Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-11-19, 10:44)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-19, 02:09)m.r.f. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-18, 22:40)DaMacFunkin Wrote: [ -> ]I’m watching Angel has fallen in DV and the playback quality is as good as anything I’ve seen, I used to own an Oppo 203, and I’ve Just sold my Zidoo Z9S.

Angel has fallen DV where? Netflix?
Zidoo Z9S, OPPO 203 and Odroid N2 don't have netflix DV.

Make a fair comparison, same MKV movie.
No it was my own DVDfab created DV, yes your right Zidoo Z9S doesn’t have Dolby Vision, that’s why the Shield looks better, why is that not a fair comparison?
What would be the best tool to cut a mp4 into a small section without breaking it?
VideoReDo?
(2019-11-19, 23:05)Ed76 Wrote: [ -> ]has anyone tested the new shield 2019 with live tv? the hardware deinterlacing of the old shield 2015/17 is not supposed to be good, has the shield 2019 improved a bit?

the basic version of shield 2019 only runs with 32 bit. in connection with kodi, there could be disadvantages compared to the old shield (64 bit) in terms of performance when decoding in software or deinterlacing for live tv in software (yadifx2). are there any experiences?

how is it with android with amazon prime inside kodi? under windows all this is decoded in software, how is it with shield?
What was wrong with the deinterlacing on the previous shield? I ave never heard that. I have had both and have never had any issues. I think that both of them will perform very similar in this regard.
(2019-11-21, 00:04)lightsout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-19, 23:05)Ed76 Wrote: [ -> ]has anyone tested the new shield 2019 with live tv? the hardware deinterlacing of the old shield 2015/17 is not supposed to be good, has the shield 2019 improved a bit?

the basic version of shield 2019 only runs with 32 bit. in connection with kodi, there could be disadvantages compared to the old shield (64 bit) in terms of performance when decoding in software or deinterlacing for live tv in software (yadifx2). are there any experiences?

how is it with android with amazon prime inside kodi? under windows all this is decoded in software, how is it with shield?
What was wrong with the deinterlacing on the previous shield? I ave never heard that. I have had both and have never had any issues. I think that both of them will perform very similar in this regard. 

Same here, I watch live TV all the time on my 3 generations of Shields. No issues whatsoever. No idea where you heard that one Wink
(2019-11-19, 01:44)lightsout Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-18, 18:44)southlegend Wrote: [ -> ]So I'm stuck between the Odroid N2 and the 2019 Shield Pro. It seems like once the colorspace issues are sorted (once the Hotfix is fully approved), then the 2019 Shield will be the more versatile player.

I know in previous generations the Shield had inferior quality upscaling and (though this is somewhat subjective) inferior playback visually. I've seen a few people say that the upscaling is now up to scratch, but what about general playback quality. Anyone with experience of an ATV 4k or Odroid N2 able to shed some insight on this?
I have the old and new shield plus the Odroid. If I was doing only local playback the Odroid would be great, its really solid, don't really have any issues. But I use a lot of apps, and want them with full 4K/HDR. So the odroid doesn't work for my main device.

In my opinion the picture on the new Shield looks great. I saw some comparisons over at AVSforum, and it looks like the scaling and PQ is now on par with the Apple TV. 

I would only pick the Odroid personally if I was using it for local playback. You will have the Netflix plugin but for me its kind of a pain and often breaks. 
Thanks for your insight.

I was having an internal debate between the two. The Odroid N2 sounds ideal for 80% of our media consumption, which is from my Plex NAS. However, I use a few sports streaming apps which require a Chromecast and the Shield ticks this box - big win for me!

Glad to hear the PQ is better. It sounds like color space switching issues have been resolved too.
Hi, atm surely ODROID N2 and ATV 4k are the best solutions, but on the first one we only have Kodi, and on the second one we only have mrMC and only tvOS apps (very limited close system).

The only os that keeps the best of both would be Android, so nvidia shield should be the route... Could someone make me a summary on nvidia shiled 2019 vs Apple Tv 4k ? 

Thanks
(2019-11-21, 13:13)antony23 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, atm surely ODROID N2 and ATV 4k are the best solutions, but on the first one we only have Kodi, and on the second one we only have mrMC and only tvOS apps (very limited close system).

The only os that keeps the best of both would be Android, so nvidia shield should be the route... Could someone make me a summary on nvidia shiled 2019 vs Apple Tv 4k ? 

Thanks

Like wrxtasy and others have mentioned. The Odroid N2 is the best if all you're wanting to play is content you've got stored locally. It ticks pretty much all the boxes right now.

AppleTV 4K appears to be the best as long as you have no requirement for (lossless) metadata based audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS:X). I would've snapped up an ATV ages ago but I have an Atmos capable Samsung HW-Q90R so I'd like to make full use of that where possible.

Check this thread out (especially the first post): https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

EDIT: *lossless* metadata audio. Rightfully corrected by @noggin
(2019-11-21, 13:13)antony23 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, atm surely ODROID N2 and ATV 4k are the best solutions, but on the first one we only have Kodi, and on the second one we only have mrMC and only tvOS apps (very limited close system).

Thanks

Pretty simply.

If you are talking about flexibility with Sideloading Tablet Android Apps into the Nvidia Shield, you are then also dealing with landscape/portrait display issues and tablet Apps controlability issues.
A seperate purchased Air Mouse is then needed, which entirely defeats the purpose of the leanback Android TV OS interface in the very first place.

