Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Video Chain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last year I bought a new PC, Intel UHD 630 graphics, windows 10, leia 18.5 and Panasonic tv.

After experimenting I set things up as Kodi full --> GPU full--> TV limited. Great blacks without crushing.

However I had one nagging doubt about the picture, glare on faces causing loss of detail and looking too cool. Yesterday I tracked down the culprit, the intel contrast enhancer, turned it off and boom, warm glare free skin tones. Problem is blacks are now crushed.

So in taking a fresh look at my setup, are the holy trinity of correct video levels outlined in the wiki still set in stone? , Full, Full, Full, Full, Limited, Limited and Limited, Full, Limited, all 3 of which produce washed out blacks on my system with all the intel stuff switched off.

Anyone else out there with intel who can share their settings?

Not a fan of using gimmicks like the contrast enhancer, but it’s the only way I can achieve proper blacks. Basically I’m looking for a setup to get good blacks without the white glare. If it doesn’t exist, what I’ve got is still stunning, if flawed.

Considering that from kodi 17 video is processed as limited, is the wiki no longer relevant?

Why when when I turn on limited , do my blacks get messed up?

Really I’m just looking for clarification here so that I can forget about all this!
(2020-02-28, 11:24)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]Really I’m just looking for clarification here so that I can forget about all this!

The following still works for me (under Windows) on my Intel NUC7 (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 graphics):

Kodi - Limited
Driver Quantization Range - Full
YCbCr - Off
Video Input Range - Application Setting
Samsung TV - Low (Limited)
All video enhancements (contrast, film mode, etc.) off

No crushed blacks, good skin tones.
(2020-02-28, 21:10)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-28, 11:24)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]Really I’m just looking for clarification here so that I can forget about all this!

The following still works for me (under Windows) on my Intel NUC7 (Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 graphics):

Kodi - Limited
Driver Quantization Range - Full
YCbCr - Off
Video Input Range - Application Setting
Samsung TV - Low (Limited)

Thanks whysoserious, I really appreciate your reply, you’ve confirmed that I’m not wrong and there is still hope!

One thing to clarify, where do you turn off ycbcr?, I can’t see it.
(2020-02-29, 09:11)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]One thing to clarify, where do you turn off ycbcr?, I can’t see it.

(2020-02-29, 19:09)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-29, 09:11)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]One thing to clarify, where do you turn off ycbcr?, I can’t see it.

Interesting, in that box I have xvYCC instead, I wonder why?
(2020-02-29, 20:30)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, in that box I have xvYCC instead, I wonder why?
I'm too lazy to google that, but you could try turning it off and see what happens? Also, what reference media are you using to check your BTB and WTW levels?

The AVS HD 709 files are a handy tool... AVS HD 709
(2020-02-29, 21:17)whysoserious Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-29, 20:30)captainfearless Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting, in that box I have xvYCC instead, I wonder why?
I'm too lazy to google that, but you could try turning it off and see what happens? Also, what reference media are you using to check your BTB and WTW levels?

The AVS HD 709 files are a handy tool... AVS HD 709 
Believe me, i don’t post here before googling/testing, xvYCC stays off as it makes the picture misty.

Just tried your settings, and the blacks are grey. Also using other players such as VLC, blacks are crushed. Only the contrast enhancer produces deep detailed blacks.

The ycbcr might be the key, as on my AMD card in the past, changing the pixel ratio to rgb was essential.

I’ve tweeted Intel about the issue.

Thanks for the 709 stuff, i‘ll use later. At this stage my eyes will suffice!
So just to wrap this up, I have now finished my configuration. In the hope that it might help someone, here are my settings.

Updated to the latest intel driver.

Full, full, full.

video input application default

Thread marked solved.