Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Glad it worked, can it be something with different tagging formats? I do not know. Hope someone here could explain this.
(2021-10-10, 22:02)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-10-10, 21:58)Chasewood333 Wrote: [ -> ]All the tracks seem to be there, only with some wrong track numbers, some wrong track names and dispaying in the wrong order.
All that data comes from the embedded tags. File names and folder names are not used at all.
First step is to check your tags, and you should find they match what you are seeing in Kodi.
As you say, it was the tags.  The tags on the files I started with were messed up and I wasn't able to fix them.  I eventually bought another copy of the CD's and ripped that.  The tags from that rip still had problems but I was able to use Bliss to fix them.  The set now displays and plays correctly.
(2021-11-11, 20:15)Chasewood333 Wrote: [ -> ]I eventually bought another copy of the CD's and ripped that.
The tags are not in the CD's. The tags are added to the music files by the ripping software. But the tags added at this point are very basic.

You should then grab those ripped music files and run them through MusicBrainz Picard to add the full compliment of tags that Kodi uses.
Download from here... https://picard.musicbrainz.org/
Add settings as shown in Section 4.2 and 4.3 ... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Tagging
(2019-10-06, 00:59)garfield Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-10-05, 23:17)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Use Picard (or similar tagging software) to add disc titles to each disc
Please do not stuck to a song-per-file scheme. There could be dozens of reasons why one wants to keep his/her music collection by file+cue scheme. It is a very bad idea to ruine one's habbits. And, by the way, CD ripping/burning software like CUETools or EAC successfully read REM DISCSUBTITLE "" tag from the cuesheet. Maybe keep file+cue support as a foolproof method. Wink

(2019-10-05, 23:17)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Add 'boxset' to the Musicbrainz_album_type tag. Thats the one where it says 'album', compilation', 'single'
Even this feature could be achieved with cuesheets by REMing non-standard tag. But if it is impossible to achieve with the KODI's then maybe you will allow to combine the tags from the cuesheet file with the tags from the single album file into the KODI's music database.
(2019-10-05, 23:17)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi will still navigate to discs -> tracks if there is more than 1 disc in an album
Will it still show the discs' names or just Disc 1, Disc 2 and so on? Hope it will show their names.

By the way, there is a Singles node available by default in Music. Frankly when I saw this node for the first time I thought it could allow to separtate music albums from the music singles, but it collects the songs without the album title instead. Will it be possible to list music albums and music singles separately, keeping in mind that the music singles always have their own album title?

To all the developers and contributors - many thanks for making this feature possible! Your work is very much appreciated!

I have a quick question related to the first item in @garfield post above - is managing Box-sets feature works for single flac file + cue sheet structure? I have a lot of box-sets ripped in this way. Splitting each CD by individual tracks is a pain...

I have tried a few approaches (amending cue file by adding REM DISCSUBTITLE, setting 'boxset' to Musicbrainz_album_type tag or adding relevant DISCSUBTITLE tag to each single flac file), but so far had no luck. 

Could anyone please help?

Thanks!
No, sorry.  Boxsets are not supported via cuesheets, nor will they ever be. Splitting your FLAC files might be a pain but you will only have to do it once.  The cuesheet support we do have is legacy and I believe follows the original spec from ~2000 but there is absolutely no need to use them these days.  Kodi is perfectly capable of playing a gapless album for instance from individual tracks.
Hi @black_eagle,

Thank you for your prompt response, really appreciate your help! 

It is a pity that boxset feature is not supported for cuesheets, as I've thought that ripping CDs this way is still popular... 

Anyway, I want to tag everything correctly in my library, and therefore am keen to make a change. However, before I start splitting single FLACs, could someone please tell me what advantage I will get by going this way (i.e. splitting each CD's FLAC and attributing proper 'boxset'/'subtitle' flag) as opposed to adding REM DISCNUMBER to a each of the cuesheet files in a set?

For example, consider J.J. Cale boxset 'Collected':

https://musicbrainz.org/release/874ac5ef...e2412c54a6

Here, three 3CDs don't have individual names (subtitles), only CD1/CD2/CD3. In my case I have a boxset root folder with an album.nfo file (contains review, label, MB tags, etc.) and an album art (folder.jpg). I also have three subfolders (namely CD1, CD2 and CD3) each containing flac, cuesheet and discart. Each cuesheet contains relevant REM DISCNUMBER (i.e. 1,2,3).