The 2019 Shield is a Swiss Army knife of a media player, not an expert in any one field but flexible, especially for those that like to fiddle and are firmly entrenched in Android land.
However beware the bugs, and for the 2019 Shield you are currently dealing with Beta Hotfix Test Firmware if you want working colorspace switching - that comes with extra bugs too. You have then effectively turned yourself into a Nvidia Firmware text guinea pig.
I hope you are the patient type.

The Apple TV 4K is the Gold standard for a 4K HDR DV (lossy) Atmos streaming media player. It really does get the best Firmware support around and Apps are nicely polished with most of them using Cinema type features like auto Frame Rate Matching.
Which is really important for territories around the world that have to deal with 25/50fps and also 24p video playback all on the one device.

ATV 4K also runs a sharp shiny 4K user interface that looks great on a 65” OLED !
Where I live there is better tvOS Apps availability and support vs Android TV as well, (excluding direct install Kodi) it is NOT a limited Apps eco system at all

The ODROID N2, running CoreELEC Kodi is laser focused in providing the best 4K HDR, HD audio Kodi Leia experience you can get. You also get to fiddle and tweak around a bit in Linux land if needed.
It really gets great support from the CE guys and just works. Reliable these days. Set and forget.

So ultimately the question is are you a tweaker, and like to fiddle and fart around in Android land, problem solving or do you just want something that is Plug n Play and just works even if it means a couple of device might be needed ?

Personally I’m time poor these days and just want Plug n Play and reliability, out of the box.

Others will have different requirements and that’s fine too, there is no one size fits all.
(2019-11-21, 13:41)southlegend Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks

Like wrxtasy and others have mentioned. The Odroid N2 is the best if all you're wanting to play is content you've got stored locally. It ticks pretty much all the boxes right now.

AppleTV 4K appears to be the best as long as you have no requirement for metadata based audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS:X). I would've snapped up an ATV ages ago but I have an Atmos capable Samsung HW-Q90R so I'd like to make full use of that where possible.

Check this thread out (especially the first post): https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180  

Though worth remembering the Apple TV 4K DOES support Dolby Atmos metadata based object audio for streaming services - but only for Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos lossy streams (as used by Netflix, Amazon Prime Video) rather than the lossless Dolby True HD with Atmos (as used for main sound tracks on UHD and HD Blu-rays with Atmos)

So you will get Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video, but not with the main soundtracks of ripped Blu-rays with Atmos.
(2019-11-21, 14:07)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-11-21, 13:41)southlegend Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks

AppleTV 4K appears to be the best as long as you have no requirement for metadata based audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS:X). I would've snapped up an ATV ages ago but I have an Atmos capable Samsung HW-Q90R so I'd like to make full use of that where possible.

Though worth remembering the Apple TV 4K DOES support Dolby Atmos metadata based object audio for streaming services - but only for Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos lossy streams (as used by Netflix, Amazon Prime Video) rather than the lossless Dolby True HD with Atmos (as used for main sound tracks on UHD and HD Blu-rays with Atmos)

So you will get Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video, but not with the main soundtracks of ripped Blu-rays with Atmos.

Yes ATV 4K, Dolby Atmos from Netflix, iTunes, ATV+ and Disney+ Apps is working fine when streamed to my DV Atmos capable OLED.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to hear the difference between lossy Bluray TrueHD/Atmos and lossy (internet streamed) DD+ with Atmos if all they are using for audio output is a Atmos TV or Atmos soundbar.
(2019-11-21, 14:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes ATV 4K, Dolby Atmos from Netflix, iTunes, ATV+ and Disney+ Apps is working fine when streamed to my DV Atmos capable OLED.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to hear the difference between lossy Bluray TrueHD/Atmos and lossy (internet streamed) DD+ with Atmos if all they are using for audio output is a Atmos TV or Atmos soundbar. 

Yes - though they will hear the difference between Dolby True HD with Atmos decoded to PCM 5.1/7.1 with no height speaker feeds due to the lack of objects? (And most UHD Blu-rays don't have a fall-back to DD+ Atmos tracks do they? Those are usually for secondary or tertiary language options)
(2019-11-08, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

Some people think that their TV, their AVR - whatever, is the best upscaler on this planet. Therefore they want kodi to output in the native resolution of the Video, so that their TV / AVR can then upscale this resolution to the native resolution of the TV.
With nvidia's AI scaler (funny btw. what one calles AI today), you have the superior scaler _IN_ your shield, means: set the output to the native resolution for your TV, e.g. 3840x2160 and just enable refreshrate switching without adding other resolutions to the whitelist (besides 3840x2160), that way mediacodec-surface (internally, without kodi influence) will do the scaling of the video surface.

Got it?
Sorry I don't get it, at least I cant get the AI scaling to work on my Kodi, always just says "No supported content".
Settings i've tried setting based on your comment (im kodi noob so probably wrong).

Resolution: 4k (4k tv)
Whitelist: 4k (all possible refresh rates, not sure this is needed)
Adjust Refresh Rate: "On start/stop" (Since I read ai scaling does not work when set above 30frames)

Can anyone tell me how to set this up so it works?
Thanks in advance
(2019-11-21, 00:04)lightsout Wrote: [ -> ]

i have read on several websites that the deinterlacing quality of the shield should not be very good, e.g. in the nvidia forum or in the kodi forum

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=343959
I've been using the Shield TV 4 years and it has perfect deinterlacing. If that wasn't the case, I would have ditched it the next day.
I read about the shield tv anywhere here in the forum, and each one say a thing that contradicts an other...
It seems the stuff here is subjective and not objective.. Really weird!