Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Permanently Disable/Turn off Subtitles?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know how to turn them off during playback but everytime I start/restart items it defaults back to the encoded default subtitle. I had this in the normal Xbox XBMC too. I was wondering if there is a way to just permanently disable the feature completely without having to go to the menu once the video starts and manually disable it?

Its rather annoying and I could careless about subtitles as they and I speak proper english just fine lol.
Sorry forgot to mention.

Hardy Heron 8.04.1LTS - and XBMC from PPA 5-18-2008 (SVN shows unknown)
System is Celeron 430, GeForce 7100, 2GB Ram, 500GB HD, SB Audigy.

All works great just the above is a problem well more annoyance.
Yeah, there is and it drove me NUTZ too. If you know how to turn them off during playback you're close - there's a setting, and I cannot recall where, that allows you to take what you've set and make it the DEFAULT. Look for that, I'd tell you where but it took me awhile to find it and I've forgotten where it was. Something on one of the main config menus would sure be appreciated for this down the road.

Hrm, so DVDs are working for you? Nice!
BLKMGK Wrote:Yeah, there is and it drove me NUTZ too. If you know how to turn them off during playback you're close - there's a setting, and I cannot recall where, that allows you to take what you've set and make it the DEFAULT. Look for that, I'd tell you where but it took me awhile to find it and I've forgotten where it was. Something on one of the main config menus would sure be appreciated for this down the road.

Hrm, so DVDs are working for you? Nice!

ISO images of DVDs work great streamed from my Buffalo NAS device, If your referring to inserting an actual DVD disc into the HDPC center, I have not done that since I have a Pioneer Elite DVD player for that job. I would assume it should work nonetheless, I'll drop one in and let you know later on.

What Im considering is changing the DVD drive out for a BluRay drive since they can be had for about 100bucks. If XBMC plays BluRays off that fine I may avoid having to buy a Playstation3 for a bit at least hehe still wanna add it to the collection of consoles Ive got stacked up already (Wii, Xbox, Xbox360, PSP, PS2)...

In regards to that default setting I could of swore Ive done what I believe your referring too... But it still somehow turns on at some point (I may be wrong I could of done that while not playing a movie that did it). I'll give it a go and let ya know. But yea its really annoying as ever to have some funky language start scrolling across the screen when its not needed.
A bit OT but... Blu-Ray is a no go. I rip all of mine and convert them to high quality MKV files then play them. There's no decryptor available for BD and BD+ on Linux that I'm aware of - I use SlySoft's AnyDVD-HD on Windows Vista 64.

The default setting thingy I did while playing a movie, that much I DO recall!

Ripped VOB/IFO is the sort of DVD I've been trying to play, I'm slowly starting to convert those files to ISO with DVD Shrink now that I've figured it out. <ahem> But last I tried to play one it bombed so wanted to know if ISO was working again - the file played fine on my XBOX though!
BLKMGK Wrote:A bit OT but... Blu-Ray is a no go. I rip all of mine and convert them to high quality MKV files then play them. There's no decryptor available for BD and BD+ on Linux that I'm aware of - I use SlySoft's AnyDVD-HD on Windows Vista 64.

The default setting thingy I did while playing a movie, that much I DO recall!

Ripped VOB/IFO is the sort of DVD I've been trying to play, I'm slowly starting to convert those files to ISO with DVD Shrink now that I've figured it out. <ahem> But last I tried to play one it bombed so wanted to know if ISO was working again - the file played fine on my XBOX though!

Thanks for the tips about BD and linux. Also just tried BeerFest DVD, played fine, I did notice that XBMC shrunk and the Linux MPlayer also started at the same time I inserted the DVD. So looks like I gotta disable that. But yea played fine, and I can play ISOs of DVDs from DVD Decrypter both DVD5 and DVD9 format sizes. I also had a video that was VOB/IFO format and it played it fine when I told it to play the folder or specific parts.

As for the original topic (sorry for getting off) You were right BLKMGK at the bottom of that menu there was an option to save as default during playback configuration. Tried a couple movies (granted they are all ones Ive watched) but will see if it sticks for anything new that comes in.

Thanks again bud.
I have discussed this with elupus and this is not so easy to solve. (can't remember the specifics atm but it had something to do with DVDs vs media files, a search here might turn something up.)
The only way I know of to do this is via the OSD menu:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=OSD_Audio_an...e_Settings

But beware it makes all the other settings default also.
I just wanted to mention that this has to be the most annoying issue I have with XBMC. It just doesn't make sense that there can't be a global setting for subtitles that allows the user to disable/enable them. If in the OSD I can easily turn them on/off, it doesn't make any sense that you can't have a global setting. I understand some movies have forced subtitles and it might be difficult to distinguish between them, but really, I rather that be MY choice. I run into a movie that has forced subtitles, I rather turn them on manually. Considering that 99% of the movies I watch I don't need subtitles having them on by default is really annoying. Yes I know I can tell it to make that the default for all movies in the OSD, but guess what, I add new movies all the time. So I'm constantly having to go through this process over and over.

