Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I'm about to purchase one of these and have a couple of questions.

I'm pairing this with an LG C9. My main usage will be Kodi with plugins for Plex (streaming direct play, no transcoding, of 4K HDR Remuxes and 1080p) and Netflix, as I read that there's issues with frame rate switching as opposed to Kodi.

My main question is what would be the optimal settings? As I'm afraid I might have to spend endless time changing settings depending on the source etc I just want the most seamless experience possible.

Second, what would be the best way to connect this? HDMI to the eARC input or does it not matter at all??

Thanks!
Every other app on my shield TV pro plays Bitstream Audio without any issues but kodi only output any Audio format PCM.

I have check all the settings and still the same issue.
Use: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk (don't care about the name)

Go to audio settings and change the lower PT device to RAW. Test - if it still does not work, post a Debug Log - without no one can and will help you.
(2020-02-16, 11:23)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Use: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk (don't care about the name)

Go to audio settings and change the lower PT device to RAW. Test - if it still does not work, post a Debug Log - without no one can and will help you.

Debug log

Still not working
Lol. It can't work for you as you have enabled "Sync Playback to display" - ever cared to read its description?

Disable that and try again.

PS: don't confuse this with Adjust refresh rate to match video, which is sth completely different and can stay enabled.
(2020-02-16, 17:00)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Lol. It can't work for you as you have enabled "Sync Playback to display" - ever cared to read its description?

Disable that and try again.

PS: don't confuse this with Adjust refresh rate to match video, which is sth completely different and can stay enabled.
Sync Playback to display was disabled in the stock 18.5 and still didn't work but I will try again to disable it with your update and report back.

Thanks!
It has zero to do with my update, your log was fully clear. Every PT codec was just decoded to PCM and sent out as LPCM. In any case - don't forget your Debug Log.
(2020-02-16, 18:39)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]It has zero to do with my update, your log was fully clear. Every PT codec was just decoded to PCM and sent out as LPCM. In any case - don't forget your Debug Log.

Still not working.

DEBUG LOG
Quote:2020-02-16 13:59:14.978 T:8429  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

Quote:2020-02-16 14:00:53.105 T:8580  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

Quote:2020-02-16 14:02:33.864 T:8687  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

... and 5 more

You are kidding me, right? Passthrough is not even enabled ...

Enable Expert Level, go to audio settings and verify that all PT codecs are properly selected. Without having settings levels at advanced or expert, you won't see that settings.
(2020-02-16, 21:38)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:2020-02-16 13:59:14.978 T:8429  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
Quote:2020-02-16 14:00:53.105 T:8580  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)
Quote:2020-02-16 14:02:33.864 T:8687  NOTICE: Creating audio stream (codec id: 86060, channels: 8, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

... and 5 more

You are kidding me, right? Passthrough is not even enabled ...

Enable Expert Level, go to audio settings and verify that all PT codecs are properly selected. Without having settings levels at advanced or expert, you won't see that settings. 

Working, rookie mistake.
Hi guys. With the new Shield TV, the Picture of the Movies seemes to be blurred / unsharp / motionblur.

Every fast motion is smudging and shaking.

Does anyone know this problem ?

Pleas help what is wrong. Thanks.

I play via kodi app.

My setup is : Sony TV 65" XF9005 4K
Denon receiver avr x3200w 4K
Shield tv pro 2019
Kodi v18.5 leila

Settings: Nvidia shield HDMI to receiver Denon and from denon to sony tv.

Sony tv: setup - format signal hdmi: improved 4k

Denon receiver: setup - video mode auto

Kodi : setup - resolution 3840×2160p 59,94hz

Shield tv pro 2019: setup - resolution 4K 59,940hz HDR ready

I try refresh rate on kodi when i play content but the result is the same.

(2020-02-21, 11:55)Drake992 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys. With the new Shield TV, the Picture of the Movies seemes to be blurred / unsharp / motionblur.

Does anyone know this problem ?

Pleas help what is wrong. Thanks.

I play via kodi app.

My setup is : Sony TV 65" XF9005 4K
Denon receiver avr x3200w 4K
Shield tv pro 2019
Kodi v18.5 leila

Settings: Nvidia shield HDMI to receiver Denon and from denon to sony tv.

Sony tv: setup - format signal hdmi: improved 4k

Denon receiver: setup - video mode auto

Kodi : setup - resolution 3840×2160p 59,94hz

Shield tv pro 2019: setup - resolution 4K 59,940hz HDR ready

I try refresh rate on kodi when i play content but the result is the same.

What is the resolution, frame rate and codec of your source material (a Media Info report may be useful), and have you enabled any refresh rate switching on playback, or used Whitelisting to enable frame rate switching.  The vast majority of movies aren't shot at 59.94Hz (they are shot at 23.976 or 24) - so if you are running at a fixed frame rate you will be adding motion artefacts on playback (which your TV may then be trying to remove)
Hi Noggin.

Every fast motion is blurred unsharp shaking in movies 1080p ,4K .

My source material is 23,976. I'm trying to enable any refresh rate to turn on playback. I also used the white list and the result the same.

for example, the movie has 1080p. . . kodi switches to 1080p 24p. The result should be smooth, right? my result is shaking and motion blur.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. How should I set Sony TV -hdmi standard or 4k? Shield resolution and kodi resolution? denon receiver is auto hdmi.

I am confused thank you for any hel
I own a 2015 shield. When the 2017 version came out it seemed basically like the same thing. I've read that the 2019 does have newer hardware in it. Now that Netflix supports ATMOS and Disney+ also has Atmos. I've noticed both my fire tv 4K stick and 2015 Shield don't support Atmos on them. After LOTS of googling I found an article that mentions the 2019 shield tv supports Atmos for Netflix and Disney+. Can anyone tell me if the 2019 version has that support? I almost bought an Apple TV 4K since that does support Atmos on all the apps. If the shield does support Atmos for those apps I would prefer to get that.
2019 Shield = lossy Atmos on most Apps - except - Disney+
Does lossless Bluray quality TrueHD/Atmos using Apps like Kodi, Plex & Emby.
No Apple TV App, which means you miss out on the highest quality, affordable, Atmos 4K HDR DV iTunes & ATV+ streaming content currently available online.

Apple TV 4K = lossy Atmos on all Apps, except it does not do Bluray quality TrueHD/Atmos audio passthru.
You get only TrueHD decoded to lossless LPCM on that using Apps like MrMC & Infuse.