Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 780g Ati hd3200 VSync / Video tearing (has anybody got this working)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
BIG success!! Followed gaarv's advice and no more tearing!! Thanx a lot all (also ATI for the new driverHuh)..
g0dders Wrote:Gaarv:

The drivers that come with Ubuntu (and the drivers supplied by EnvyNG) do not appear to support vsync. Following advice on these forums I installed the newest Catalyst drivers manually, using this:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...tion_Guide

Those DO seem to support vsync. However you will probably get some tearing still. I managed to fix that by switching to a 24Hz refresh rate.

Unfortunately, all those tweaks (especially the vsync) have rendered my 780g a bit too slow to play anything over 720p (and it drops frames on a lot of those). I've since upgraded to an Intel G35 and E8400 CPU, which seems MUCH more capable.

Can't find where to switch to a 24Hz refresh rate. Do you mean the refresh rate at the monitor? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Annyone?
You should be fine just by following the instructions in the unofficial ATI wiki.

What g0dders what referring to is probably Xorg configuration modelines.
I have the same with the new Intel X4500HD.

gaarv: maybe you can give me a hint to get rid of the tearing?
I got rid of tearing by :
- following the unofficial wiki guide to manually install official ATI catalyst drivers
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...yst_8.8.29
- when under your graphical desktop of choice (kde, gnome, whatever), use the ATI control panel to enable VSYNC (under 3D, put slider to right end)
- its best to disable vsync in Xbmc settings even if it wont break anything

Nothing more. I tried everything, and I really mean everything to get this solved for weeks, and in the end, it was only down to that.

The thing is that the ATI drivers are still nowadays very buggy and the commands line or settings you think that would work, in fact dont. No

I didnt even find where those settings are kept... But anyway, it works.
Quote:I didnt even find where those settings are kept... But anyway, it works.

Did a bit of research through strace and found it is written in:

Code:
/etc/ati/amdpcsdb

VSyncControl=V0 vs. VSyncControl=V3. Don't know which process is reading this file (yet) though.. Could be the driver itself..
I'm getting some very strange playback behavior and I'm wondering if anyone else with ATI is fairing any better getting content to play without dropping a significant number of frames or with playback faster than 20 FPS.

HD 3200 / 780G graphics
AMD X2 6000+ (3.0Ghz)
2Gb RAM
ATI Catalyst 8.12 drivers
skiploopfilter set to 48
VSync turned all the way on with Catalyst Control Center
VSync disabled in XBMC
Running SVN version of XBMC from 26-Dec with all the new FFMPEG bits.

I'm not having any problems with tearing thanks to the info in this thread, but playback is ridiculously slow for some content with lots of frames getting dropped. Weird thing is I get worse playback for some PAL Xvid content than for 720p H264.

720p H264 with Big Buck Bunny plays back pretty damn smooth with CPUs at ~30%/30%. This is in a .mov container. A few dropped frames.

720p H264 from recorded DVB-T content plays back reasonably with CPUs at ~60%/30%. This is in a .ts container. More dropped frames than Big Buck Bunny.

1080i H264 (with PAFF interlacing) from recorded DVB-T content plays back choppy with CPUs at ~100%/65%. In a .ts container. Huge number of dropped frames. FPS only ~19.

PAL 720x576 Xvid rip (MPEG4) has one CPU pegged at 100% with the other at ~10%. This is in an AVI container. Lots of dropped frames. This was silky smooth on the original XBox!

1080p H264 Killa Sample has one CPU pegged at 100% with other at ~20%. In an MKV container. Not too many dropped frames but playback is pretty choppy at only ~19FPS.

Has anyone got anything running more smoothly with ATI? What else can I do to improve performance?

My xorg.conf is pretty standard at the moment with just TexturedVideo turned on and UseFastTLS. I've tried a bunch of other options I've seen floating around but none seemed to make any noticeable difference, e.g. BackingStore, XAANoOffscreenPixmaps, NoFlip, TripleBuffer...

The xorg.conf options all seem a bit too much like black magic for my liking. Haven't found anything concrete about what each option does and what it means for the ATI Catalyst driver.

Help! I can't believe the original XBox is whomping the 3.0Ghz CPU and 10 years newer GPU for playback of Xvid rips of PAL content.
Pages: 1 2