Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 18.5 on Android TV, no 4K?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but recently bought a Philips 65OLED854 running Android and downloaded Kodi (v. 18.5) from Google Play on my TV.
When I go into settings in Kodi it seems locked to 1920x1080 without any options to change the resolution, I am wondering how I am able to get it to output Kodi in 4K?
The build reported by Kodi is "Kodi 18.5 Git:20191116-37f51f6e63" running on Android 9.0.0 API level 28 (kernel: Linux 4.9.125).

Thank you very much for your assistance - TheSwede86
(2020-01-13, 01:29)TheSwede86 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but recently bought a Philips 65OLED854 running Android and downloaded Kodi (v. 18.5) from Google Play on my TV.
When I go into settings in Kodi it seems locked to 1920x1080 without any options to change the resolution, I am wondering how I am able to get it to output Kodi in 4K?
The build reported by Kodi is "Kodi 18.5 Git:20191116-37f51f6e63" running on Android 9.0.0 API level 28 (kernel: Linux 4.9.125).

Your tv only supports a 1080p frame-buffer, that's what Kodi uses.
Check if you can enable all the 4K and 1080p resolutions in Kodi's System-Display-Whitelist then videos will switch to 4K resolution when they start playing.
If you only have one option here then your tv manufacturer, Phillips didn't implement the Android Mode Setting API that was released since Android Nougat and you have to contact them for a firmware update to fix the issues. AndroidTV on actual tv's have broken firmware most of the time, that's why people use external Android media players and only buy tv's for picture quality, not for their OS features.
(2020-01-13, 05:14)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]

Check if you can enable all the 4K and 1080p resolutions in Kodi's System-Display-Whitelist then videos will switch to 4K resolution when they start playing.
If you only have one option here then your tv manufacturer, Phillips didn't implement the Android Mode Setting API that was released since Android Nougat and you have to contact them for a firmware update to fix the issues. AndroidTV on actual tv's have broken firmware most of the time, that's why people use external Android media players and only buy tv's for picture quality, not for their OS features. 

Thank you very much for your reply.
I checked trying to play a 4K video and I can see that the TV toggles to "HDR" but it doesn't seem to change the resolution.
I just recently bought this TV but earlier when I had other TVConfused I could see that it would toggle to like "1920x1080(at)24fps" when playing a video in Kodi, is there a way in Kodi to view the resolution currently output:ed by the video I'm playing?
I know that the video is 2160p but I want to see if I actually get 2160p when I play it on my TV.
(2020-01-13, 19:57)TheSwede86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-13, 05:14)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]

Thank you very much for your reply.
I checked trying to play a 4K video and I can see that the TV toggles to "HDR" but it doesn't seem to change the resolution.
I just recently bought this TV but earlier when I had other TVConfused I could see that it would toggle to like "1920x1080(at)24fps" when playing a video in Kodi, is there a way in Kodi to view the resolution currently output:ed by the video I'm playing?
I know that the video is 2160p but I want to see if I actually get 2160p when I play it on my TV. 

Try Ctrl-Shift-O with a keyboard otherwise you can only use your tv's Info button.
(2020-01-14, 06:05)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]Try Ctrl-Shift-O with a keyboard otherwise you can only use your tv's Info button.

Thanks, I tried with CTRL-Shift-O but that only provides other info about the videostream such as bandwidth etc. Undecided
Man, who cares for the numbers. Calibrate your tv and then use your eyes. Does the picture look good then all is fine. If not search for other possibilities
Press O on your keyboard, without CTRL-shift.  That will show you what Kodi is outputting to the tv.
Same TV Same issue

O on keyboard shows the TV is downscaling all output to 1080/60

Cannot change framerate or resolution

Bit of a PITA on a £2k unit
Hi, I have a sony af8 android tv. By pressing O what information am I getting? I mean it displays what actually the Kodi player sends to the tv or just shows information about the video? I hope you understand what I am asking 😁
The same issue here, on the very same type of model. Really happy about the TV itself, but this is really annoying.
I've posted an inquery to Philips. Not having my hopes up for a positive response, but here's hoping.
(2020-02-08, 17:26)Bodster Wrote: [ -> ]The same issue here, on the very same type of model. Really happy about the TV itself, but this is really annoying.
I've posted an inquery to Philips. Not having my hopes up for a positive response, but here's hoping.

