Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Artist information folder can't be selected in settings page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, for some reason I am unable to browse to the SBM file share that will be hosting the Artist information folder. This share is located on a Synology NAS.

When browsing for the location of the Artist information folder the share/NAS is not available.

Which is very strange, as that same share is successfully used to path substitute Kodi's sources.xml etc from default to that NAS location. As I have multiple devices operating from the same NAS folder for certain files and from the same NAS to access the centralised Mysql Database.

Selecting to create a new smb location does not work either as it will not show/load this particular NAS.

Any idea how to fix this? Any quick fix by adding the Artist information folder path directly in a config file or database location?

ps. I purposely did not yet add a log as its not an error as such.
Quick and dirty workaround if you know the exact smb path.

Shut down Kodi.  Navigate to your userdata directory and open the guisettings.xml file in there with a text editor.

Find the line that starts <setting id="musiclibrary.artistsfolder">.  Type in your path between the two >your/smb/path/goes/here<

Save the file (ensuring you do not add .txt or anything at the end of the filename, it must be guisettings.xml).  Restart Kodi.  Path should be set for you now.
If you don't want to mess around editing files then adding share as a source in the internal Kodi File Manager should make it available for selection anywhere you're given the Browse for folder dialog box.
(2020-01-08, 16:48)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Quick and dirty workaround if you know the exact smb path.

Shut down Kodi.  Navigate to your userdata directory and open the guisettings.xml file in there with a text editor.

Find the line that starts <setting id="musiclibrary.artistsfolder">.  Type in your path between the two >your/smb/path/goes/here<

Save the file (ensuring you do not add .txt or anything at the end of the filename, it must be guisettings.xml).  Restart Kodi.  Path should be set for you now.

Thanks @black_eagle and @jjd-uk  for the quick response,

I love this dirty workaround :-) Thanks will try.

Do I include the username:password@ in this url as well? Or will this be retrieved from the password/xml file?

@jjd-uk Yes, I have already set this up using the sources.xml and password.xml files, however even though I can see the share and use it in the file manager, it is not shown in the Artist information folder selection browse window. So thats why its so strange. I have seen this behaviour before related to Cinemavision content folder setting browse window.
(2020-01-08, 17:20)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I have already set this up using the sources.xml and password.xml files, however even though I can see the share and use it in the file manager, it is not shown in the Artist information folder selection browse window. So thats why its so strange. I have seen this behaviour before related to Cinemavision content folder setting browse window.

Did you actually use the Kodi GUI to add it within File Manager? or did you edit the xml files directly? as if you used the GUI I would not have expected that.
(2020-01-08, 17:24)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-08, 17:20)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, I have already set this up using the sources.xml and password.xml files, however even though I can see the share and use it in the file manager, it is not shown in the Artist information folder selection browse window. So thats why its so strange. I have seen this behaviour before related to Cinemavision content folder setting browse window.

Did you actually use the Kodi GUI to add it within File Manager? or did you edit the xml files directly? as if you used the GUI I would not have expected that.  

Hi,

I added it right in the sources.xml file like this:

<files>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
        <source>
            <name>KODI</name>
            <path pathversion="1">smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/KODI/</path>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
</files>

And in passwords:

<path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/KODI</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://USERTongue[email protected]/KODI/</to>
    </path>

This allowed the share to be shown in the file manager without the need to manually add it in the file manager.
(2020-01-08, 17:20)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Do I include the username:password@ in this url as well? Or will this be retrieved from the password/xml file?

No idea !!  My shares are all nfs.  Guess you will just have to try it both ways and see which one works.
(2020-01-08, 17:36)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-08, 17:20)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]Do I include the username:password@ in this url as well? Or will this be retrieved from the password/xml file?

No idea !!  My shares are all nfs.  Guess you will just have to try it both ways and see which one works. 

yes, I will try both ways. I guess an error will show in the log if it is not in the correct syntax.
(2020-01-08, 17:32)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]This allowed the share to be shown in the file manager without the need to manually add it in the file manager.

