Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues with local media library(very large) and Kodi resetting all settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This has been happening for a few weeks now it seems. Every week or so my Kodi and infuse reset because it says it ran out of memory even though I have a 64 gig appletv 4k. 
It also resets my infuse with my library on that too. 
I checked the Kodi file size and its 14.5 gigs for the app and data for my library im assuming which is a bit much. 
I don't really need my library on Kodi its just nice but id rather have a stable app and not have to reset everything and reload all my settings all the time. 
Is there a way to delete my library from Kodi without deleting them from my smb shared hard drives? I have a Nvidia Shield as the Plex server/file sharing device with my appletv collecting the data from that share.
The removal of app data is done by the os on tvos. App devs have no control, or notification, that this is done. This isn't new to tvos, and is clearly defined in the tvos Dev docs by Apple. This affects all apps the same.

How app devs are meant to handle it is to store data on iCloud accounts. The problem here is that free iCloud accounts are maxed at 5gb. You said yourself that your appdata is 14.5gb just for Kodi. The iCloud storage is shared between everything (cloud docs, app data for every device logged into the account).

Realistically if you have large DBs for tvos, you really need to look at using an external db (MySQL, mariadb) for the database.

As for settings, and everything else non db, you need to backup using either the backup add-on by robweber or backup the container via Xcode.

Kodi will store and retain all XML file data, but the actual plugin data will be removed when tvos does it's thing, so you will need to reinstall the plugin either via the backups or manually every time.
(2020-01-17, 11:32)elijahscott82 Wrote: [ -> ]I checked the Kodi file size and its 14.5 gigs for the app and data for my library im assuming which is a bit much. 

The database will not the big problem: With an 'mediocre' media collection, my MySQL database (video and music) is just over 300 MB while my cache folder is 2.4GB. A database only holds data, which is usually pretty small compared to any fanart and wallpaper files. I'm guessing not all thumbs have been cached yet.

Your 14.5 GB is more than likely coming from longlasting Thumbnail cache folder. You could either try to use the Milhouse TextureCache tool to reduce the cache, or simply delete the whole folder as well as delete the userdata/Database/Textures13.db file, and start building Kodi's cache gradually again.
TvOS is not meant to be used with local data in general. Apple allows us developers to persist not more then 500kb (yes kilobytes) of data. We use this small persistent storage for the xml (settings) files. That’s all we can do about it. That’s the problem with a device which is Mainly designed to stream(!!) media.