Finally a reply... and it's not good. Not a direct reply to the query of upcoming support for Android Mode Setting API to enable apps to give 4K-support, but can't keep my hope up on this:

"To have the availability to stream the apps in 4K the have to compatible for it. If the apps is not available to provide 4K, it will not be possible to have that resolution. 

Yes the TV is and Android operating system based, but it has limited functionality compared to the original operating system from Android. "
(2020-01-13, 05:14)mo123 Wrote: [ -> ]Your tv only supports a 1080p frame-buffer, that's what Kodi uses.

Sorry for a very late update, some personal matters came in the way.
Anyway I think I can verify it works?
Even though Settings > System > Display lists "Resolution" locked at "1920x1080p" when I try and play a movie that is 2160p I can see it reports as "3840x2160" under "Video Steam" when pressing the letter "O" during playback and it also toggles HDR.

The question as a previous user also asked is:
Is that the actual resolution on my TV (i.e. my TV is outputting 4K) or is the videostream 4K but the TV outputs 1080p (and therefore downscale it) as stated in Settings > System > Display?

Also I tried checking the Android API to find what you mentioned ("Android Mode Setting") but couldn't find it, can you please elaborate if I am going to pester Philips about it?
(2020-03-10, 17:46)Bodster Wrote: [ -> ]Finally a reply... and it's not good. Not a direct reply to the query of upcoming support for Android Mode Setting API to enable apps to give 4K-support, but can't keep my hope up on this:

"To have the availability to stream the apps in 4K the have to compatible for it. If the apps is not available to provide 4K, it will not be possible to have that resolution. 

Yes the TV is and Android operating system based, but it has limited functionality compared to the original operating system from Android. " 

Great work and thanks for sharing, I'll try and contact Philips after I know what to contact them about and see what results I get  Nod
The keyboard 'o' in video mode playing a video will indeed show what Kodi is throwing out, and if all you have is 1080p hardware, the TV will do the down scaling. In the case of the Philips TV it's quite likely their is not enough graphic muscle to handle 4K UHD  Suggest: this and this!
(2020-04-06, 05:39)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]The keyboard 'o' in video mode playing a video will indeed show what Kodi is throwing out, and if all you have is 1080p hardware, the TV will do the down scaling. In the case of the Philips TV it's quite likely their is not enough graphic muscle to handle 4K UHD  Suggest: this and this!

Thanks for your reply Pat, so if I see "3840x2160" there (and also the TV shows the "HDR+"-notification when playing the video) I should be good then, nice  Smile

Can you possibly answer what "mo123" wrote regarding this?
"If you only have one option here then your tv manufacturer, Phillips didn't implement the Android Mode Setting API that was released since Android Nougat and you have to contact them for a firmware update to fix the issues. "

I am just wondering if "Android Mode Setting" is something that the Philips Andriod Devs should recognize, I tried looking into the API reference for Android 7.0 but couldn't find anything that was similar to that.
Want to prod Philips to implement it  Nerd
(2020-04-06, 10:51)TheSwede86 Wrote: [ -> ]a firmware update to fix the issues
Not a software patch, this would be new hardware e.g. new TV. Kodi on start interrogates the hardware using handshaking to the display edid Creating and using edid.bin via xorg.conf (wiki) and let's Kodi know the capabilities (this can be seen in the debug user log) at which point you can whitelist resolutions you want to use, but even if it's listed as an available resolution, it comes down to driver implementation, and graphic supporting hardware which might not be able to handle it, pointing to those links in lucky post #13
Pages: 1 2 3