Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Are shortcuts possible yet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Are shortcuts possible yet?    Yesterday, I installed a clean copy of everything (Kodi 18.5, Amber 3.3.26, Skin Shortcut 1.0.18) but it does not look like Amber has shortcut ability?
The best I could do was create submenu items, but you have to click left (when using vertical mode) in order for them to show up.  That's not intuitive.
Am I missing something?
(2019-12-31, 10:01)James35 Wrote: [ -> ]Are shortcuts possible yet?    Yesterday, I installed a clean copy of everything (Kodi 18.5, Amber 3.3.26, Skin Shortcut 1.0.18) but it does not look like Amber has shortcut ability?
The best I could do was create submenu items, but you have to click left (when using vertical mode) in order for them to show up.  That's not intuitive.
Am I missing something?

@James35, it looks like you installed the Matrix version of Amber on a Leía version of Kodi. The Kodi Leía repo version of Amber is 3.2.23. And yes, it has full skin shortcuts support.

Using the vertical menu, you do press left to get to the submenu. I am sorry you do not find that intuitive. I have no plans to change the navigation of the menus/sub menus.

In any case, please install the Leía version of Amber from the Kodi repo. If you want the latest features, you can also install Amber from the Amber repo (http://github.con/bartolomesoriano/repo.amber). The Amber repo has version 3.2.31 for Leía.

Regards,

Bart
Wait, are you thinking shortcuts in the submenu?  Because ideally this is where the shortcuts should go.  I see no way of doing this.
(2019-12-31, 13:59)James35 Wrote: [ -> ]Wait, are you thinking shortcuts in the submenu?  Because ideally this is where the shortcuts should go.  I see no way of doing this.

@James35, it seems to me that you are talking about widgets, like having posters of recently added movies and such. If that is the case, in Amber they are called shelves, and you can configure up to 6 for each menu item. They are either displayed one at a time (you press up to move between them) or the first two can be displayed together. Amber offers a wide range of default shelves, plus shelves from Embuary Helper and Themoviedb Helper. You can also choose shelves from any addon that provides widgets and many other types.

Please look in Settings, Skin Settings, Home Layout and choose Customize Home Menu and Shelves. In the management dialog that appears you will see on the right that you can configure shelves for each menu item. You should see something like Shelf 1. Click there and you can configure the first shelf. Once you have one configured, you can configure the next one (you need to have Shelf 1 in order to have Shelf 2 and so on). Since it seems like you already know how to use skinshortcuts, it should be familiar to you. Please let me know if run into any issues. Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Thank you so much for your responses and efforts into this skin. I do appreciate it!

Here is a screenshot of my setup. It's a recently unsupported skin, Titan Media Browser. The left side is the menu and the right side is the submenu. In older Titan updates, you could have about 15 shortcuts on the page before needing to scroll. That generally did the trick and made it simple for family members to use. You would highlight the menu choice, then click right to access the shortcuts (which could be anything). No training needed, nothing hidden, simple and intuitive. Recently, the unsupported Titan Media Browser skin is now failing to work so I'm looking for replacements and I found Amber was the closest. It's really surprising how few skins offer vertical menus.

(2020-01-01, 00:53)James35 Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you so much for your responses and efforts into this skin. I do appreciate it!

Here is a screenshot of my setup. It's a recently unsupported skin, Titan Media Browser. The left side is the menu and the right side is the submenu. In older Titan updates, you could have about 15 shortcuts on the page before needing to scroll. That generally did the trick and made it simple for family members to use. You would highlight the menu choice, then click right to access the shortcuts (which could be anything). No training needed, nothing hidden, simple and intuitive. Recently, the unsupported Titan Media Browser skin is now failing to work so I'm looking for replacements and I found Amber was the closest. It's really surprising how few skins offer vertical menus.

@James35,

Thank you for the screenshot. Unfortunately, this is not something Amber provides, and to do so would be to have a whole new menu system. Have you tried Arctic Zephyr 2? My apologies for not being able to provide you with a better answer.

Regards,

Bart