Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Mapping some remote control buttons impossible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have MSI Wind Box with a new installation of Ubuntu 18.04 & Leia loaded. My remote control (Targa - came with a Lidl PC some years ago) buttons only work for basic navigation (up, down,  left,  right  & OK) and Back.
I used to have Libreelec on that m/c and the remote control worked fine for navigation, Back, Info, Context menu and all playback buttons - all the essential ones.
I switched to my current setup so that with Ubuntu running thru' a VPN, Kodi would/should be 'pairable'.
On scouring various forums I installed the key file editor/remap program add-on and managed to remap the Back and Pause/Play button OK. However,  when trying the Fast Forward, Fast Back and step fed, back I get a symbol come up on TV 'circle with diagonal line's - each time - I assume this means 'not possible'. Is there any advice  - please?
That symbol appearing would imply that the TV isn't passing the signal from that button on via the HDMI.

Simple way to confirm is to enable debug logging and review your debug log (wiki). With logging enabled then any keypress is logged, so do that, push the buttons a few times and see if they show up in the log. If not then the TV isn't passing them, and there's nothing you can do (unless there's something on your TV set-up to allow it).
(2020-01-14, 22:26)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]That symbol appearing would imply that the TV isn't passing the signal from that button on via the HDMI.

Simple way to confirm is to enable debug logging and review your debug log (wiki). With logging enabled then any keypress is logged, so do that, push the buttons a few times and see if they show up in the log. If not then the TV isn't passing them, and there's nothing you can do (unless there's something on your TV set-up to allow it).
Not sure I fully understand. There is an ir receiver for the Targa remote plugged into a USB port in the Wind Box, so the hdmi is only carrying audio & video.
Ah sorry, was assuming control was via CEC (wiki).

The second part is still true though - to confirm what Kodi is seeing, do the debug log (wiki) check. That will tell you whether there's a mapping issue within Kodi, or if it's something in the IR set-up that needs tweaking.
(2020-01-14, 23:22)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Ah sorry, was assuming control was via CEC (wiki).

The second part is still true though - to confirm what Kodi is seeing, do the debug log (wiki) check. That will tell you whether there's a mapping issue within Kodi, or if it's something in the IR set-up that needs tweaking.

Many thanks,  I'll have a go tomorrow  - I'm very new to linux so trial & error!
(2020-01-15, 00:05)hjgtiger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-14, 23:22)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Ah sorry, was assuming control was via CEC (wiki).

Many thanks,  I'll have a go tomorrow  - I'm very new to linux so trial & error! 

The buttons that bring up the 'circle/' symbol do not seem to appear in the log file. I can see mouse clicks, but not sure what to look for on the remote control buttons.
If they don't appear in the log then they are not being passed to Kodi and so it is not seeing them.

So you need to look into the set-up and configuration of the IR receiver and the drivers for it. There's nothing you can do within Kodi as the keypresses aren't getting to it.
(2020-01-15, 21:38)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]If they don't appear in the log then they are not being passed to Kodi and so it is not seeing them.

So you need to look into the set-up and configuration of the IR receiver and the drivers for it. There's nothing you can do within Kodi as the keypresses aren't getting to it.

The confusing thing is that the remote control worked properly when I had Kodi/Libreelec or Openelec. From what I read the operation of remote controls in Ubuntu 18.04 is a well known problem. I may try a different flavour of Linux - if there is one that handles ir rc's well.
I would expect it to be different drivers or something like that.

It may be worth asking on the LibreElec forums as they may be able to give you guidance on the drivers that work.
(2020-01-15, 22:02)hjgtiger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-15, 21:38)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]If they don't appear in the log then they are not being passed to Kodi and so it is not seeing them.

The confusing thing is that the remote control worked properly when I had Kodi/Libreelec or Openelec. From what I read the operation of remote controls in Ubuntu 18.04 is a well known problem. I may try a different flavour of Linux - if there is one that handles ir rc's well. 
Tried Ubuntu 16.04 - which was supposedly  OK with ir remotes but same problem as 18.04!
I don't want to revert to Libreelec or Openelec (even though they are quick), as there is no way to 'pair' from within them.
What do you mean "pair"?
(2020-01-17, 20:29)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean "pair"?

Some sources of media require pairing - eg 'olpair.com' which means using a browser to access their site to pair your m/c with them. But the browser must be from the same IP address.  Libreelec etc do not have browsers.
Those sources of media violate our piracy policy (wiki) and access to them is against our forum rules (wiki) and unsupported here.
I've got 18.04 and it handles my remotes perfectly with LIRC.  In fact, I have an option of 3 different remotes that I can pick up and use to control Kodi. Finding in dmesg where your ir receiver is identified would be a good starting point.

Look for something similar to
xml:
[43197.321984] usb 6-2: Product: eHome Infrared Transceiver
[43197.321989] usb 6-2: Manufacturer: Formosa21 [43197.321993] usb 6-2: SerialNumber: FM000623
[43197.334953] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce [43197.335183] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (147a:e016) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb6/6-2/6-2:1.0/rc/rc1/input13
[43197.335462] rc1: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (147a:e016) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb6/6-2/6-2:1.0/rc/rc1
[43197.335906] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input14
[43197.336550] rc rc1: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered at minor = 0
[43197.509161] mceusb 6-2:1.0: Registered Formosa21 eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[43197.509175] mceusb 6-2:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)

Reboot PC /unplug - plug in receiver and then either go through dmesg by hand dmesg|less or try and find it with grep   dmesg|grep -C5 "IR"
(2020-01-17, 21:08)hjgtiger Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-17, 20:29)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean "pair"?

Some sources of media require pairing - eg 'olpair.com' which means using a browser to access their site to pair your m/c with them. But the browser must be from the same IP address.  Libreelec etc do not have browsers. 
It's only a problem when using a VPN
Pages: 1 2