Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Break up inlcudes.xml into smaller chunks in Estuary
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all skinners,

I wonder if I could request someone breaks up the large includes.xml file in Estuary at some point in the future.

Its hard to keep up to date with all the changes to this file for anyone making Mods of Esturary.

@ronie @Hitcher @phil65 @BigNoid Is thisĀ  a good idea?
i'm not opposed to the suggestion, though imo the includes file really isn't that huge...
it currently has 1500 lines of code. i can bring it down to approx. 1000 lines if i move some related includes to another file.
Not sure what the problem is, simply look at github history to see what's been done https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commits/mas...cludes.xml

However I'm currently in the process of designing a new view for Estuary which mostly reuses the existing includes for views with some new additions, so I was already thinking about doing some shuffling around of Includes, so I could perhaps also take a look at what is possible.
I've become quite familiar with the contents of the includes file, so moving stuff elsewhere might cause confusion for people IMO.
Well there is already :

php:
Includes.xml
Includes_Animations.xml
Includes_Buttons.xml
Includes_DialogSelect.xml
Includes_Home.xml
Includes_MediaMenu.xml

I was just noticing that recent feature PR's always seemed to touch this main include.xml file and was finding it hard to keep up to date with all the changes.

If its not a good idea, then thats fine, just thought I would mention it.

Some comments in the file might also make it easier to understand and modify.
breaks up the large includes.xml i think you need a good text editor notepad++ i find it easy to track the code
Yeh I use Notepad++ myself, but it doesn't help at all understanding a 1,500 line file that seems to change on nearly every new feature that touches the Estuary skin.

The lack of comments also makes it incredibly difficult to browse to find the thing you want.
(2019-10-17, 14:52)docwra Wrote: [ -> ]The lack of comments also makes it incredibly difficult to browse to find the thing you want.
Aye, when I first got interested in the Estuary skin I remember it being a very frustrating time trying to find stuff, or knowing what certain things actually did. As I recall, it was basically a case of temporarily removing something and then seeing if you could actually spot any difference in the skin to work out what that item's purpose was! I still to this day don't really understand why the TV Guide code is split across two xml files. You have a file called 'My TVGuide.xml' so you might naturally assume that everything relating to the TV guide would be in that file, but it's not. Guess there is a solid reason for doing it that way.

As for comments, I did read something a while back from one of the active skinners that too many comments in the variable.xml causes Kodi to have problems. I don't know if there is any truth in that and should that be the case, if the same thing applies to all the xml files?