Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: AutoHDR for Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is a small utility that aims to create an automatic process to use HDR with Jogal's (Thexai) fork of Kodi. 

Auto HDR for Kodi on Windows 10 OS

This code was only possible by the help of DMU who provided the first draft and Thexai (Jogal) who fixed it's crashes.

INSTRUCTIONS:
!! This should be used ONLY with Thexai (Jogal's fork at the moment !! You can get it here: 
https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases
  • Be sure that Windows HDR is OFF.
  • If you Windows HDR settings is OFF, keep it off.
  • Download AUTOHDR.exe from the release section. HERE: https://github.com/fandangos/AutoHDR/releases
  • Add the file to your Kodi installation folder.
  • Do NOT start Kodi.exe, start AUTOHDR.exe and it will launch Kodi for you.

FAQ:
1. What does this do? 
This will turn HDR on before openning Kodi and turning it off when Kodi closes. 

2. Why I need this? 
You don't.
You can enable HDR from within Kodi (thanks to Jogal's work), just go into the upper left corner and turn HDR on from there. 
or 
You can enable HDR within Windows 10 display settings and open kodi and when you are done you can go into display settings again and turn it off. 

3. How do I know it's working?
R: Open power settings on upper left corner and check if it says "Toggle HDR OFF". If it says to turn it OFF means it is ON.

4. I have started Kodi using AUTOHDR.bat but the KODI Graphic User Interface is not in HDR, why?
R: The user interface is not rendered in HDR, when you start a video file that has HDR metadata and your display is HDR capable it will switch your TV to HDR mode.

5. What about movies that are not HDR?
R: Movies that are not HDR, meaning that those do not have HDR metadata will be rendered in SDR as normal.

Source code: 
https://github.com/fandangos/AutoHDR

Release:
https://github.com/fandangos/AutoHDR/releases

Enjoy
thanks now x do a god job you should implement the 4k bluray menu the hdr with your work it doesn't work for me, thanks again
(2020-01-07, 17:25)nino33 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks now x do a god job you should implement the 4k bluray menu the hdr with your work it doesn't work for me, thanks again

Libbluray 1.1.2 (that supports UHD BD) was added yesterday to main Kodi. 
We can wait Jogal to update it's build or you can use the main Kodi nightly (this last alternative will not have HDR).
thanks again your work is excellent
Made a much simpler version with just one file, no batch script required. 

Just download AUTOHDR.exe place along with Kodi and start Kodi from it.
Enjoy Smile
I wonder whether this could be done as a binary add-on to be added to the official add-ons repository.
(2020-01-09, 12:09)ashlar Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder whether this could be done as a binary add-on to be added to the official add-ons repository.

This would be really cool but it would require some knowledge on python, correct?

I have no experience with python and it would be better if I help someone that actually does instead of doing it myself.
(2020-01-09, 12:35)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-09, 12:09)ashlar Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder whether this could be done as a binary add-on to be added to the official add-ons repository.

This would be really cool but it would require some knowledge on python, correct?

I have no experience with python and it would be better if I help someone that actually does instead of doing it myself. 
I honestly have no idea. I suspect there would be very little python involved in this case, as the add-on would "simply" need to copy a file into the installation directory.
If you are in contact with Team Kodi, try asking them.
I am not getting this to work, i am probably doing something wrong cus i am a n00b when it comes to this. First time trying to setup hdr. 

I downloaded those files, installed thew hdr kodi in a different folder, and out that autohdr.exe in kodi hdr folder and started it. It started the hdr, the tv notified that, but the hdr is not working when I play a hdr video. Looks like normal when you play hdr on sdr settings. And the hdr in windows is OFF when I start everything, but still ON when I close kodi.. any ideas?

-Rob
(2020-01-24, 17:12)icehawk77 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not getting this to work, i am probably doing something wrong cus i am a n00b when it comes to this. First time trying to setup hdr. 

I downloaded those files, installed thew hdr kodi in a different folder, and out that autohdr.exe in kodi hdr folder and started it. It started the hdr, the tv notified that, but the hdr is not working when I play a hdr video. Looks like normal when you play hdr on sdr settings. And the hdr in windows is OFF when I start everything, but still ON when I close kodi.. any ideas?

-Rob

Rob, this is not obsolete. 

You should use Jogal's fork and enable HDR as instructed in his screenshots. 
Or if you have an Nvidia or AMD dedicated GPU you can give a try on my fork. 

I would recommend sticking to Jogal's fork for now.
(2020-01-24, 17:44)fandangos Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-24, 17:12)icehawk77 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not getting this to work, i am probably doing something wrong cus i am a n00b when it comes to this. First time trying to setup hdr. 

-Rob

Rob, this is not obsolete. 

You should use Jogal's fork and enable HDR as instructed in his screenshots. 
Or if you have an Nvidia or AMD dedicated GPU you can give a try on my fork. 

I would recommend sticking to Jogal's fork for now. 

Maybe it wont work if I have both regular Kodi 18.4 and this forked 19.0 version installed at the same time?
I'll try uninstall both and make a clean install from the forked from Jogal. 
I do have a dedicated GPU, bought the Geforce 1050 Ti only to be able to use 4k60 / HDR.. Smile
@fandangos Hey bud, this is a really cool program. I have a few off topic questions and want to PM you instead of ruining your thread. Can you please check your messages? Thank you, for your work and your time. You rock, man!