Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Clarification on updating to lastest without losing my library?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All my PCs are on various V17 versions right now and its about time to update before it gets too long in the tooth.

Do I just install Kodi over the old version like I'm installing like normal? I can't find anything mentioning if I need to do a library back up or if it survives the update process.
Kodi v17 and v18 use the same video database v116.
Yet making backups is always a good idea. Smile

You can install v18 over v17. The installer will confirm that when you use the installer version (not the MS store version afaik).
@Cyb3rst0rm

Yes, just updating over the top should be fine. But, like all major updates, you should make a backup just in case. Thankfully you are on Windows, so really, really simple to do.

If you installed Kodi by downloading the installer program from our website, then go to... C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming. Look for the Kodi folder and copy it so you end up with Kodi- Copy

If things go bad after the update, you still have a backup copy that you can just put back in place.
(2019-12-19, 00:33)Cyb3rst0rm Wrote: [ -> ]All my PCs are on various V17 versions right now and its about time to update before it gets too long in the tooth.

Do I just install Kodi over the old version like I'm installing like normal? I can't find anything mentioning if I need to do a library back up or if it survives the update process.

OK, this is what I had assumed but I wanted to verify as my library is extremely large and re-importing it is not fun. I will still make a backup of the userdata folder incase this somehow blows up in my face.

Also, are we implying that V19 will be using a different video library? I just want to know if I need to prepare myself mentally for the task of a manual reimport.
(2019-12-19, 00:40)Cyb3rst0rm Wrote: [ -> ]Also, are we implying that V19 will be using a different video library? I just want to know if I need to prepare myself mentally for the task of a manual reimport.
Yes, there is usually changes to the database schema between major upgrades... https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases#Database_Versions

For large libraries, we recommend exporting to Separate Files (nfo files) and that way you can preserve your library, watched status, play counts, last played etc... https://kodi.wiki/view/Import-export_library