Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TrueHD Atmos and HDR or Dolby Vision to TV/Soundbar without AVR or Nvidia Shield?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
New to Kodi and without technical background. But if there is a setup instruction for newbie or 3rd-party app to achieve the result of TrueHD/Atmos, HDR or DV without AVR or Shield, please point me to the right direction. 

When playing supported media content from pre-installed Netflix Android TV app, the setup displays HDR or Dolby Vision; the soundbar with Dolby Atmos Dolby Digital Plus.

But...
1) HDMI from NAS --> TV --> Soundbar.
With using Portal App, with or without Pass-Through, the TV doesn't have HDR nor DV; soundbar displays DD+.

2) HDMI from NAS --> Soundbar --> TV.
With using Portal App, with Pass-Through, the TV doesn't have HDR nor DV; soundbar displays LPCM 7.1. NAS is on heavy load and can't play video smoothly (Selected VAAPI hardware acceleration).

TV: Sony X850G (Android TV 8.0)
Soundbar: Sony HT-ST5000
Connection: Thru HDMI eARC ports between TV and soundbar; with HDMI cable with High Speed Internet.
Asustor ADM:3.4.5.RBJ3 
FFmpeg:3.3.2.r11 (r13 removes AC3, eAC3, trueHD, DTS codec playback support)
ASUSTOR Portal App: Kodi 18.0.0.R2
(Big thx to Patrick https://forum.asustor.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=10451)
Hi

Quick question about your setup, what are you expecting to decode your audio? I'm assuming software based eg: Kodi app on you android TV?
Through HDMI from NAS (Linux system), to output lossless audio with Atmos metadata and HDR/Dolby Vision video signals to TV/soundbar.

Asustor NAS AS5202T with 10bit 4K HEVC and VP9 10bit Profile2 hardware decoding; Sony HT-ST5000 with 96k/24bit PCM, DTS-HD MA, DTS:X, Dolby Atmos TrueHD... etc. So I was hoping to use Kodi on NAS to pass through audio directly to soundbar.

Trying different connections, directly to TV or soundbar, but TV didn't receive HDR/DV in either setup; Soundbar gets either DD+ or LPCM 7.1 respectively.

All audio formats in Kodi passthrough (expert mode) have been selected but the audio output device in Kodi Setup only shows "HDA Intel PCH", not the soundbar type (when connecting to AVR, it will show Brand_AVR).

So I wanna confirm if the Kodi in Linux system can send HDR/DV and TrueHD Atmos signals. Android App question is posted in Android section.
HDR / DV: No
TrueHD: Yes, since many years.
(2019-11-29, 08:26)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]HDR / DV: No
TrueHD: Yes, since many years.

Based on my setup, any suggestion which part I should change to achieve that? Only LPCM 7.1 on the soundbar information display. No TrueHD Atmos.
No Debug Log No chance to help.
Thx @fritsch for helping out.

1) NAS to TV to Soundbar
No sound when selecting pass-through. With deselecting pass-through, the soundbar information panel shows "LPCM 48kHz".

2) NAS to Soundbar to TV
No sound when selecting pass-through. With deselecting pass-through, the soundbar information panel shows "LPCM 7.1 48kHz".

Quote:DEBUG: CAESinkALSA - HDMI device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0" may be unconnected (no ELD data)
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=3" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=4" for playback

NOTICE: Enumerated ALSA devices:
NOTICE: Device 1
NOTICE: m_deviceName : @
NOTICE: m_displayName : Default (HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1)
NOTICE: m_displayNameExtra:
NOTICE: m_deviceType : AE_DEVTYPE_PCM
NOTICE: m_channels : FL, FR, LFE, FC, BC, BL, BR, BLOC, BROC
NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 48000
NOTICE: m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_S32NE
NOTICE: m_streamTypes : No passthrough capabilities
NOTICE: Device 2
NOTICE: m_deviceName : hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
NOTICE: m_displayName : HDA Intel PCH
NOTICE: m_displayNameExtra: HDMI
NOTICE: m_deviceType : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
NOTICE: m_channels : FL, FR
NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
NOTICE: m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_RAW
NOTICE: m_streamTypes : STREAM_TYPE_AC3,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_MA,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,STREAM_TYPE_EAC3,STREAM_TYPE_TRUEHD 
Is this unconnected HDMI device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0" affecting the audio output? I switched between two devices in Settings/System/Audio/"Audio Output Device" when playing the movie but the results are the same. Judging by its "m_channels", I assume Device 1 "Default (HDA Intel PCH HDMI 1)" is Sony HT-ST5000; Device 2 is Sony TV X850G with two channels. But 7.1.2 HT-ST5000 actually has 10 speakers, Device 1 shows only 9.​​​​​

