Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2019-10-27, 17:51)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-17, 17:41)lightsout Wrote: [ -> ]NVIDIA Shield TV Pro | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player, High Performance, Dolby Vision, 3GB RAM...
...The Best of the Best. Up to 25% faster than the previous generation thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip.

When advertising talks about 25% faster it looks like a simple GPU clock rate increase as seen here in the Tegra model No. T210B01 aka the X1+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1 

On the geforce forums one of the nvidia devs did say they were working on cpu based vp9 for youtube but they never got it working properly and now with google moving to  av1 they have stopped working on it for the time being.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...d/2301846/
They're out, but already out of stock at Amazon it seems now available at Amazon:
- Shield TV Tube
- Shield TV Pro

Some reviews:
- The Verge, for Tube
- TechRadar, for Pro

In addition to Dolby Vision, the AI-powered 4K upscaling sounds like a winner.

Hmm, buy the Pro now or wait a few weeks for a potential Black Friday deal?! Wink
Not Kodi related but this does Atmos across the board now (if the service offers it) I don't think the previous models did that.
(2019-10-18, 00:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-17, 21:25)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]And now we have this https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-...k-1042880/

Same SOC as the Pro
Oh man... this is definitely the firestick killer 
Not at $150 it isn't.

Ethernet port & Micro SD card on a stick are great additions though. I would certainly pay a little more than what Amazon wants for their hardware on that basis alone. but not three times as much.
(2019-10-28, 17:43)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Not Kodi related but this does Atmos across the board now (if the service offers it) I don't think the previous models did that.

It should do (eg Netflix) because the 2019 Shield now has an actual Dolby Audio license that looks like it is properly implemented.

Personally I value Apps - auto Frame Rate Matching, like you get on the well sorted, Apple TV 4K - more vs Atmos.
(2019-10-29, 05:34)Nostrodamus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-18, 00:47)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-17, 21:25)Topken Wrote: [ -> ]And now we have this https://www.androidauthority.com/nvidia-...k-1042880/

Same SOC as the Pro
Oh man... this is definitely the firestick killer  
Not at $150 it isn't.

Ethernet port & Micro SD card on a stick are great additions though. I would certainly pay a little more than what Amazon wants for their hardware on that basis alone. but not three times as much. 
Though the Firestick has major audio limitations doesn't it - so is a non-starter for many who want lossless HD Audio (either PCM or bit streamed) rather than permanent lossy DD+?
(2019-10-29, 06:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-28, 17:43)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]Not Kodi related but this does Atmos across the board now (if the service offers it) I don't think the previous models did that.

It should do (eg Netflix) because the 2019 Shield now has an actual Dolby Audio license that looks like it is properly implemented.

Personally I value Apps - auto Frame Rate Matching, like you get on the well sorted, Apple TV 4K - more vs Atmos.   
Presumably this is a Netflix issue - as the Shield TV and Amazon Fire TV both have APIs to allow for frame rate switching - but the Netflix app doesn't implement them on either platform (Last time I checked Amazon's Fire TV only switched frame rates dynamically with Prime Video, and not Netflix)?

The same limitations apply to the Apple TV 4K - but more app authors have embraced the API frame rate switching functionality on the tvOS platform I guess (one notable exception is BBC iPlayer - which is why my default refresh rate is 50Hz on my ATV 4K - so that iPlayer stuff is displayed at the correct frame rate)

Lack of Kodi is a bit of a issue, what with this being a Kodi forum and all.
(2019-10-29, 12:43)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]

What do you mean 'lack of Kodi'?  There are Kodi Android TV builds that run on the Shield TV with HD Audio bitstreaming, Frame rate switching, HDR/SDR switching and in some cases Rec 709/Rec 2020 gamut switching (though this isn't consistent between various Android TV builds)  For purely Kodi use - the Shield TV is probably the best Android TV device around.  I've had an original Shield TV for a couple of years now - and have been running Kodi since I bought the box.

Have you seen somewhere where it's been started that the Kodi builds that run on older Shield TV models don't work on the 2019 Shield TV and Shield TV Pro devices?
@ KODI devs

Any news about KODI on 2019 Shield TV new features feedback
(2019-10-29, 13:40)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 12:43)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 06:17)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]It should do (eg Netflix) because the 2019 Shield now has an actual Dolby Audio license that looks like it is properly implemented.

What do you mean 'lack of Kodi'?
On the Apple TV.
(2019-10-29, 15:47)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 13:40)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 12:43)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]Lack of Kodi is a bit of a issue, what with this being a Kodi forum and all.     

What do you mean 'lack of Kodi'?  
On the Apple TV.  
Ah - yes - MrMC (a Kodi fork) is the Apple TV nearest bet. I thought the OP was writing about the Shield TV 2019.
(2019-10-29, 19:51)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 15:47)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 13:40)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean 'lack of Kodi'?  
On the Apple TV.  
Ah - yes - MrMC (a Kodi fork) is the Apple TV nearest bet. I thought the OP was writing about the Shield TV 2019.

You unloaded on the poor fella for nothing! Smile

I am curious though if the new shield upscaler works as well as Apple TV (for Kodi as well as other apps)
Or does N2 perform better. Wish someone who owned all three could share their thoughts.
(2019-10-29, 20:13)ozkhan1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 19:51)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-29, 15:47)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]On the Apple TV.  

You unloaded on the poor fella for nothing! Smile

I am curious though if the new shield upscaler works as well as Apple TV (for Kodi as well as other apps)
Or does N2 perform better. Wish someone who owned all three could share their thoughts. 
I'm close to pulling the trigger on an N2...