Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2020-02-22, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]2019 Shield = lossy Atmos on most Apps - except - Disney+
Does lossless Bluray quality TrueHD/Atmos using Apps like Kodi, Plex & Emby.
No Apple TV App, which means you miss out on the highest quality, affordable, Atmos 4K HDR DV iTunes & ATV+ streaming content currently available online.

Apple TV 4K = lossy Atmos on all Apps, except it does not do Bluray quality TrueHD/Atmos audio passthru.
You get only TrueHD decoded to lossless LPCM on that using Apps like MrMC & Infuse.

Is the Apple TV 4K properly handling HDR metadata now?  For DV content this should be a moot point, but for regular HDR10 content having fixed HDR metadata, lack of this metadata can be a real issue with displays that tone-map out-of-display-range content based on the static HDR10 metadata. (Projectors and some OLEDs in particular?). For a long time the Apple TV 4K was outputting a fixed HDR10 metadata for all content - not changing it based on the content played?
(2020-02-22, 11:00)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-22, 05:52)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]2019 Shield = lossy Atmos on most Apps - except - Disney+
No Apple TV App, which means you miss out on the highest quality, affordable, Atmos 4K HDR DV iTunes & ATV+ streaming content currently available online.

Apple TV 4K = lossy Atmos on all Apps, except it does not do Bluray quality TrueHD/Atmos audio passthru.
You get only TrueHD decoded to lossless LPCM on that using Apps like MrMC & Infuse.

Is the Apple TV 4K properly handling HDR metadata now?  

No, nothing has changed.

Quote:For DV content this should be a moot point, but for regular HDR10 content having fixed HDR metadata, lack of this metadata can be a real issue with displays that tone-map out-of-display-range content based on the static HDR10 metadata. (Projectors and some OLEDs in particular?).

Yes very true, I would say only some of the Premium HDR10 displays can do detailed picture analysis and tone mapping, even with incomplete static Metadata passed thru to them.
There is definitely different Tone Mapped picture output results between 4K HDR10 TV brands.
As @djnice and myself have found out from here onwards: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2909456

So no Atmos support for Disney+ on the 2019 Shield? Guess I’ll stick with my 2015 model and maybe in the future get an Apple TV 4K for everything else Atmos related.
(2020-02-22, 19:06)Tatts4Life Wrote: [ -> ]

So no Atmos support for Disney+ on the 2019 Shield? Guess I’ll stick with my 2015 model and maybe in the future get an Apple TV 4K for everything else Atmos related.

The official word is "coming soon".

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...on-shield/
Does the new Shield handle Bluray 3D / MVC ?
(2020-02-26, 13:22)opeters Wrote: [ -> ]Does the new Shield handle Bluray 3D / MVC ?

No, no, no, never has and never will.
Do people actually still watch 3d?
(2020-02-26, 16:08)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Do people actually still watch 3d?

Yes, why not?

Well I do, so yeas :p .  Always better than a 4K flat movie i.m.h.o.
(2020-02-26, 18:44)ragico Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, why not?

Because I keep reading it’s dead. No new 3d tv are being manufactured, etc. I never got into it so I was surprised there are still 3d users out there, that’s all.
(2020-02-27, 01:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-26, 18:44)ragico Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, why not?  

Because I keep reading it’s dead. No new 3d tv are being manufactured, etc. I never got into it so I was surprised there are still 3d users out there, that’s all.  

There are still 3D releases I believe, and projectors with 3D functionality are still being produced AIUI. 4K and HDR have eclipsed 3D as 'the next big thing' - and the widespread support of streaming providers for UHD HDR has been significant in their popularity in the market. I'm not sure 3D is ever going to be 'huge', but some aspects of Home Theatre never are, but continue with enthusiast levels of support. I think 3D is one of those.
(2020-02-27, 11:01)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-27, 01:10)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-26, 18:44)ragico Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, why not?  

There are still 3D releases I believe, and projectors with 3D functionality are still being produced AIUI. 4K and HDR have eclipsed 3D as 'the next big thing' - and the widespread support of streaming providers for UHD HDR has been significant in their popularity in the market. I'm not sure 3D is ever going to be 'huge', but some aspects of Home Theatre never are, but continue with enthusiast levels of support. I think 3D is one of those. 

May be sometime in the future we will see 4k and 3d together. hopefully without any glass needed. That will be really "huge"
Tbh when I had my 4K curved Sammy some 3D titles on it where amazing once I calibrated it through the 3d3 active glasses, shame 3D is still implemented in new sets.
I always found 3D movies (at home or at the cinema) to be counter-immersive as they made objects feel like they were in the space between me and the screen taking them out of the viewing experience.
Hi wrxtasy. I would like to ask you for help. I noticed that you're an expert here. can I ask you for your opinion? Big thanks.