Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Browsing folders on Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently changed laptops. Both are running Windows 10. My old laptop I was able to browse to my Raspberry Pi by entering the IP in File manager: \\192.168.x.x

On the new machine I get an error that Windows cannot access \\....

Maybe I'm searching wrong, but I cannot seem to find a way around this?

My Raspberry Pi is connected to my living room TV with an external hdd. Normally I could add/remove files from my Windows machine over File Manager. Now that seems to not be the case. Does anyone have a solution or a workaround? Running all the latest LE and Kodi builds.

Thanks!
Careful with the term 'builds', we are quite allergic to it because it tends to refer to video piracy add-ons.

Your current Kodi setup uses a newer version of the SMB network protocol.
It used to be SMBv1, but since the whole worldwide WannaCry disaster, Microsoft finally woke up and fixed a lot of security holes.

This results in SMBv2 (and higher), which is also the default in LibreELEC.
SMBv2 requires two major changes: the server machine must have a user with a password, and also network browsing is no longer enabled.
Meaning, you will need to set up a network connection from your Windows machine to the LibreELEC device.

Also don't forget to check any firewall settings on your Windows box.
(2019-11-26, 14:18)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Careful with the term 'builds', we are quite allergic to it because it tends to refer to video piracy add-ons.

Your current Kodi setup uses a newer version of the SMB network protocol.
It used to be SMBv1, but since the whole worldwide WannaCry disaster, Microsoft finally woke up and fixed a lot of security holes.

This results in SMBv2 (and higher), which is also the default in LibreELEC.
SMBv2 requires two major changes: the server machine must have a user with a password, and also network browsing is no longer enabled.
Meaning, you will need to set up a network connection from your Windows machine to the LibreELEC device.

Also don't forget to check any firewall settings on your Windows box.
Sorry about the builds Wink No intention of that. 

How do I setup a new connection then from Windows? I have a user/pass already setup on my Pi. Or is there a better way to connect my Win 10 machine to my Pi?
I don't use Windows myself anymore, I stopped doing that some 9 years ago. Smile
But I'm sure there is some option like "Connect to server" somewhere in the File Explorer, and a input box appears for network user credentials.

Alternatively you could change the SMB minimum protocol in the LibreELEC Settings addon.
This is not recommended, obviously.
(2019-11-26, 15:17)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use Windows myself anymore, I stopped doing that some 9 years ago. Smile
But I'm sure there is some option like "Connect to server" somewhere in the File Explorer, and a input box appears for network user credentials.

Alternatively you could change the SMB minimum protocol in the LibreELEC Settings addon.
This is not recommended, obviously.

Problem solved. I did not have SMB enabled on my Kodi box as I thought. I set min to v2 and max to v3 and confirmed user/pass. I can now browser directly from File Explorer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Thread marked solved.