This is most likely why you don't see it anywhere else the Browse for folder dialog box is used outside of File Manager.
(2020-01-08, 17:41)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-08, 17:32)gotham2014 Wrote: [ -> ]This allowed the share to be shown in the file manager without the need to manually add it in the file manager.

This is most likely why you don't see it anywhere else the Browse for folder dialog box is used outside of File Manager. 

@jjd-uk I will have a look later to see what happens if I also add it through the file manager. However, is path substitution for sources.xml not created for the purpose to have only 1 location for all your Kodi devices to retrieve the same source locations? How would I need to setup this to work centralised without the need to manually have to add this particular NAS share in the file manager of each Kodi device?
If you are using MySQL/MariaDB then you only need a sources.xml file on the machine that actually does the scraping and adding to the databases.  You only need to replicate it on other machines if you want/need to be able to do that with them.  I only have my sources set up on one machine.  It does all the library maintenance.  The others are just pointed to the databases by advancedsettings.xml.  The databases hold all the full network paths for everything so all the machines can access everything with just one of them doing the maintenance.
(2020-01-08, 17:53)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]If you are using MySQL/MariaDB then you only need a sources.xml file on the machine that actually does the scraping and adding to the databases.  You only need to replicate it on other machines if you want/need to be able to do that with them.  I only have my sources set up on one machine.  It does all the library maintenance.  The others are just pointed to the databases by advancedsettings.xml.  The databases hold all the full network paths for everything so all the machines can access everything with just one of them doing the maintenance.

ah ok,

However, what would happen when you perform an update library on a Kodi device that is not setup to do this? Would this corrupt the mysql database?

And What happens if you have multiple Kodi devices that you have setup to be able to do updates of the library? Will this corrupt the Mysql database?

I am asking this as I have noticed issues with posters not being loaded correctly after a while on the KODI iPad app and wonder if this could be related to it. It happens often on the iPad app and less on the Kodi device itself.
Dunno, never tried.

As I say, I have one machine in my living room (which is the main Kodi rig) that has all the sources set up on it and does all the library maintenance for video and music.  None of the other clients have ever had any sources set up on them and I've never attempted to update anything using one of them.  They do however, all play everything correctly and have access to all the art etc.  I set this up originally in 2013 and although I have progressed through MySQL to Mariadb and upgraded OS's and added new kit, the whole thing has worked surprisingly well over the years.  There are now 'boxes' (of various flavours) running Kodi in all the bedrooms as well as the kitchen and the living room and I have little to no issues with any of them.

All the actual media (including the Artist Information Folder) is held on two self built file servers and everything (apart from PVR) is served over nfs.  PVR (I know it's off-topic!) is served from a different machine running TVHeadend to give Live TV in every room.
(2020-01-08, 18:16)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Dunno, never tried.

As I say, I have one machine in my living room (which is the main Kodi rig) that has all the sources set up on it and does all the library maintenance for video and music.  None of the other clients have ever had any sources set up on them and I've never attempted to update anything using one of them.  They do however, all play everything correctly and have access to all the art etc.  I set this up originally in 2013 and although I have progressed through MySQL to Mariadb and upgraded OS's and added new kit, the whole thing has worked surprisingly well over the years.  There are now 'boxes' (of various flavours) running Kodi in all the bedrooms as well as the kitchen and the living room and I have little to no issues with any of them.

All the actual media (including the Artist Information Folder) is held on two self built file servers and everything (apart from PVR) is served over nfs.  PVR (I know it's off-topic!) is served from a different machine running TVHeadend to give Live TV in every room.

Nice setup, looks similar to my own except for smb instead of nfs. :-)

Maybe @jjd-uk can enlighten us more on the issues when using multiple Kodi devices to update the libraries?
As long as there's a sources.xml, the instance is able to update the library!
If there's no sources.xml, updating the library will "delete" it! So beware :-)
Pages: 1 2