware accelerator failed to decode picture" you might set for software rendering, syc to playback off, diss-allow hardware acceleration.  Use some of the Keyboard controls (wiki) built in tools to see if there is a fetch bottleneck in your delivery set-up.

Ok thanks, I will try your suggestions and see if it helps.

But I think it's strange that hardware acceleration suddenly does some problems. Could it be the NAS? Maybe some network failure from the NAS or the harddrive inside the NAS?
I will first try to move some movies and series to the SSD drive (C drive) and play them to see if the problems is still there, that way I know if the NAS is the problem.
(2019-10-13, 23:27)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]it's strange that hardware acceleration suddenly does some problems
Strange stuff for sure. Could be the NAS or networking (playing a local file without hiccups would be telling).
I logged a new file and the error "frame" is not as long as the one from yesterday. Does it look like same problem? Timeframe 2019-10-14 20:45:24.745
This time I didn't stopped the video but let it played after the short freeze (the wife was watching). 
https://paste.kodi.tv/adodurejaw.kodi

After that, I moved a video file to the C drive and the wife told me, that nothing happened this time, but it was only a 20 minutes documentary.
Log for the video played ok https://paste.kodi.tv/coracemoke.kodi (played from 2019-10-14 20:56:21.834)

I will try with a video that lasts longer and see what happens.
I'll be back :-)
I had Plex Media server service running in the background and apparently it was the reason.
Don't know if it's 100% for sure, but since I changed settings in Plex not to start with Windows, the problem hasn't showed itself.

Reason why I had Plex running was, so the wife could watch videos on the smart-tv in bedroom while I was using the HT-PC (connected to the NAS), since there is a Plex app for smart-tv.
Well, I must find another way to watch videos on the smart-tv.
(2019-10-15, 23:33)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]Plex Media server service running in the background and apparently it was the reason
Not sure this is the root of the issue, I use Plex in the background without incident. Might be worthwhile to investigate network bandwidth issues.
And it wasn't. The freezes happened again tonight without the Plex service.
I will try your suggestion and see if it helps, but what are the disadvantages by using software rendering, sync to playback off or disallow hardware acceleration?
Quote:you might set for software rendering, syc to playback off, diss-allow hardware acceleration.
(2019-10-16, 22:26)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]disadvantages by using software rendering, sync to playback off or disallow hardware acceleration?
Rendering of images is using the CPU (software and you have plenty of horse power) vs accelerated (GPU chips on the gfx card takes the burden away from the cpu), one setting might better than the other depending on the algorithms used.. you could play round with various render routines to see what fits best your set-up, but in a lot of cases GPU engines are speed and less in fine tuning. sync to playback is an intensive effort to maintain imagery prioritization with audio synchronization at the expense of smooth delivery (small jitters are usually eliminated with this). Your issue might be network related, playing a full file locally without problems would certainly point back at fetch and delivery issues.
Hello,

Back to start :-(
I tried every suggestions but problem still there. Playing a video from local harddrive works fine.
So is it the network on the computer or the NAS that gives problems?
I could try playing a video with VLC from the NAS and see if something happens, if not could it be something with Kodi and the network?
I don't wanna make a full reset of the NAS and losing all the videofiles and all my backup, if it doesn't make any differences.

Edit:
I played a file on VLC and problem is also happening there.
Is there a way to log whats happening in windows or maybe the network, to see if the network looses some data?
(2019-10-18, 00:37)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]played a file on VLC and problem is also happening
You might try a different network set-up File sharing (wiki) SMB/Windows (wiki) using another program to diagnose networking issues isn't going to work out well.
(2019-10-18, 01:40)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-18, 00:37)HomersDK Wrote: [ -> ]played a file on VLC and problem is also happening
You might try a different network set-up File sharing (wiki) SMB/Windows (wiki) using another program to diagnose networking issues isn't going to work out well. 
Hi, I installed Kodi on the house "Office" PC to test and it plays fine, no freezes. In Kodi I added the mapped drive of the NAS, like it's done on the HT-PC.
So I think the problem is narrowed down to something on the HT-PC and network issues I guess.
Solved.
I looked at the properties for the network adapter and tried to deactivate the Jumbo Packets since they was set to 9KB MTU.
It helped :-)
Pages: 1 2