Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How enabled HDR video on AMD Graphics
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I want to ask how to switch video output to OpenGL. I did not find this option in the KODI settings.

AMD graphics can play HDR video through OpenGL (verified with mpv --hwdec=vaapi --vo=opengl)

Thanks for advice.
Kodi by default outputs opengl
(2019-10-29, 20:08)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi by default outputs opengl

THX for reply.

On left mpv, on right KODI.

VAAPI acceleration works, that's OK. I just have a problem with HDR. That's why I got the output (VAAPI vs OGL). KODI is from Pacman repository (openSUSE). Do you have any tips on how to set it up? (kodi 18.3, libva 2.5, kernel 5.3/5.4)
One does proper tonemapping, the other not. Additionally right hand side seems to output limited range on full range display.

There is much more wrong.
I don't know what to call it right. Basically, the KODI output is the same as the mpv with VAAPI output, which does not seem to support HDR. The video looks like "in the fog".

The mpv output via OGL is more acceptable, so I thought it would be the output setting. I was just wondering if there was a way to set it up. Module amdgpu got initial HDR support in kernel 5.3. That's why I ask like this.

THX for the answers.
Start with the Debug Log please / or a sample. If the file does not announce tonemapping data, then kodi won't do any.
Sample: The World in HDR.mkv
https://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/

log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/omabemihux.kodi

It's the same with Vega 3 and Navi 10
(2019-11-01, 12:58)littleon Wrote: [ -> ]Sample: The World in HDR.mkv

FYI: don't put a webpage between IMG-tags in the forum editor. Better yet, use the i-button in the editor menu for a direct upload and URL for your image(s). Smile
The file you link does not reflect the file you play. Above google drive seems to be down, but it tells HEVC while the log plays VP9.

Can you try: ok_Sony_4K_HDR_Camp.mp4 - it's also somewhere available, with that file you can see kodi's Reinhard implementation. It's not the latest and greatest HDR available on this planet but it works quire okayish.
(2019-11-01, 13:08)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]FYI: don't put a webpage between IMG-tags in the forum editor. Better yet, use the i-button in the editor menu for a direct upload and URL for your image(s). Smile

thx, i will learn it Smile
(2019-11-01, 13:44)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]The file you link does not reflect the file you play. Above google drive seems to be down, but it tells HEVC while the log plays VP9.

Samples are from the wiki. Sample "The World in HDR.mkv" is VP9.

Ok, the problem is not with HEVC HDR10 but with HEVC HDR10+, I'm sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize that HDR10+ is not yet supported. But sample The World in HDR.mkv is VP9 & SMPTE ST 2086, so HDR10. This should be supported? The log for VP9 is above.
No. In short: Only what reports light metadata via ffmpeg is supported. You can see that when you switch the OSD video settings while playing the video to the ToneMapping setting. If you can change that, we support it, else not.