This also raises the question in my earlier post in Android support, Android AudioTrack should reflect the TV audio channels and supported audio formats. But it somehow recognize the TV with multiple channels while in Linux, it shows only two FL and FR speakers.
Quote:NOTICE: Device 1
NOTICE: m_deviceName : AudioTrack
NOTICE: m_displayName : android
NOTICE: m_displayNameExtra: audiotrack
NOTICE: m_deviceType : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
NOTICE: m_channels : FL, FR, FC, LFE, SL, SR, BL, BR, BC, BLOC, BROC
NOTICE: m_sampleRates : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
NOTICE: m_dataFormats : AE_FMT_S16LE,AE_FMT_FLOAT,AE_FMT_RAW
NOTICE: m_streamTypes : STREAM_TYPE_AC3,STREAM_TYPE_EAC3,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_CORE,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_1024,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_2048,STREAM_TYPE_DTS_512,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD,STREAM_TYPE_DTSHD_MA 

Pardon for the laymen question and reasoning. "AudioTrack", "Public vs Private API", "Sony problem", "No HDR/DV", "TrueHD", "Pass-Through" are all new to me. Let alone "PDA Intel PCH"...Sad Spending couple days going over keyword search results to find information is a bit long process but I will try to find the similar posts/answers in the forum. Really appreciate Kodi team and users for taking the time to answer.
Any suggestion with the debug logs in previous post? Thx
Where to start ...

most soundbars are shitty and only implement a SPDIF interface as input. That means you will only get AC3, DTS and with a bit of luck E-AC3. All those passthrough codecs are "compressed", while they make 5.1 or 6.1 sound - they are in fact sent with 2 pcm channels only.

For your soundbar:

Quote:Sie können Objektaudioinhalte, wie
Dolby Atmos - Dolby TrueHD und DTS:X,
oder Mehrkanal-LPCM-Inhalte
genießen, die nicht mit ARC übertragen
werden können, indem Sie die Anlage
und ein mit eARC kompatibles
Fernsehgerät über ein HDMI-Kabel
verbinden.

^^ Does your TV offer an E-ARC device? Is it actually working? I only found the german manual: https://www.sony.de/electronics/support/...78385M.pdf

Make triple sure that you have connected your device either via E-ARC (if the TV is the player) or use other outputs. Optical won't work, ARC won't work for what you want.
And for Android:

AudioTrack is a Soundserver. You can easily shoot 7.1 Audio at it and it will downmix / do whatever it wants with it. That's the reason we see 7.1 there.
The PT Codecs are tested on Android when starting kodi. Only those that are available AND are opened succesfully are added to the list in kodi.

For your Linux, you might have connected it via ARC (not E-ARC) that will result in 2 channels only.
Thanks @fritsch for all the info/replies in both Linux and Android forums. 

TV: Sony X850G, 3 HDMI 2.0a and 1 eARC. 
Soundbar: Sony HT-ST5000, 3 HDMI and 1 eARC.
NAS: Asustor AS5202T, HDMI 2.0a
HDMI cables with 18 Gbps

Connections:
1) NAS (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) TV (eARC out) --> (eARC in) Soundbar
2) NAS (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Soundbar (eARC out) --> (eARC in) TV

According to Sony website of the ST5000, it supports the following audio formats
Quote:PCM: 96k/24 bit PCM
DTS: DTS-ES, DTS-HD High-ResoLution Audio™, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DTS 96/24, DTS:X™
DOLBY: Dolby Atmos®, Dolby® True HD, Dolby® Digital+, Dolby® Digital, Dolby® Dual Mono

I assumed Kodi (Linux) will at least recognize the soundbar in 2) connection setup; however, when I chose Audio Pass-Through for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, it still only shows LPCM on soundbar display panel. Are you suggesting to connect NAS (HDMI out) to TV or Soundbar (eARC in)? NAS doesn't have eARC HDMI. 

(I will post the Android part in android forum, thx)
If you still see LPCM when you choose TrueHD / DTS-HD in settings, you do something wrong.

Post the logfile from you choosing this.
1) NAS to TV to Soundbar
http://paste.kodi.tv/epobumabug

2) NAS to Soundbar to TV
http://paste.kodi.tv/ipiwubilej

Both connections: the speakers as 7.1, best match, pass through all.
Quote:DEBUG: CAESinkALSA - HDMI device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=0" may be unconnected (no ELD data)
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=2" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=3" for playback
INFO: CAESinkALSA - Unable to open device "hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=4" for playback
You run an ultra old kernel for this HW. But other than that the handshake does not work at all :-(
Thx for helping out a layman ^_^ Time to go back to Android~

(This Linux Kodi version was offered by a Asustor NAS forum user, not by Asus)
Pages: 1 2