Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi does not play videos from certain shares
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi will not play video from an SMB share in 90% of cases. 

I have created the following log file:
http://paste.kodi.tv/uqekaquqam

The lines that I consider important are the following:
2020-02-23 20:16:10.777 T:17374   <span class="hljs-deletion">ERROR:</span> Read - Error( -1, 110, Connection timed out )
2020-02-23 20:16:10.777 T:17374   <span class="hljs-deletion">ERROR:</span> Open - error probing input format, smb://FRITZ-NAS/FritzPlatte/TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-11/21 Bridges.mkv
2020-02-23 20:16:10.778 T:17374   <span class="hljs-deletion">ERROR:</span> ExtractThumb - Error creating demuxer

I have used the following hardware and software:
Fire TV Stick with Kodi 18.2 (connectet to the router by wifi)
Fire TV Box with Kode 18.5 (connectet to the router by LAN)
Fritzbox 7490 with attached USB storage that is shared by SMB

From my point of view I could limit the problem to the fact that it only occurs in connection with Kodi and the SMB share of my router. For this I have made the following tests:

Playback device: Fire TV stick 
Device that provides SMB sharing: Fritzbox
Storage device: USB stick
Result: No

Playback device: Fire TV box 
Storage device: USB stick

Storage device: USB HDD

Playback device: Fire TV box 

Playback device: laptop
Result: Yes

Playback device: smartphone

Device that provides SMB sharing: NAS
Storage device: HDD

I couldn't think of any other meaningful test. I tried to solve the problem for several days in vain and searched the internet completely. I must add that the problem occurred overnight. You hear this very often, but I wouldn't know anything that has changed.

Ask me anything you want to know. I'm grateful for any information.
What NAS user/password are you using on the devices, and has that user got access to the NAS share on the Fritz!Box?

Check in "System > FRITZ!Box Users > Users" (at least that's where it is on my 7590).

Also where applicable, what max and min SMB versions do you have set up on each device? Make sure the client and server have at least one protocol (SMB1/SMB2/SMB3) in common so they can communicate.
(2020-02-24, 00:04)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]What NAS user/password are you using on the devices, and has that user got access to the NAS share on the Fritz!Box?

Check in "System > FRITZ!Box Users > Users" (at least that's where it is on my 7590).

Also where applicable, what max and min SMB versions do you have set up on each device? Make sure the client and server have at least one protocol (SMB1/SMB2/SMB3) in common so they can communicate.
Hi DarrenHill,

Thank you very much for your fast answer.

Thanks for the hint with the users, but I have to add that I can access the USB medium very well to list the existing files. And in very rare cases it will work, but almost always it will not work. Then kodi tries to load the file for several minutes and finally aborts. The log will contain the above mentioned errors.

Furthermore I checked the SMB versions:
The router currently only supports SMB 1. 
Kodi had the factory settings, so all versions up to 3 are supported. Therefore I have changed the following settings:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Services/SMB_Client

Unfortunately I was able to change the settings as I wanted, the problem still existed.

Do you have any more tips for me?
Unfortunately not offhand.

Those were the SMB settings I was meaning, so if matching them on the non-functional devices to those that work doesn't help and if the settings for the sources (user and password) are also the same and correct then I'm not sure where to go.

SMB1 is not recommended to be used, as it's a security nightmare (search the net for "Wannacry" for more details).
(2020-02-24, 09:45)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately not offhand.

Those were the SMB settings I was meaning, so if matching them on the non-functional devices to those that work doesn't help and if the settings for the sources (user and password) are also the same and correct then I'm not sure where to go.

SMB1 is not recommended to be used, as it's a security nightmare (search the net for "Wannacry" for more details).

I wanted to give feedback that I could fix the problem:
I can't really say what it was. The important step was to install a new beta version of the Fritzbox. Maybe the important change was that the new version supports SMB V2 and V3. 

Maybe this information will help someone.
Thanks for the feedback - useful to know (although in my case I don't share from my FritzBox, I use my Synology for that).

Thread marked solved.