My recommendations:
Add a global setting for subtitles (always on or always off). Let the user decide what he wants the global setting to be since he is the only one that would know the language that the majority of his library consists of.

Still allow the OSD to turn them on/off as needed by the user.

As it is, it's always on. Just let users decide the default behavior. We're not asking you to be able to 100% handle the subtitles automatically in all cases, but at least give us an option to just turn them off completely. And don't mention that dam OSD again hehe, it only works for what is in the library at the time!

Thanks,
psypher
While I do agree with you that the global option should be available somewhere other than the audio settings in the OSD, your description of how things currently work is false. By default, subtitles are enabled, and the default player settings (which each newly added video inherits) also have them enabled. When you disable subtitles in the OSD and choose "use as default for all movies," all of the per-movie video settings in the db are cleared and the player defaults are updated with the current values. When you add a new video, these defaults are then inherited as expected. I just disabled subs for all movies and scanned in some new ones. Subs were disabled for them as well.
Quote:When you disable subtitles in the OSD and choose "use as default for all movies," all of the per-movie video settings in the db are cleared and the player defaults are updated with the current values. When you add a new video, these defaults are then inherited as expected. I just disabled subs for all movies and scanned in some new ones. Subs were disabled for them as well.

Ok I'll double check this. It might have been something else, but I could have sworn this was happening to me. I've had to disabled subtitles in the OSD many times, even after telling it to save as default for all. I'll probably chuck this one up to some Vista security issue that I had at one point, but have fixed since then. So I'll test this again.

But definitely something should be done about how subtitle's are handled. Even forced subtitles should be able to be handled relatively simple. I know programs like Handbrake are really good at detecting them as I've never had any issues selecting the correct ones based on the information that Handbrake gives me. I believe if a subtitle is < 10% of the movie it's considered a forced subtitle.

At a minimum the subtitle global default setting should be part of the XBMC settings somewhere seeing as currently the only option is through the OSD which will reset a lot more options than just subtitles being overridden.

Additional recommendation:

If subtitles are disabled, automatically detect forced subtitles and use the one based on the language setting, but still allow the user to turn off even the forced subtitles for that particular movie in the OSD.

Thanks,
psypher
To turn off subtitles!
Open the config file ".xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml" and search for "showsubtitles".

replace TRUE with FALSE then save and restart XBMC and subtitles should now be disabled by default.

it will work on all newly added movies. old movies will remain cached so you will have to turn subtitles off manually.

I was looking for this too! found it and I share it here now, But that is not exactly what I was looking for Smile I want to turn off only MKV integrated subtitles and not the ones I add manually in a different file (.srt, .sub,...)
Anyone can help me with my problem? Smile
marko-mb Wrote:To turn off subtitles!
Open the config file ".xbmc/userdata/guisettings.xml" and search for "showsubtitles".

replace TRUE with FALSE then save and restart XBMC and subtitles should now be disabled by default.

whatHuh

if you open audio settings under OSD you can just click enable subtitles and "set as default for all movies.." will apply that to all the movies/tv shows
(2009-06-30, 00:34)althekiller Wrote: [ -> ]While I do agree with you that the global option should be available somewhere other than the audio settings in the OSD, your description of how things currently work is false. By default, subtitles are enabled, and the default player settings (which each newly added video inherits) also have them enabled. When you disable subtitles in the OSD and choose "use as default for all movies," all of the per-movie video settings in the db are cleared and the player defaults are updated with the current values. When you add a new video, these defaults are then inherited as expected. I just disabled subs for all movies and scanned in some new ones. Subs were disabled for them as well.

I know this is a way long dead post so I really hope you're still around to see this, but THANK YOU SO MUCH, the subtitles always being on was driving me insane Big Grin I googled for hours tonight trying to figure this out before I just happened across the old post, so again THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! Also Thank you XBMC Forum guys for Not deleting old posts!!!!
OK, For all the Newbies like me... to get rid of the subtitles. Start a video, then go to the sound Icon and click on it. When the Audio-Setting window comes up, go down to the Enable subtitles and take out the Dot. Now go on down to where it says "Set as default for all Videos and click it. You are now good to go !
(2013-02-23, 19:47)DJdave01 Wrote: [ -> ]OK, For all the Newbies like me... to get rid of the subtitles. Start a video, then go to the sound Icon and click on it. When the Audio-Setting window comes up, go down to the Enable subtitles and take out the Dot. Now go on down to where it says "Set as default for all Videos and click it. You are now good to go !

Great tip, thanks. It works well!!
Pages: 1 2