Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Creating Custom Movie Sets Not Scraped from TMDb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if there is a way to create my own movie set without a TMDb ID and add movies to it from my TMM library? I tried creating one but never got past the TMDb ID box, and of course, there isn't a way to manually add movies that I could see. I was wanting to make a few different sets (playlists if you wish) such as Marvel Cinematic Universe and Tarantino Movies, Alien themed movies, etc.
A little bit off topic, but maybe of interest if you are using Kodi... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Movie_universe
@tabun where is the Problem? just go into the "movie set" tab, and press the leftmost button in the toolbar to add a new movie set. After then you can assign movies via the movie editor or the bulk editor to this set
(2019-12-06, 08:26)mlaggner Wrote: [ -> ]@tabun where is the Problem? just go into the "movie set" tab, and press the leftmost button in the toolbar to add a new movie set. After then you can assign movies via the movie editor or the bulk editor to this set
Yes, you CAN do it that way, but since you can only choose one Movie Set in the Movie/Bulk editor, you lose any previous Movie Set associations. For example:

I have all of the Alien movies. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection, etc. They are already part of the Alien Movie Set. Now if I wanted to create a custom Movie Set that contained all of the movies in my collection that contained aliens/ufo's/etc. then when editing the Alien movies, I would have to choose between the original Alien Movie Set and my newly created set.

Same goes with creating a Universe. All of the Iron Man movies are part of the Iron Man Movie Set. But if I created a Movie Set called MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and wanted to add all of the Iron Man movies plus Thor, Captain America, etc. I would run into the same problem.

I was wondering if there was a way to just add movies manually from the Movie Set screen (maybe have a + button) so a movie could be part of more than one Movie Set.

Kodi itself has some awkward work-arounds for doing this by removing all the movies for the set from your library, then renaming them all with the same naming convention and making a Movie Set that way but that is backwards and not convenient at all.
use tags for that...
this is not what movie sets are meant for
just sharing experience, playlists are better suited for your use case - https://kodi.wiki/view/Playlists

you will have to manage them from within kodi or a text editor though
I'll give TAGS and Playlists a look.

EDIT: Tags kind of works, but then the movies can't be sorted in chronological order. A Playlist would probably come the closest to what I want, but "Smart" Playlists in Kodi are anything but smart. More like tiresome. Can anyone recommend an add-on or utility that lets you make custom Kodi playlists from your existing Kodi library?
Tags can be sorted but this will depend on the skin you are using. At the same time, you can also tweak the premiered dates to get a chronological (or any order) using tags but utilizing playlists is way more efficient. 

I have been looking for and not found a utility to properly/intuitively manage playlists outside kodi - please let me know if you do
(2019-12-07, 11:37)anbessaw7 Wrote: [ -> ]Tags can be sorted but this will depend on the skin you are using. At the same time, you can also tweak the premiered dates to get a chronological (or any order) using tags but utilizing playlists is way more efficient. 

I have been looking for and not found a utility to properly/intuitively manage playlists outside kodi - please let me know if you do
And that's why I originally posted here, albeit I was asking the wrong question I guess. Manuel has worked wonders with TMM and I guess I just figured this would be an easy thing for him but I really have no idea about the complexity. I tried editing the sort title within a tag (i.e. MCU001, MCU002, etc) and that works fine, but the movies are then sorted like that everywhere in Kodi and I didn't want that. I'm going to have to switch from the Estuary skin I guess. Some others seem to offer more options for this.
(2019-12-12, 12:38)tabun Wrote: [ -> ]
(2019-12-07, 11:37)anbessaw7 Wrote: [ -> ]Tags can be sorted but this will depend on the skin you are using. At the same time, you can also tweak the premiered dates to get a chronological (or any order) using tags but utilizing playlists is way more efficient. 

And that's why I originally posted here, albeit I was asking the wrong question I guess. Manuel has worked wonders with TMM and I guess I just figured this would be an easy thing for him but I really have no idea about the complexity. I tried editing the sort title within a tag (i.e. MCU001, MCU002, etc) and that works fine, but the movies are then sorted like that everywhere in Kodi and I didn't want that. I'm going to have to switch from the Estuary skin I guess. Some others seem to offer more options for this.       
I actually made a request for a playlist manager module for TMM here ... and this was after not being able to find a solution. Anyway, I am not familiar with Estuary but I will explain how I use the sort titles/tags/playlists so you can atleast get your playlists working in Kodi for now.

Sort titles should be used for the global library. For instance, the Captain America collection sort titles would be Captain America 1, Captain America 2, Captain America 3. This way, if you pull up your entire library it will be correctly placed alphabetically (i.e. with all the other C movies) and also respect the order of the trilogy (Avenger>Winter>Civil). This applies to all movie collections with some exceptions (movies in a collection whose titles don't need sorting)

Tags you can create your own custom tags or use the ones you already scraped. For mcu, use "Marvel Cinematic Universe" https://www.themoviedb.org/keyword/18054...uage=en-US. In Kodi, create a smart playlist with the rule tags contains marvel cinematic universe, and order by year descending. This will give you a playlist with all 23 movies in release order.

- If you prefer the chronological/custom order - the quickest way would be to create a basic playlist from within the same smart list you just created above. Just start queuing items in chronological order, when you are done go to current playlist and save it. -OR- skip creating the smart playlist above and queue items straight from your library if that's easier for you.
- For Tarantino movies, instead of tags set the rule type based on directors when creating the smart playlist and browse for "Quentin Tarantino" 
- For Alien movies, they should already contain the alien tag in the metadata so just set the rule tags contains aliens

For the MCU specifically, If you decide to incorporate @Karellen suggestion into the scenario - you won't need the basic playlists, but you will need to adjust the local file names to get the chronological order.
This is something I've been fighting with for a while. 

I have nearly all of the classic Charlie Chan movies from the 30's - 80's.  TMDB breaks them into different collections based on who played the lead role.... it bothers me because: A) There is not a lot of good artwork out there for each collection and B) One of the collections is called the "Chanthology" which to me sounds like it should really be ALL of the movies. 

I would prefer to have one collection with all of the Chan movies, but it's tedious to build my own in Kodi, especially when I'm using TMM to bulk scrape my movies. One would think that there would be an easy way to collect movies into a custom collection. 

I ran into the same issue with the new Charlie's Angels movie - it is a direct offshoot of the first two movies, but for some reason, TMDB doesn't include it in the collection.