Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playing HEVC HDR 10 on Linux - video stutters and lags, audio fine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

This is my first topic on Kodi's forum. First, I want to express to you how much I appreciate the work accomplished by each contributor. All of you accomplished a brilliant job, creating over the years more than a simple app : a reference !
Well, I'm coming to you tonight in order to find some clear answers about Kodi playback, and Linux system facing hardware acceleration.

My problem occurs when I'm trying to play movies encoded in HEVC 10bits - 4K. I can't watch these videos cause image stutters during some seconds. On the other hands, audio playback is fine, without any lag.

There is some informations about my hardware :
• HP ProLiant Gen10 Microserver
• CPU AMD Opteron x3216
• 8Go ECC RAM
• GPU Radeon Pro WX2100

The OS is Debian buster, installed with GUI. The display manager is lightDM and the driver running with GPU is the open-source amdgpu, up to date. 
Kodi knows my GPU on the info panel, so I suppose the dedicated GPU is being used. VAAPI and VDPAU hardware acceleration are installed and they look to be working.

I'm trying since a long time to find answers by my own but my search isn't really successful. We can see on the graphic card datasheet (Here) the capability of 4K HEVC decode through the Open GL API.

On the paper, I should be able to watch my favorites movies in 4K HDR, right ??  What's going wrong ? How can I can't resign !

An help about this topic would be much appreciated  Smile
Most likely CPU bottleneck.

Please post a Debug Log and the output of "vainfo"
(2020-03-09, 21:19)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Most likely CPU bottleneck.

Please post a Debug Log and the output of "vainfo"

Hey, thanks for you answer ! Here we are : kodi.log
Quote:20:24:08.822 T:139671447566080 NOTICE: HEVC_MAIN 186 65536 4096 4096

No HEVC_MAIN10 support with nvidia vdpau.

What about the "vainfo" ? Which codecs does it support via vaapi? Your only chance is vaapi support for decoding.
(2020-03-09, 22:09)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]No HEVC_MAIN10 support with nvidia vdpau.

What about the "vainfo" ? Which codecs does it support via vaapi? Your only chance is vaapi support for decoding. 
Unfortunatly I already tried to type vainfo, it returns command not found. I dug into this page, trying to see what vainfo and vdpau can says, but no one of them worked. After this I've tried to see if  libva-mesa-driver was isntalled.

I .. I think I never build them ?
Try to ask on Debian irc channel. Normally it's just an install command via apt.
@xetyr - I am confused, if you're missing the vainfo executable, you need to install the package that provides it.  Are you saying you did this and are still missing it?
Hey, I finally got vainfo Big Grin
I don't know why I did not install it before, the simple command 'apt install vainfo' worked.

Well, the return of vainfo shows me HEVC is supposed to be supported by hardware acceleration :
VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
(2020-03-12, 07:54)xetyr Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the return of vainfo shows me HEVC is supposed to be supported by hardware acceleration :

You'll find the HEVCMAIN10 entry missing.
Nvidia on Linux only supports 8bit video, not 10bit with VAAPI.
Therefore, it's unlikely it plays HDRxx videos properly.
Quote:GPU Radeon Pro WX2100

He uses a radeon, but as he as cut everything from vainfo that would enable us to check which version, etc. let me summarize: No, it won't work for you. You need 10 bit acceleration, but don't have it. Buy new hardware.
Hello,
nvidia just released new driver supporting 10bit/12bit HEVC decoding with VDPAU. What a strange thing to do it few years late Sad 
ffmpeg also added support for this.
Is there any chance this may come to future kodi version or is VDPAU completely abandoned in kodi now?
Kodi won't work without Renderer Support and here is the culprit as always: Interop won't work.
thanks for info fritsch