Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu package for automatic time zone detection?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally managed to get my home upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 all the way around save one LTSP pxe chroot still running 16.04. Last night I happened to notice that the time setting in my guest bedroom was wrong on Kodi. I checked the tzdata and the bios time. Everything was set properly. As it turns out I just had to manually set the timezone in Kodi itself.

My question is why did I have to do this? In the past 4 years of 14.04 / 16.04 I have never once touched that setting. I didn't even know it existed. Is this something new with 18.04, or am I missing a package. If a package, what am I missing?

The problem is fixed now, but I'd like to know what was different between my 16.04 and 18.04 installations that caused no auto detection. 

Appreciate your responses. Thank you for your time.
I don't believe kodi detects timezones automatically.  At least it does not on Arch.
The package required, I believe, is ntp (Network Time Protocol daemon and utility programs) If this is installed, check the Time and Date settings and change the configuration to "Keep synchronised with internet servers"