Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Source too slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I have next setup:
1) My Linux mint pc with Kodi as UPnP / DLNA server;
2) My Xiaomi Mi TV 4s with Kodi as client;
3) Both server and client have wired connection to the router.

When I'm trying to watch 4k movies from server movie often freezes and I get a message "source too slow".
Speed test is showing that connection speed is 82,22 Mbps for download and 60.40 Mbps for upload it should be enough.

Is there some way to fix my problem?
(2020-03-19, 17:31)stassi4ek Wrote: [ -> ]82,22 Mbps for download and 60.40 Mbps for upload it should be enough.

Those speeds sound more like wifi connections.
Is your wired connection only 100 Mbps?

UPnP wouldn't be my choice for file serving.
Can't Kodi on the TV not do NFS/Samba connections?
(2020-03-19, 21:26)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-03-19, 17:31)stassi4ek Wrote: [ -> ]82,22 Mbps for download and 60.40 Mbps for upload it should be enough.

Those speeds sound more like wifi connections.
Is your wired connection only 100 Mbps?

UPnP wouldn't be my choice for file serving.
Can't Kodi on the TV not do NFS/Samba connections? 
Yes, wired connection is only 100 Mbps. Thank you I will try something else instead of UPnP. But what is wrong with UPnP? As I red it is a good choise. Why you wouldn't choose it?
(2020-03-20, 00:33)stassi4ek Wrote: [ -> ]Why you wouldn't choose it?

For one, UPnP doesn't support external subtitles on my (older) devices. I'm not sure what the current situation is on UPnP support, I haven't used it for ages. UPnP also seems to create/process more network traffic, which doesn't help if you have a slow(er) local network.

If you have more than one Kodi client, running a MySQL database for all of Kodi's metadata shouldn't be too hard to install on your Linux PC. I've been using MySQL on Ubuntu for years. You will have to rescrape your media collection though.
The same applies to NFS, it has less quirks than SMB because of all the versioning going on around Samba lately. I've been using NFS without major hiccups since XBMC Eden, some 8 years ago.

But also, some Linux (mint) network drivers might not work upto par, as 82 & 62 Mb/s could or should be nearer to 100Mb/s, So maybe you have 'average' utp cables, or a router isn't working as fast as it should... It can all add up.
4K bluray movies go up to 50 Mb/s, and videos that are improperly remuxed/ripped could go even higher. A speed test is one thing, streaming a media file does have some other overhead data as well.
Try creating a direct source (SMB or NFS) from your TV to your Linux PC and see if your 4K video runs better.