Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Menu customization, secondary library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not entirely sure if this is a generic issue or related to the skin, but since I'm using Amber I'll post here first. One thing I am not entirely clear on is how customizing main menu elements work. Maybe there's a better way to solve this?

I have two libraries, both are for movies. I love South Korean movies, so I have split that off into another library. My thought was to use the standard Movies-menu for one source, and change another menu for the other. The main Movies-menu works as intended, meaning when I enter it, it goes straight to the list of movies, which I've setup with viewtype icons.

For the second one, I've renamed Videos and gone to Change Type -> Video Library -> Sources -> selected the second movie library -> Create Menu Item Here -> Movies. Now, when entering the second menu element, instead of going straight to the list of movies, it takes me to a list of libraries first. Then I have to select the second movie library, and then it takes me to the movie list.

I've tried several variants of the "Change Action" options when customizing the menus with different results, but have not found one that has the intended effect.
@Parallax911

As per your report: You are a newcomer on this forum, and certain anti-spam features are currently active, one of which is the lack of the edit button. These 'features' will quickly disappear over time.
(2020-02-02, 16:19)Parallax911 Wrote: [ -> ]Not entirely sure if this is a generic issue or related to the skin, but since I'm using Amber I'll post here first. One thing I am not entirely clear on is how customizing main menu elements work. Maybe there's a better way to solve this?

I have two libraries, both are for movies. I love South Korean movies, so I have split that off into another library. My thought was to use the standard Movies-menu for one source, and change another menu for the other. The main Movies-menu works as intended, meaning when I enter it, it goes straight to the list of movies, which I've setup with viewtype icons.

For the second one, I've renamed Videos and gone to Change Type -> Video Library -> Sources -> selected the second movie library -> Create Menu Item Here -> Movies. Now, when entering the second menu element, instead of going straight to the list of movies, it takes me to a list of libraries first. Then I have to select the second movie library, and then it takes me to the movie list.

I've tried several variants of the "Change Action" options when customizing the menus with different results, but have not found one that has the intended effect.
@Parallax911 , there seems to be a bug in script.skinshortcuts (the addon Amber uses for the menu/submenu/widget customization) when using sources as menu items, that leads to the behavior you describe.  I was able to replicate the issue in my test machine.

While I do not have a solution for the issue itself, I think you will be able to achieve the same results with another option.  If your second library is in a different path (different hard drive,server, directory, etc.), you can create a movie smart playlist with the rule of the path containing the name of the path where you have your second library.  Then, you can create a menu item that displays that playlist that you created.  This works just fine.

The only downside (you would have had the same downside with the source as menu item also) is that you will not have a submenu with things like "Recently Added", "Sets", "Directors", "Studios" and so on that you have with the regular Movies menu item.  The best way to accomplish that would be to create a new video node, based on the movies video node, that points to your separate library.  You can use the "library node editor" addon to do that.  You can see information on video nodes here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_nodes.

I hope this information is useful.

Regards,

Bart