If my understanding is correct, converting this structure into a boxset by splitting each of the three FLACs into individual tracks' FLACs and adding relevant DISCSUBTITLE to each track (something like 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2', 'Disc 3') will not change appearance from what I already have. Is this correct?

It would've been a different story if each of the CDs had individual names. Then, yes, it would've changed appearance nicely. 

Is there anything else that I am missing here?

Many thanks.
(2022-02-02, 07:52)Harbour Wrote: [ -> ]If my understanding is correct, converting this structure into a boxset by splitting each of the three FLACs into individual tracks' FLACs and adding relevant DISCSUBTITLE to each track (something like 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2', 'Disc 3') will not change appearance from what I already have. Is this correct?

If you add DISCSUBTITLE's to each track of a disc (Doesn't matter what you call them) and the album is not marked as a compilation, then Kodi should recognize it as a boxset when scanned in and flag it internally as such.  If for some reason that doesn't work you can set MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE to "boxset" (or to contain that value along with others) and Kodi will honour the tag and construct a boxset (even without disc subtitles, it'll internally create "Disc 1", "Disc 2" etc).  This should work even if the album is marked as a compilation.

HTH
(2022-02-02, 15:18)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-02-02, 07:52)Harbour Wrote: [ -> ]If my understanding is correct, converting this structure into a boxset by splitting each of the three FLACs into individual tracks' FLACs and adding relevant DISCSUBTITLE to each track (something like 'Disc 1', 'Disc 2', 'Disc 3') will not change appearance from what I already have. Is this correct?

If you add DISCSUBTITLE's to each track of a disc (Doesn't matter what you call them) and the album is not marked as a compilation, then Kodi should recognize it as a boxset when scanned in and flag it internally as such.  If for some reason that doesn't work you can set MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE to "boxset" (or to contain that value along with others) and Kodi will honour the tag and construct a boxset (even without disc subtitles, it'll internally create "Disc 1", "Disc 2" etc).  This should work even if the album is marked as a compilation.

HTH
In mp3tag, the only available tag, or rather the one that comes closest is "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE". Is that identical to "MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE" or is it possible to just add such tag manually?
(2022-07-11, 15:15)dertyp0815 Wrote: [ -> ]In mp3tag, the only available tag, or rather the one that comes closest is "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE". Is that identical to "MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE" or is it possible to just add such tag manually?
The internal names of tags vary with tag format e.g. for FLAC it is RELEASETYPE, ID3 v2.4 (mp3) TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE, and APE uses MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE

These various internal names where defined by Musicbrainz, and in Picard (regardless of format type) they get the display label "release type". In Mp3tag I think both the ID3 tags and APE tag get the display label MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE, but FLAC does not.

What Mp3tag is showing as MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE is the tag you want to set to "boxset". BlackEagle unfortunately made a typo in the post you quoted.

You don't say what format file you are tagging and you don't need this, but yes you can add tags manually using Mp3tag (or you could use Picard instead).
(2022-07-12, 10:51)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-07-11, 15:15)dertyp0815 Wrote: [ -> ]In mp3tag, the only available tag, or rather the one that comes closest is "MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE". Is that identical to "MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE" or is it possible to just add such tag manually?
The internal names of tags vary with tag format e.g. for FLAC it is RELEASETYPE, ID3 v2.4 (mp3) TXXX:MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE, and APE uses MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE

These various internal names where defined by Musicbrainz, and in Picard (regardless of format type) they get the display label "release type". In Mp3tag I think both the ID3 tags and APE tag get the display label MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE, but FLAC does not.

What Mp3tag is showing as MUSICBRAINZ_ALBUMTYPE is the tag you want to set to "boxset". BlackEagle unfortunately made a typo in the post you quoted.

You don't say what format file you are tagging and you don't need this, but yes you can add tags manually using Mp3tag (or you could use Picard instead).
Thanks much! In my case mostly m4a, but as discsubtitle was already set, seems the reason was just that "display as individual CDs" was not activated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24